Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  
Author: Subject: Really angry this time
smithktj8
NCAA

mad.gif posted on 9-12-2008 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Really angry this time

So last night my son, who is a first-yr QB, is running through a running/tackling drill with our team at the beginning of practice. Two long dummies laid on their sides, ball-carrier runs between the dummies, defender hits ball-carrier in center. Not a bad drill, but my coach lines up all his DTs and DE's on one side and everyone else on the other. My boy is ok with contact but a bit timid about crossing the LOS and running the ball as a QB, and this idiot gets frustrated with him for not being aggressive enough and decides to line up TWO defenders to hit him coming through the hole after yelling at him for his timidity. I grit my teeth and decide not to say anything, thinking he'll surely be rushed by pairs of guys this big in a game situation, and if he can learn to run over them he'll be better for it. First hit, good contact but my son is driven backward and tackled hard. Idiot coach makes him do it AGAIN, and this time one or both defenders step on his foot as he's going down, and now he can't put any weight on it at all. I'm afraid he's got broken toes, and if so my sons' season is over...with 5 games left.

I don't know how to feel about this one, but I am really angry with myself for letting it happen and angry with his coach for singling him out and trying to "beat" aggressiveness into him. QB's have to be tough, and they have to be somewhat comfortable running the football, and I even know firsthand that injuries are a part of football, ...but this clown put the two hardest-hitting kids on my team against my son, and now he's injured. He was the ONLY child asked to hit two kids at once, including our stud RBs. Should I complain?
CoachDP
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by smithktj8
Should I complain?

Absolutely. However, keep in mind that how you complain about it is paramount if you want to make your point. Otherwise, you're just another angry parent.

But the coaches sound like goof balls.

--Dave
DumCoach
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote

I doubt complaining to a goof ball will do much good. But your post may be read by someone who will now know better than to try this stupid stunt.

Here are some typical "stupid stunts" youth coaches have done:

1) Helmets on in a 107 degree practice so that the kids "get used to it".
2) Line two players up to 10 yards apart and run them at each other.
3) Run over the littlest kid with the biggest kid to "toughen him up".
4) Allow live tackling of the QB's in a Passing Drill
5) The coaches themselves become part of the defense without shields.

I'm sure someone can add more.
smithktj8
NCAA

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote

"Allowing live tackling of the QB in a passing drill" that is this guy's MO...my son has been reamed in every drill we've run this season...he's trying his best to learn timing, scrambling, etc...and the bad thing is I feel like I've failed my son because I let all this go on thinking "I never played QB, he'll be rushed in a game situation, he needs to learn to handle this, I don't want to coddle him, he needs to be tough, etc."

It sucks when you're trying to do what's right for everyone, and you're a Dad/Coach who wants to be fair and not show favoritism, etc...and some dork who has already demonstrated his incompetence gets your kid hurt trying to "toughen him up."
CoachDP
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by DumCoach

I made that mistake this week. A friend of mine who coaches in another org asked me for help with his Wedge. I got out there with his kids and we were working for about an hour. They got really good at it and I decided to be the Nose Tackle. Despite starting from fit, and them taking only deliberate steps, they trampled my butt and just about gave me a concussion. The knot on my head was so big even my wife wouldn't touch it. lol Damn fine Wedge!

--Dave
mahonz
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote

Smith

A coach rides a fine line between getting the players ready for contact while not injuring them. Some drills work well while others don’t. Unfortunately some coaches learn that the hard way.

Did your son have any real blockers in front of him…or were the defenders allowed to just tee off on him? If he had real blockers, that’s a tough call. If he didn’t, then by all means blast away.

We do a drill similar to what you describe where all the linemen continually rotate thru 6 positions ( 2 d-linemen vrs 4 O-linemen ) and the linebackers/ running backs all rotate between 4 positions ( 2 linebackers verse a fullback and a tailback ). The drill gets rough but every rep has a fresh tailback…even though that tailback may not be the actual tailback. The drill isn’t about tackling the ball carrier, it’s a defensive drill to learn how to fill gaps, blow up the lead block and defeat double teams. That’s why we outnumber the defenders 6 to 4. Plus it teaches the positions to know the other side of the football. The entire drill is executed in very close quarters…so everyone is getting stepped on. Sometimes I play QB and have to get the heck outta there after the handoff.

Maybe you can suggest this.

Hope jr. is OK.

Coach Mike
mahonz
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachDP
Quote:
Originally posted by DumCoach

I made that mistake this week. A friend of mine who coaches in another org asked me for help with his Wedge. I got out there with his kids and we were working for about an hour. They got really good at it and I decided to be the Nose Tackle. Despite starting from fit, and them taking only deliberate steps, they trampled my butt and just about gave me a concussion. The knot on my head was so big even my wife wouldn't touch it. lol Damn fine Wedge!

--Dave

LOL....:P

Aint coaching fun !

Coach Mike
CoachDP
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by mahonz

Aint coaching fun !

Mike,
I can't even sleep with that side of my head on the pillow. I keep telling Deirdre to touch it and she goes "Ick! Get away!" lol

--Dave
smithktj8
NCAA

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote

Coach Mike,

No blockers... 2 "Double-stripers" which means over the league limit weight-wise for ball-carrying (90lbs+ in this case) against my 67-lb-soaking-wet son...and QB, no less. Not only was it mean-spirited, it was INCREDIBLY stupid!

