Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  
Author: Subject: 3-3-5 The Best D
CoachRDS
NCAA

[*] posted on 9-13-2007 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
3-3-5 The Best D

I currently running the 3-3-5 D. I love it. We had our first scrimmage (season starts late) Saturday the 8th. We litteraly shut them down. 1st half total offensive yards for opposing team 12 yards. 2nd half total 8 maybe 10 yards (NO SCORES.) I firmly believe in this defense. We won 21-0. I will also add I am running DC wing T offense. 1st game this weekend 15th looking for same results.
coltscoach
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-13-2007 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote

good. what did the other team think of it.

Im back
CoachRDS
NCAA

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote

Very confused about what D we were running. Could not believe he did not score. Yet did not ask any questions about what D we were using. Oh well......
DumCoach
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote

Good luck with it tomorrow. I adopted a version of it Thursday night. Here's what I did:

...........................F
......B1.....................B5
..........B2....B3....B4
..E......T.......N......T........E
.....O..O..O..0..O..O..O
..................O.................O
..................O
..................O

LBers B2-B3 are patting butts and blitzing. The only kids on the entire team that can tackle are B1, B5, and F. The rest create a pile by slanting. My opponent trains their TB to "bounce" outside against a pile which should bounce him right into B1 or B5 backed up by F.
Worked fine in practice but, in practice, the scout offense team was composed of nose pickers, space cadets, and girls...
Ravan22
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote

DC do you use the Will and Sam calls or do you allow the Lbers to Tap the side of their choice?
CoachDanH
PRO

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote

I will say one thing about this defense - if you lose both Bandit and Reaper in a game you are in a world of hurt if their replacements decide they can't tackle that day. We did and it was ugly. The D worked as planned, all plays got funnelled to the 2 studs, but when the studs ain't there and your team misses an average of 5 tackles per sweep attempt it's not pretty.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ravan22
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote

I think thats any D....DanH....

We have gone through those same things in the DC46...I happen to have lost my Sam, Fred and Nick
CoachDanH
PRO

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote

Oh yeah, I totally agree Ravan. We switched to 3-3-5 because I didn't feel we had enough studs for DC46. I still have to give credit to the defense, we really did have opportunities to limit the damage without the 2 studs, but no one cared to tackle (other than my Mike, who was an absolute monster as usual). If we don't get either one back next week then we will likely have to move him to one of the 2 spots, but he really wreaks havoc in the middlle, so we are losing the inside pressure that we really need.

Here's a couple of clips before the meltdown. We were up 6-0 midway thru the 1st, ended up losing 34-6.

http://media.putfile.com/Meet-at-the-QB
http://media.putfile.com/Antonio-with-a-sack
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CoachDanH
PRO

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote

In the interest of fairness, here are the TDs we allowed yesterday. I lost count on the number of missed tackles we had. To make things worse, I found out my WB/Bandit has a broken leg and is done for the season.

http://media.putfile.com/FallsburgTD1
http://media.putfile.com/FallsburgTD2
http://media.putfile.com/FallsburgTD3
http://media.putfile.com/FallsburgTD4
http://media.putfile.com/FallsburgTD5
Ravan22
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote

I understand, our game a week ago looked very similar..

When it was working for you, what was your thought on the D DanH
CoachDanH
PRO

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote

I think the D is great, and a much simpler and quicker install than DC46. If I had assistant coaches that wanted to spend the time on the DC46 and enough studs I would have stuck with that, but we don't. The 3-3-5 was an easy install, basic enough for the kids to understand, and allowed them to attack in places where the DC46 forced them to think too much. Not a knock on the DC46 at all, they just had to think more because we could not coach the instinctual stuff into them well enough (IMO).

Looking at these clips, the D is not to blame here, it's a lack of effort and desire. We had the exact same situations the week before and made all those tackles, winning 26-0. Granted, we had the 2 studs at Rover and Bandit in that first game, but I think in the 2nd game the scheme was there, but the execution was not. If you are going to miss 4-5 tackles per play you are going to get scored upon.

My 3rd stud was at Mike for the first 2 games but I think we will move him to Bandit and move Sam to Mike. Sam is nowhere near as good, but he is a big, quickish kid and moves forward pretty well so hopefully we will be ok this week. As long as the Rover makes weight we are fine. On offense, well that is another story. We are going to have to win this one 6-0 I think.
Ravan22
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote

Okay confirmed we must goto the 3-3-5, We lost Mike and Fullback last night in practice (Broken Ankle) DC46 Back Burner till 2008.

Few questions....can I Mix Stone in with this D? or is it no needed? Playing a Double Tight I Flanker team with Speed and QB has an arm.

How do we deal with Motion. I read the Auto Blitz of the Wing T team...(Or is there no need to worry about motion with Zone)

I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions
coltscoach
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote

Not needed. re read the power point motion to a trips you blitz backside rover/ bandit if its just simple motion with a balance set run the basic slant calls.

