Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  
Author: Subject: Not showing fear when things go south
oldhatnewhat
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not showing fear when things go south

Last week, we had a game that I was sure was going to get rained out. It was raining and there was plenty of lightning in the area. The kids were supposed to be there at 6pm. I called and texted them and told them to stay available and I would let them know when I knew something. I told a couple to wait before heading to the field. At 6pm, the league said games were on. I quickly called and texted everyone to get there ASAP. The game was due to start at 6:30. (I definitely made a mistake and will tell parents to come regardless of the weather next time!).

Then I get a call from our starting NG/RG and he mom says he was bad in school and wouldn't be there. (Are you kidding me??)

At this point, I told myself that I wouldn't show how much fear I was going through no matter what else happened. Soon it was 6:15 and we had only 7 players there. The other team had all 22 kids and they were busy doing pre-game warm-ups. My AC was going ballistic. By 6:30, we had about 14 kids and were missing our starting TB, FB, SB, and 3 studs on defense.

We kicked off and called a time out to put 4 kids in new positions. Ran a play. Called another time out and move them around again.

To my and the AC's amazement, the kids responded well. The offense moved the ball, the defense held the other team to 4 and out. The game was eventually called after the first quarter and we were actually wining 6-0! (We are going to finish it next week.)

Now, I have not always been this way. I usually start panicking when star players don't show up. And we have all had that happen before.

I wrote this post in hopes of helping other coaches learn from my mistake (telling parents to wait) and learn something that has taken me 7 years to learn (not show fear to the players).
Raharu
Pro Bowl

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhatnewhat
Last week, we had a game that I was sure was going to get rained out. It was raining and there was plenty of lightning in the area. The kids were supposed to be there at 6pm. I called and texted them and told them to stay available and I would let them know when I knew something. I told a couple to wait before heading to the field. At 6pm, the league said games were on. I quickly called and texted everyone to get there ASAP. The game was due to start at 6:30. (I definitely made a mistake and will tell parents to come regardless of the weather next time!).

Then I get a call from our starting NG/RG and he mom says he was bad in school and wouldn't be there. (Are you kidding me??)

At this point, I told myself that I wouldn't show how much fear I was going through no matter what else happened. Soon it was 6:15 and we had only 7 players there. The other team had all 22 kids and they were busy doing pre-game warm-ups. My AC was going ballistic. By 6:30, we had about 14 kids and were missing our starting TB, FB, SB, and 3 studs on defense.

We kicked off and called a time out to put 4 kids in new positions. Ran a play. Called another time out and move them around again.

To my and the AC's amazement, the kids responded well. The offense moved the ball, the defense held the other team to 4 and out. The game was eventually called after the first quarter and we were actually wining 6-0! (We are going to finish it next week.)

Now, I have not always been this way. I usually start panicking when star players don't show up. And we have all had that happen before.

I wrote this post in hopes of helping other coaches learn from my mistake (telling parents to wait) and learn something that has taken me 7 years to learn (not show fear to the players).
What I generally do, and no offense if you do this but you didn't write it so I figured I'd add my two cents, I write up a first, second and third strings. That way if anything happens at any time I can just look on the sheet and I have my answer within seconds.

You're absolutely right about the "don't panic" mentality. If you do, what does that tell your second team? That will break down their confidence quickly. By the way, congratulations on winning that much of the game with your B team in. That says a lot about their coach. ;)
davecisar
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote

Coach

Good call, kids sense panic

Once at an away game- My stud TB/LB gets sick in warm ups, throws up everywhere. We had 3 kids that couldnt find the stadium and 2 more that were out sick- We had just 14 kids- very late season game.

Inside panic- outside- no problem. Started 3 Right Tight ends as RE, PT,RT. Other team was very large inner city team- We could only run about 1/2 our offense. We won 40-20 I think
Thought we would ge blown out. Ran the clock max slowdown.
www.CoachCalande.com
Hall of Fame

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 04:56 AM Reply With Quote

Speaking of panic. we won our season opening exhibition game 20-0 and came away injury free...then this week the exact opposite thing happened...it was a body bad game for us, two players taken off the field via ambulance and both dw wingbacks and our qb and our left guard....all injuried, three kids on crutches, one in a splint....sadly they are all defensive starters as well in an already suspect unit.

so the panic sets in "we dont tackle live enough, we dont scrimmage enough, we need so and so on the line, we need this and we need that"

what we all need to realize is that the guys we got slammed by were just very good. I told my team and my coaches that we were out athleted, out run, out hit, out hustled, out executed and also out coached. they were well prepared to attack the 46 and had a great game plan against the double wing (any game plan with studs like they had should work like it did).

Even assistants can panic "we shoudl put so and so on the line"...its easy for people to fail to see the bigger picture too. NO panic, stay the course when things go bad, a captain earns his reputation during the harshest of storms. We could be looking at a very rough season if we cant get and stay healthy but we will stay the course.

we need to remember that we are YOUNG. This week we will start two freshmen and 3 sophs on our oline. Our backfield will show a soph qb, soph left wing, jr fullback and a senior right wing sharing time wiht a soph.

Steve Calande
Head Football Coach
Boothbay Region HS - Maine
Owner, Writer for DOUBLE WING ILLUSTRATED Emag
Good God Blocking
46 Gambler defense

The Lead Dog often has to tear out the throat of his challengers. That is the way of the Alpha Male.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

Go To Top