Author Topic: The NFL Playoffs Fan Thread  (Read 86432 times)

Offline COACH JC

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: The NFL Playoffs Fan Thread
« Reply #195 on: January 14, 2013, 01:40:15 PM »
Mahonz,

I don't agree w/ the decision.  I would have gone for it.  My point, was i don't think it was all Fox.  I believe that Manning agreed to take a knee.  I cant see Fox overruling Manning....

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
A wager on what?

I don't think we'll even know the truth.  I would be willing to bet, that Manning agreed to take a knee...
But really thats not fair to you.  Because neither coach or QB, is going to put blame on the other.
If his arm was dead, denver is not going to pick up the option on next year....you keep claiming it was because his arm was dead....nobody else here said that.....Wager on whether manning is back in denver? I mean his arm obviously was dead ::)
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Coach E

• Benefactors
  • Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »
Kneel the football with two timeouts and 35 seconds and play for overtime with Peyton filippin' Manning?

We in Minnesota feel your pain. Watching the (up to that point) most prolific offense in NFL history take a knee with 30 seconds to go in the 1998 NFC championship game against Atlanta haunts us Viking fans to this day. I was watching at a bar and the place went dead silent when that happened. You could see it in the stands as well. Of all the Viking losses in the playoffs, that one probably hurts the most.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
- Marcus Aurelius

Offline COACH JC

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2013, 01:53:42 PM »
If his arm was dead, denver is not going to pick up the option on next year....you keep claiming it was because his arm was dead....nobody else here said that.....Wager on whether manning is back in denver? I mean his arm obviously was dead ::)

Coach, a lot of people have said his arm was dead.  His arm wore down.  Which is not a surprise considering he missed a full year.  There are places that track MPH on the football.  Go check it out.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Title: Other
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2013, 01:56:06 PM »
Coach, a lot of people have said his arm was dead.  His arm wore down.  Which is not a surprise considering he missed a full year.  There are places that track MPH on the football.  Go check it out.
then make the wager...he is no good to anybody if his arm is dead at playoff time... easy win for you.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Patriot

• Bronze
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »
Manning's arm looked fine to me all season. He made some incredible throws. He never has had an overpowering arm. He has always been about placement. In fact his football flutters more than most, but hits the target a remarkable number of times.

With 2 timeouts, 30 seconds, and 40 yards, it didn't have to be a miracle deep pass or anything with his arm tested. You can work the short sidelines in that scenario or mid-range middle.

That was a head coach decision to go for overtime. It really wasn't all that terrible of a decision. Denver had the ball in overtime 2 times with a chance to win. They just didn't execute.

Another key play to me happened in the first half. Denver drops a 3rd down pass on their way into likely FG range. Ended up punting from the opponent side of the 50, up 21-14. They catch that pass, it's likely (not gaurunteed, but likely) they position themselves for a FG. Would be up 24-14 and getting the ball to start the second half. If they score again, games all but over up 31-14, IMO.

Instead, they punt, the Ravens drive for the tying score and it's 21-21 at halftime. Same kind of hail mary type throw to end the first half.

I also love how Joe Flacco is called "great" by some today when he barely completed 50% (18-34) of his passes and at least 2 of those completions were incredible catches (like the TD to end the first half).

Broncos lost because an NFL safety doesn't understand "don't let ANYONE behind you." I knew that on the playground in elementary school.

Offline COACH JC

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2013, 02:44:38 PM »
NO QUARTERBACK IN THE ENTIRE PLAYOFFS, HAD A LOWER PCT OF DEEP THROWS THAN MANNING.
Want a comparison?  Kaepernick was at 38%....
Peyton Manning......4%!

Peyton Mannings YPA was 4 yards!  4!  Not per completion.  Per attempt!  Which was by far the loswest out of all the good QB's in the playoffs.

Still think he had the same arm strength?  Would you like me to go see where he ranked before the injury?  I GUARANTEE you, he wasn't bottom of the league w/ deep throws.  I'd bet he was in the top 10.

Offline coachmyles

• Bronze
  • "BRING THE PAIN"
  • Coaching: 9 & Under
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »
The focus should be on 3rd and 7! 3rd and 7 Fox takes the ball out of Mannings hands and runs! It is not a stretch to think it was his call to kneel the ball with 31 seconds to go. How much of this conservative play calling have to do with how Tebow performed down the stretch last year?
"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare to win"
The General Robert Montgomery Knight
(Bobby Knight)
Amat Victoria Curad
"Victory Favors the PREPARED!"

Offline COACH JC

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »
The focus should be on 3rd and 7! 3rd and 7 Fox takes the ball out of Mannings hands and runs! It is not a stretch to think it was his call to kneel the ball with 31 seconds to go. How much of this conservative play calling have to do with how Tebow performed down the stretch last year?

Coach, Mahonz said that Manning already said that he checked to a run, out of a pass play.  I don't think he would lie about it.

Offline COACH JC

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »
Heres a quote on the 3rd & 7.

"Manning took full credit for the run call on 3rd & 7. McCoy called a pass and Manning changed the play at the line of scrimmage. It seems many here are criticizing McCoy's play calling in this scenario when Manning was the person at fault. "

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »
Watched Fox's press conference.

His decision to run on 3rd and 7 after the 2 minute warning....his decision not to change the coverage after the first quarter and help Bailey....his decision to take a knee after the Ravens tied it up. Said his team was too shocked and needed that 5 minute break to regroup.

Said he will learn from this and be better for it. In 501 games...this one was so far off the norm you just roll with it and gave lots of credit to the Ravens. They were dealing with the same crazy stuff and got it done.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2013, 02:54:51 PM »

Coach, Mahonz said that Manning already said that he checked to a run, out of a pass play.  I don't think he would lie about it.

He did....it seems. 

Offline COACH JC

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2013, 02:57:46 PM »
I said Fox would fall on the sword.  That was never a doubt.  I'm more inclined to believe the guy who admitted it, in the heat of the battle, than the guy that had a day to figure it all out....

Fox doesn't even call the plays.  But he called that one?

Offline Patriot

• Bronze
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »
NO QUARTERBACK IN THE ENTIRE PLAYOFFS, HAD A LOWER PCT OF DEEP THROWS THAN MANNING.
Want a comparison?  Kaepernick was at 38%....
Peyton Manning......4%!

Peyton Mannings YPA was 4 yards!  4!  Not per completion.  Per attempt!  Which was by far the loswest out of all the good QB's in the playoffs.

Still think he had the same arm strength?  Would you like me to go see where he ranked before the injury?  I GUARANTEE you, he wasn't bottom of the league w/ deep throws.  I'd bet he was in the top 10.

I don't know, this article (along with my eyes) seem to disagree with you.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000113759/article/peyton-manning-is-the-same-as-ever-numbers-show

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »
We in Minnesota feel your pain. Watching the (up to that point) most prolific offense in NFL history take a knee with 30 seconds to go in the 1998 NFC championship game against Atlanta haunts us Viking fans to this day. I was watching at a bar and the place went dead silent when that happened. You could see it in the stands as well. Of all the Viking losses in the playoffs, that one probably hurts the most.

K

I remember that well. I was getting ready for the Denver game afterwards and was shocked. Was expecting a Denver  / Minn SB.. Both teams were off the charts good that season.