Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  
Author: Subject: Offense to run against 5-3 defense
CoachDew
Varsity

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Offense to run against 5-3 defense

I's like to get some opinions on what offense you recommend against the 5-3 defense. Most of our league runs this D. I really would like to use some sort of spread offense as I have a QB that can pass (10 year olds) and some sure handed receivers.

I like the DW but I want to add more passing plays.

Would love some feedback on opinions and/or remarks of what you would run

Thanks
CoachDP
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote

Coach,

Have you coached Spread before?

--Dave
coachkev
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachDew
I's like to get some opinions on what offense you recommend against the 5-3 defense. Most of our league runs this D. I really would like to use some sort of spread offense as I have a QB that can pass (10 year olds) and some sure handed receivers.

Thanks

if you review the DCWT Manual, it offers suggestions on attacking a 5-3. This offense has a solid passing game as well
www.CoachCalande.com
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote

We have always done very well with the sprint sweep/trap/boot series vs the 53. With a spread attack you will have success sending 4 verticals if you can pass protect and get rid of the ball. Theres so much more to the passing game than a qb who can throw and some kids who can catch. You are going to need time to figure out how to work hot reads/routes into your offense since many youth DCs are going to run 6 and 7 vs your 5-6 in protection.

I think that any offense that allows you to "unbalance" the strength/numbers to one side of the ball is a great choice to attack a balanced defense like the 53.

Steve Calande
Head Football Coach
Boothbay Region HS - Maine
Owner, Writer for DOUBLE WING ILLUSTRATED Emag
Good God Blocking
46 Gambler defense

The Lead Dog often has to tear out the throat of his challengers. That is the way of the Alpha Male.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wildcatcoach
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote

Coach,
All defense and offense have strenght and weakness. Although there is probably going to be a debate.
When I face any 5-3 (forget offense's like DW, SW, DC-Wing etc..) look at the defense and attack it's weakpoint. A 5-3 is weak vs off-tackle plays..... why becuase the DE's job on this defense is outside contain and pressure to the QB. So the wether the DE Box's or Slants whichever he moves up field and exposes the off-tackle play. Again DW, SW and DC-Wing guys all have an off-tackle plays. Second
DT in a 3 tech can be trapped with a pulling BSG so you trap (counter) vs 5-3. Same thing DW, SW , DC-Wing, and I everyone should have a trap (counter).

Also look at coverage are they a 0 - send a man in motion and note what the defense does. Do they follow with the Corner. Do they slide Corner down and auto-blitz and see-saw the safety for the motion man? If it's man run motion from a wing pull the corner and hit them with a toss to strong side.

I am not a spread or DW guy but I always look at defense from it's weakest point to it strong point. Attack the weakness. with what ever system you use DW, SW, DC-Wing, Spread etc...

By the way there are plenty of ways to pass out of the DW. Ask some of the DW guys they will give you a laundry list. It's not flashy but it sure the heck is effective with a great run game.

Wildcatcoach
RobCoach_O
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:

Thanks

Everything under the sun, the 5-3 defense is the most used defense in youth football and coach that posted above me is correct. OFF tackle til the cows come home.

If you are going to run spread, make sure it is and SW Spread, where you have a tailback type player at QB. A lot of flood pass, screens, and off tackle will work nice, using jet motion to run the sweep and also to use him as a lead blocker for you of tackle play.

However, I would just go double tight swing and install the core, once you perfect that than you can install different formations.
CoachDew
Varsity

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote

Thanks all for your input. I've sat down with my OC and we think we'll have a team with many different looks. Our QB is a stud (can play QB and TB)! We have size and I have 2 very promising FB's which I would like to switch between FB and Center. 1 lightning quick wingback(my best player) and a few good hands players. Sounds great looking at these players but we all know it's about coaching them up. I'm very excited about this year as you can see.....I've been with these 10/11 year olds for 3 years now and I believe we have the talent to expand to more passing to mix it up a bit.