Not one for babying QB's, but standard wisdom when I played was if they had to get injured at all we wanted them to get injured on game day! Not in practice and certainly not because they're being punished for not running like a fullback!
Modeerf
PRO

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Coach Mike,

No blockers... 2 "Double-stripers" which means over the league limit weight-wise for ball-carrying (90lbs+ in this case) against my 67-lb-soaking-wet son...and QB, no less. Not only was it mean-spirited, it was INCREDIBLY stupid!

Not one for babying QB's, but standard wisdom when I played was we wanted them to take their shots, if they had to take any, on gameday! Not in practice!

While I don't agree with the drill, it was out of line, I will say my QB's do everything everyone else does. As a DW team they are going to have to block as well as anyone, take shots in the front and back, and get trampled at times. I won't baby them in practice because I won't baby them in the game. Of course I also have 3 back up QB's, and two of them are really as good as the first.

coachkyle1
PRO

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
So last night my son, who is a first-yr QB, is running through a running/tackling drill with our team at the beginning of practice. Two long dummies laid on their sides, ball-carrier runs between the dummies, defender hits ball-carrier in center. Not a bad drill, but my coach lines up all his DTs and DE's on one side and everyone else on the other. My boy is ok with contact but a bit timid about crossing the LOS and running the ball as a QB, and this idiot gets frustrated with him for not being aggressive enough and decides to line up TWO defenders to hit him coming through the hole after yelling at him for his timidity. I grit my teeth and decide not to say anything, thinking he'll surely be rushed by pairs of guys this big in a game situation, and if he can learn to run over them he'll be better for it. First hit, good contact but my son is driven backward and tackled hard. Idiot coach makes him do it AGAIN, and this time one or both defenders step on his foot as he's going down, and now he can't put any weight on it at all. I'm afraid he's got broken toes, and if so my sons' season is over...with 5 games left.

I don't know how to feel about this one, but I am really angry with myself for letting it happen and angry with his coach for singling him out and trying to "beat" aggressiveness into him. QB's have to be tough, and they have to be somewhat comfortable running the football, and I even know firsthand that injuries are a part of football, ...but this clown put the two hardest-hitting kids on my team against my son, and now he's injured. He was the ONLY child asked to hit two kids at once, including our stud RBs. Should I complain?
I think you should have a talk with him about motivation.

You have to try to teach kids to like hitting, rather than teach them to just take it. A kid who likes to hit will hit for you, and a kid who doesn't will take hits for you. There's a big difference.
Justryn2
NCAA

[*] posted on 9-13-2008 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote

Totally agree with Coach Kyle on this; there is a big difference between delivering a hit and taking a hit. I'm still not sure exactly what this drill (from the original post) was supposed to teach and to whom. Lining up players in practice and having them run into each other, I've discovered over the years, doesn't actually teach anything to anyone. And you are certainly not going to get a player who seems a bit timid about taking a hit to be less timid by having the biggest, hardest hitting guys on the team tee off on him.

We all know this is a violent game and that all of the players need to play with intensity. However, you're not going to get your players to play with more intensity by having them tee off on their teammates in practice. Smithktj8, I hope your son is OK and that he hasn't been lost for the season. More than that, I hope that the stupidity of the drill that got him hurt is not repeated.
smithktj8
NCAA

[*] posted on 10-10-2008 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Update

So the good news is my son's foot tuened out to be severly bruised, but not broken.

The bad news is his coach is still a freaking idiot. We're doing our best to weather the storm. It's hard, though...i find myself grinding my teeth...alot! :)
CoachDP
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote

Take it easy and see a dentist.

--Dave
Crashtest44
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote

A thread needs be started, "Stupid Coaching Stunts and Drills" so coaches don't make the same mistake that has already been made.

Bull in the ring has been banned by Pop Warner for years. So a coach in our league has his own version. Line -up 10-12 players, take the one in the front of the line and move him out 7 yards. Now everyone in line run full speed at this player one at a time in rapid succession. Sometimes the hittee has barely had time to recover before being hit again. Sometimes he does not have the time to recover. I guess this is to instill game time experience.

SPEED KILLS. Wish I had more of it.
JrTitan
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Crashtest44
A thread needs be started, "Stupid Coaching Stunts and Drills" so coaches don't make the same mistake that has already been made.

Bull in the ring has been banned by Pop Warner for years. So a coach in our league has his own version. Line -up 10-12 players, take the one in the front of the line and move him out 7 yards. Now everyone in line run full speed at this player one at a time in rapid succession. Sometimes the hittee has barely had time to recover before being hit again. Sometimes he does not have the time to recover. I guess this is to instill game time experience.

We do a similar drill BUT: we start the kids at 5 yards, only use 5 players (4 blockers and a ball carrier), the blockers alternate shoulders, we form tackle the the ball carrier. Very controlled - we make sure the defender can protect himself and we match kids with similar ability.

"They call it coaching but it is teaching. You do not just tell them...you show them the reasons"

“…you have no bad habits to break, other than what we allow to exist… We either coach it or are allowing it to happen.”

Go To Top