Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  
Author: Subject: sheilds?
concerncoach
Varsity

[*] posted on 4-2-2008 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
sheilds?

does anybody have any good ideas on sheilds, the reason i ask is we are very low budget league and all that we are supplied with is 2 tackling dummies,and a few balls.Planks and chutes we have made over the years but we are still in need of blocking sheilds? thought that if we could make a couple that we could use. just dont know where to start????And with what too make them out of?
banditgsk
Junior Varsity

[*] posted on 4-24-2008 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote

I had big foam blocking dummies made a few years ago. I found a company that had big pieces of foam and pleaded for a reduced price since it was for football. I had to travel across the state to pick up the foam, and then I found an upholsterer to cover them. The upholsterer had some left-over vinyl he donated as well as his time to sew them. They turned out just like those you buy.

I am not sure what the hand-held ones are made of, but I think it is some type of foam, but more dense than that used for blocking dummies. Then you would need to find someone that either has an industrial grade sewing machine or find an upholsterer that is willing to help you out. Either furniture or auto upholsteres can do it, if you can find one that will help.

Hope this give you enough ideas to get started. I know how it is when your practice equipment consists of two footballs, a tee, and a few water bottles, and your field is one corner of the community park.
CoachGuy
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-25-2008 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote

Coach - are you looking to outfit one team, or the entire league?
concerncoach
Varsity

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote

i was trying too outfit my team, thanks coach for the advise on the sheild i got a few buddys at a mattress shop,maybe they can find some old foam? hey, its a start?and yeah coaching on the community park and just a few balls and very low budget to outfit a team is enuff too pull your hair out( if i had some).anyway thanks coach very thankful for any or all advise.....
davecisar
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by concerncoach
does anybody have any good ideas on sheilds, the reason i ask is we are very low budget league and all that we are supplied with is 2 tackling dummies,and a few balls.Planks and chutes we have made over the years but we are still in need of blocking sheilds? thought that if we could make a couple that we could use. just dont know where to start????And with what too make them out of?

Coach.

We went to the local High School and they gave me a few raggedy ones that we used duct tape on that were usable.
10 years later- still using them.

Believe it or not we went to the University of Nebraska Omaha and they gave us about 6 perfect shields along with about a dozen sets of shoes. Never hurts to ask, talked to the AD first, then the equipment manager.

We had the local newspaper do an article on our team along with pics of us in pratice with raggedy gear, no cleats etc. We ended up getting a huge donation off that story.
CoachShad
Hall of Fame

Mood: Are we there yet?

[*] posted on 4-27-2008 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote

I agree, ask the local High School, JuCo or University. Universities tend to buy or receive new equipment every few years. Many have contracts with Large Sponsors that require them to "Give Back" a bit to the communities.

Duct tape goes a long way to restoring a used tackling or blocking dummy.

Confidence goes way beyond the Gridiron.
CoachGuy
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-29-2008 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote

These fine gents beat me to it. Talk to the "older boys" and ask for their leftovers. They often have plenty of equipment that only needs minor TLC, just sitting in a shed somewhere, waiting for a new home.
CoachGreg
Bobblehead

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote

I'm in search of some half rounds. They can be beat up, bent up, and have a duct tape exoskeleton. Any one got any answers?

Go To Top