DC's Youth Football Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  
Author: Subject: Offensive line blocking scheme.
tiger37
Junior Varsity

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Offensive line blocking scheme.

Hey, coaches,
Looking for some opinions on a blocking scheme for my offensive line.
I am going to be teaching offensive line this year for a team of 7 > 9 yr olds. And, there are certainly some obstacles involved that will need to be addressed.
1.)I am a rookie Head Coach.
2.)I have never taught offensive line before.
3.)The age group of my team.

And, of course there are others. I am trying to decide between using OIL or using a zone blocking scheme- or neither.
I read two very good articles by coltscoach on zone blocking in general and coach Mahonz on outside zone blocking. And, I've been trying to find as many articles as possible on offensive line schemes, techniques, etc...
My OC will handle the skill positions. But, I want a line that is fluid and works well with whatever running scheme he comes up with.
I was a db in in my playing days. My background is mainly oriented towards defense. So, I would really appreciate any helpful tips with the o-line.
I guess the only small glimmer of light in this whole thing is that I served in the Army and served as a DC last year for a 8>9yr old team. So, I do have a bit of experience at teaching repetitive drills to fighting men and small children. :)
CoachGuy
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote

What offense are you leaning towards?

Are there defensive limits like heads up linemen, or no blitzing rules?

Are coaches on the sideline, or in the huddle?

DC's finger blocking rules in the DC Wing-T are good for the little guys.

So is GOOD/GOD rules ala Calande, and SAB blocking is finally emerging as a viable blocking scheme, even at the high school level.
mahonz
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote

T

Zone would melt your mind unless you decided to really study up on it.

SAB is a good place to start with the little guys but, like Coach G says it depends on the offense you choose. I would suggest going with one of these offensive packets some of these coaches offer. Some are free some are not but everything is spelled out. That would help you as a defensive mind get your arms around the offense.

Coach Mike
coltscoach
Administrator

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote

You have to deciede that you are going to jump in and jump.. now what type of scheme are you going to run... I dont think a zone would work well with a double wing.

Then jump... me and mahonz both run simular "cock and fire" schemes.... in other words we like to throw it.

If it aint in the air I dont care.....

Then I would bail deep deep into studying it.
tiger37
Junior Varsity

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote

My OC will decide on the the running scheme. He is a friend and has several years of coaching experience under his belt. He hasn't yet given me his final plays. But, I know he favors the wishbone as a primary formation. And, he uses the Wing-T as a second formation. Most plays will be ran out of the wishbone.
We won't pass nearly as much as we run. And, my OC prefers misdirection plays over power running plays. He has a point. The sweep is king at our level; followed closely by the reverse.

I do have the time and dedication to study zone blocking. I am worried about finding available material...i.e... Coach Mahonz article on OZ blocking was great. But, I have yet to find an article on IZ blocking with that much attention to detail. And, am not sure that I need both IZ and OZ blocking if I were to choose to zone block.
I will start looking for more information on SAB blocking. If anyone knows where there's some great study material readily available, or can give me a detailed explanation, on SAB blocking, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks, Coaches
gsfootball
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote

http://gregorydoublewing.com/ARTICLES.html

http://gregorydoublewing.com/GDWSALE.html
DumCoach
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 02:53 AM Reply With Quote

As you may have noticed, no one supported OIL blocking. It won't pick up the blitz. Zone blocking is for deep set backs - usually 6-7 yards - 5 at most.
coltscoach
Administrator

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote

Or shot gn teams that run some, or crazy guys who dont think that their is another way. I am with DC I like the deep set in the gun to give the zone the best chance to set up the blocks. Call me crazy but it also helps when your throwing it.
tiger37
Junior Varsity

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote

Thanks, Coaches!
I've pretty much decided to go with SAB & Wedge blocking. It seems to be the best choice for me as a rookie OL coach, our offense and age group.
And, thanks, GSfootball for those links.
tiger37
Junior Varsity

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote

Hey again, Coaches,

One blocking scheme I didn't mention- because I'm not familiar with it- is GOOD/GOD.
Would that scheme go better with a 7>9yr wishbone offense than my plan to use SAB & Wedge? Again, I am not familiar with GOOD/GOD. Can anyone direct me to any information about how it works? Or, can anyone explain it to me?
gsfootball
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote

It's a spin on the "Gap, On, Down" blocking scheme used by most DW teams.

http://www.coachcalande.com/

But if you are into buying there is no better place to start than right here.

http://www.coachwyatt.com/

I think you are in the wrong backfield formation. Just do it. Sell your soul to the DW gods. You will not regret it.
CoachRob
Bobblehead

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote

Hello Tiger37:

DW with either SAB or GOD blocking paired of with the wedge works well.

Use the SAB if you have smaller less athletically inclined players; otherwise use GOD. Whatever you decide it rep it and rep it some more. Coach Gregory has a very good Power Point on SAB blocking.
bretzke
Junior Varsity

[*] posted on 3-23-2006 at 04:52 AM Reply With Quote

Tiger-

Have you seen Fish's Rubics Cube playbook?

It might be up your alley. E-mail me and I'll send it to you.

Brian
info@fentonfootball.com
tiger37
Junior Varsity

[*] posted on 3-23-2006 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote

Thanks again, Coaches:

I really enjoy(and, need) all the help I can get from you guys. I'll check out more on GOOD/GOD. I've read aobut Fish's Rubics Cube, etc... Good stuff.

I am only the HC; not the OC. So, my power is limited in deciding which offense we'll run. :P I am teaching the OL in support of my OC's offensive scheme. And, I want to be ready.
The one thing that I promised my OC is that I would not tell him how to run the offense. And, neither would I interfere. I will keep that promise. I was a DC last year for a team. And, my HC interfered with the defense that I chose to run. He never gave the 4-4 a chance. And, he didn't have any ideas on how to improve it. In fact, the ideas that he had would've only made things worse. So, I abandoned the 4-4 and went with GAM.
In all honesty, I really wish that my OC would go with the DW. I've printed up articles, etc...and given him information on it. But, so far, he hasn't said he'd run it. He loves to read about how different coaches do things. But, in the end, he has his own ideas and that's fine with me. I'll make suggestions. But, I won't override him.

Go To Top