Im back
Ravan22
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote

Thanks colts...any other stunts you would suggest...
coltscoach
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote

Yeah work on scoring. Scope and score, striping the ball, throwing the forward pass, punt returns kick off returns any time you can get a big play work on it. Football is all about who can score and score the mostestess and the fastestes

Im back
betterhalf
PRO

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote

There is no doubt that this defense puts defenders (and a lot of them) at the offenses point of attack. We have only been scored on 3 times in 3 games. When we are scored on, there are usually at least 3 missed tackles. So, we had defenders there (scheme worked) but we just didn't break it down and tackle.
Everyone wants to run sweeps on us. It's like mighty mites all over again. But, they keep trying and trying and everytime our Bandit, Sam, and Corner are there. If they miss Fred is right behind them.
I am surprised that we usually give up about 3 to 4 yards up the middle. I don't think it's the scheme. I just have smaller guys at Will, Sam, and Mike than I would like. Plus, my DT's are fast but not real strong.
We are doing well with the defense though. Fred has had 4 picks already this season.
Thanks again Colts...
Ravan22
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote

Today we test the D...We drilled the 6 Interior..Stacked them and and set up an offense with the front 5 and 2 Back set..We would huddle call the Hole and the count (No Snap Tailback had the Ball) Defense huddled and called the Will or Sam call and away we went...Took a few runs for them to get the cover the gap and hunt the Ball theory, but once they did my Starting O Line could not stop them. Now it may be that my Starting Line has 2 subs in there, but still I saw the results. This drill was like a large version of Oklahoma Drill.

Once we went Team D and put the Pit Bulls in...Wow.

I'll let you know ..
coltscoach
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote

Glad everyne is liking it. I am working a version of this that you can run with the mitey mites.

Im back
CoachDanH
PRO

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 02:14 AM Reply With Quote

We only gave up one score yesterday, on an off tackle that both Bandit and Rover had a clear shot at the kid but both whiffed. Shutout the rest of the way. Too bad my offense self destructed :(

Here's some clips.
http://media.putfile.com/Stuff-The-PAT
http://media.putfile.com/Mikey-Brings-The-BOOM
http://media.putfile.com/Billy-Nice-Tackle
http://media.putfile.com/Defending-The-Sweep
http://media.putfile.com/Pick-Off

Due to MPP rules we get almost no push from our DTs for about half the game (I have 3 kids that need 10 plays each and we rotate them as much as possible to avoid having 2 in at once). If not for that we would get more help inside.

Our Mike is a monster and teams are now starting to wedge their GCG to keep him out. When we see that we have him drop back and read sometimes (maybe half the time). We also started blitzing the corners on the short side vs this team since they had no outside passing threats.
BlueWhiteDogs
NCAA

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
335 Stuffiing Everything

For the 3rd week in a row Defense has stuffed another team. Our base D is the 335 and from time to time shift into an aggressive 6-2. When we shift between the 2, the offensive line can actually be heard saying, "now who do I block".

Past 3 weeks
0 Points scored on us.
Only 20 yards total offense of the 3 teams combined.

15 Forced Fumbles
2 Interceptions

Other teams frustrated beyond belief.
coltscoach
Administrator

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote

amazing glad you are liking it.

Im back
CoachRDS
NCAA

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote

Colts any new stunts for the upcoming year....would be very interested in them. I have incorporated a couple of my own. Just wanting to see what you might have.
Coogcoach
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote

How is the MightyMite stuff coming along????

HC 10yo team Alb NM
coltscoach
Administrator

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote

Nothing to add to it. There is nothing wrong with the system now. The technique is what makes the defense work.

Work on getting off blocks tackleing and pursuit angles, thats the secret.

Im back
CoachRDS
NCAA

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote

No you are correct nothing wrong with the system at all worked well for me this year. We did not have a great season but it was not due to our Defense. Offensive line killed me this year. Just though I would ask . Thanks
Coogcoach
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by coltscoach
Glad everyne is liking it. I am working a version of this that you can run with the mitey mites.

Quote:
Originally posted by Coogcoach
How is the MightyMite stuff coming along????

Quote:
Originally posted by coltscoach
Nothing to add to it. There is nothing wrong with the system now. The technique is what makes the defense work.

Work on getting off blocks tackleing and pursuit angles, thats the secret.

Is this answer for me or RDS?????

HC 10yo team Alb NM
CWW54
Junior Varsity

[*] posted on 7-2-2008 at 03:45 AM Reply With Quote

You can just use a scaled down version of this defense with the mites. I am installing it this fall for 6-7yr olds. I use the three basic fronts and the calls to control the stacks blitzing if I need to and one coverage. I am not taking any credit for this. I got most of this and run it similar to Coach Lawson runs it.
CoachJames
Junior Varsity

[*] posted on 7-27-2008 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote

I have a stunt we devised the other day, it is a blitz package against an overload. what we do is blitz the corner and bandit or rover against the week side of the formation with fred sliding to cover their void. we slant the front six towards the strong side. works well if their play is slow to develope.

Go To Top