Coach Dave I haven't coached spread but my OC has been researching the idea ........by the way I love your article on AGGRESSION! I will use that this year...thanks
RobCoach_O
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Thanks all for your input. I've sat down with my OC and we think we'll have a team with many different looks. Our QB is a stud (can play QB and TB)! We have size and I have 2 very promising FB's which I would like to switch between FB and Center. 1 lightning quick wingback(my best player) and a few good hands players. Sounds great looking at these players but we all know it's about coaching them up. I'm very excited about this year as you can see.....I've been with these 10/11 year olds for 3 years now and I believe we have the talent to expand to more passing to mix it up a bit.

Coach Dave I haven't coached spread but my OC has been researching the idea ........by the way I love your article on AGGRESSION! I will use that this year...thanks

Coach,

If you need a Youth friendly spread playbook send me an email and I can shoot a copy of my Spread Playbook (It is very small since we only use it 15% of the time) For us it is very easy to install since our DW Line blocking schemes and terminology are seamlessly used with our Spread Package.
cyflcoach
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote

Attack the bubbles in any odd-front.
mikemichigan
NCAA

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
If you need a Youth friendly spread playbook send me an email and I can shoot a copy of my Spread Playbook (It is very small since we only use it 15% of the time) For us it is very easy to install since our DW Line blocking schemes and terminology are seamlessly used with our Spread Package.

Is there any chance I could get a copy of that?

Mike
RobCoach_O
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote

Coaches,

I got a couple of request in my U2U for my Spread playbook.

Keep in mind that the line blocking schemes stem from our DW blocking. However, a lot of the Spread attack and the selective plays I learned from Coach Glenn Harris by viewing his videos over and over and over. His blocking schemes are different from mind but you will notice some of his Spread flavor in my playbook. If you want to run the spread in youth football as your main offense I highly recommend you get all his material as he has great white board sessions, clips of his teams and shows you installation drills.

http://youthfootballguru.com/

Final note: I have selected to only include specific plays that compliment our DW attack and by no means should my SW/Spread book be considered as an installation guide. However, it can help you dive into the spread world.

When U2U me, please include email address, org you coach at, position, level and City - State.
bobh708
NCAA

[*] posted on 4-29-2009 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote

Run unbalanced line Single Wing. Like the other coaches have mentioned, run off tackle. Have passing plays that initially look like the off tackle runs. Run the CB off with a SE,run the OLB off with your WB, and throw a little sprint out flat pass to the FB/BB all day. Easy to complete, and the OLB is in a no win situation if the QB/TB has the option to run or throw. Have a misdirection play based on the same action, and you will be in business.

This is how you beat a 5-3. Off tackle and put the OLB's in conflict with a run/pass option.
abcdefg
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 4-29-2009 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote

traps work nicely
off tackle as previously mentioned
wedge
CoachKell
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by razorbacks_
Quote:

Coach,

coach you mind sending one my way? if I don't have it already

Richkelly3@hotmail.com
RobCoach_O
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote

Coach Kell,

Where do you coach at? My book explains blocking schemes and I just try to keep it away from people in my area. I don't mind sharing it but do fear facing a team that knows my exact blocking schemes line men for linemen.
coachgregory
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote

You can do a lot against a 53 in the DW. By going LOOSE and LOOSE OVER you can basically cripple a 53 as it forces them to cover down with their OLB and CB on the LOOSE pair (SE and SLOT).

I have been doing this since I started running the DW and it works really well. The key is if they don't cover that loose pair you have to have the ability to get the ball to them every play.

I use a lot of spread concepts when we run loose and most of our passes are based on simple uncovered concepts and the SLIP/BUBBLE screen so the throws are short and very high percentage. Once you do that typically what happens is the start squatting down on the LOS trying to play the short pass and squeeze down on the run...once they do that you can start to go up top at times and go for the gig play. You can also use the POWER PASS out of LOOSE since power pass is nothing more than a flood concept.

Jack

defensewins
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachDew...I have a QB that can pass (10 year olds) and some sure handed receivers.

You are going to see a ton of man coverage. From your base DW there are tons of bunch passing concepts that you could easily incorporate without motion. Then add in the motion of a WB and the bunch passing attack opens up a little bit more for a DW team. You shouldn't have to change your philosophy, identity or offense depending on your talent.

Go To Top