Author Topic: ALEX GIBBS ZONE BLOCKING  (Read 27789 times)

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
ALEX GIBBS ZONE BLOCKING
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:05:02 PM »
Stopped by for a brief visit.  There has been a lot of discussion on "ALEX GIBBS" Zone Blocking.  There are MANY ways to teach zone blocking, but his way is the only way WE ran it.  I'm not saying it is the best way, nor the only way, but I have never seen anyone teach it better than Alex!

I am prepared to discuss HIS methods, and answer any questions anyone might have.  To START with - here are HIS basics for anyone that might be interested:

NOTE:  O-LINE SPLITS = 18” (CONSISTENT).  OLM OFF THE BALL (HANDS ON CENTER'S SHOELACES):

INSIDE ZONE TECHNIQUE (DRIVE BLOCK TECHNIQUES):

A.   COVERED:  Take a 6” lead step aiming eyes at playside number.  Second step to crotch (do not crossover).  Hands at base of shoulder pads.

1.   If DLM stretches with you – stay on block and uncovered teammate works up on LBer.

2.   If DLM anchors on you – double team with uncovered teammate.  Stay on block until wiped off & then work upfield  aiming eyes to playside number of LBer.

3.   If DLM slants inside – force him to flatten his slant and double team with uncovered teammate.  Stay on block until wiped off & then work upfield aiming eyes to playside number of LBer.

B.   UNCOVERED:  Take a 6” lead step aiming eyes at helmet of DLM.  Do not cross over on second step.

1.   If helmet goes out on your 1st step  – 2nd step upfield aiming eyes to playside number of LBer.

2.   If helmet stays put – double team (hip to hip) with covered teammate & wipe him off on Lber.

3.   If helmet slants inside - get eyes to his playside number.  Double team with covered teammate & wipe him off on LBer.

OUTSIDE ZONE TECHNIQUE (REACH BLOCK TECHNIQUES):

A.    COVERED:  Take a 6” lead step aiming eyes at playside arm pit.  Second step slightly outside crotch (do not crossover).  Inside hand on midline & outside hand under armpit.

1.   If DLM stretches with you – stay on block and uncovered teammate works up on LBer.

2.   If DLM anchors on you – stay on block with eyes on playside arm pit. 

3.   If DLM slants inside – force him to flatten his slant by stiff arming him inside.  Stay on block until you feel uncovered teammate & then come off aiming eyes to playside number of LBer.

B.   UNCOVERED:  Take a 6” lead step aiming eyes at helmet of DLM.  You may crossover on second step.

1.   If helmet goes out & you haven’t contacted DLM by 3rd. step – work upfield  aiming eyes to playside armpit of LBer.

2.   If helmet stays put – shove him over to covered teammate and work upfield aiming eyes to playside armpit of LBer.

3.   If helmet slants inside – aim eyes to his playside armpit.  Take him over & wipe covered teammate off to LBer.

ZONE RULES:

TEACH “COVERED/UNCOVERED” (TO DETERMINES WHO ZONE BLOCKS
           AND WHO MAN BLOCKS).

A.   IF YOU ARE UNCOVERED (BY A DLM) – ZONE WITH YOUR PLAYSIDE TEAMMATE.

B.   IF YOU ARE COVERED (BY A DLM) – ZONE WITH YOUR BACKSIDE TEAMMATE (UNLESS HE IS COVERED THEN YOU MUST MAN BLOCK).

NOTE:  IF YOUR MAN IS STACKED IN A “TANDEM” – ZONE WITH TEAMMATE WHOSE MAN IS ALSO STACKED.

*******************************************************************************************

QB/RB TECHNIQUES ON INSIDE & OUTSIDE ZONE:

I.   INSIDE ZONE:

A)   QB:  OPEN TO TITE 5 O’CLOCK (RIGHT) OR 7 O’CLOCK (LEFT).  USE 2ND STEP FOR DEPTH.  EXTEND BALL – MESH POINT ON 3RD STEP.  THE 4TH STEP BEGINS NAKED MECHANICS.  GOOD FAKE OF NAKED AWAY – DRIVE FOR 5 STEPS.  NO PEEK BACK – FINISH!

B)   RB (TOES @ 7 1/2 YARDS):  FOOTWORK:  OPEN STEP, CROSS OVER, LAND MARK OUTSIDE LEG OF GUARD.   PRESS THE HOLE.  SHOULDERS PARALLEL TO L.O.S.  READ:  1ST DLM FROM INSIDE-OUT  PLAYSIDE (EXCLUDING A SHADED NOSE).  VS. BUBBLE OVER G – READ MAN ON T -  IF HE GIVES A READ TO CUT INSIDE – READ THE NOSE.
COACHING POINT:  MAKE YOUR DECISION NO LATER THAN YOUR 3rd STEP (TO CRAM B GAP OR MAKE A CUT) - MAKE ONE CUT & LIVE WITH IT!
CP:  ON THE INSIDE ZONE – THE BEST CUT IS “NO CUT”!!!

II.   OUTSIDE ZONE:

A)   QB:  OPEN TO 4 O’CLOCK (RIGHT) OR 8 O’CLOCK (LEFT)  FOR EXTRA WIDTH.  USE 2ND STEP FOR ADDITIONAL WIDTH.  EXTEND BALL – MESH POINT ON 3rd STEP.  THE 4TH STEP BEGINS NAKED MECHANICS.  GOOD FAKE OF NAKED AWAY – DRIVE FOR 5 STEPS.  NO PEEK BACK – FINISH.

B)   RB (DEPTH:  TOES @ 7 ½ YARDS).  FOOTWORK:  HITCH
KICK TO BUTT OF TE.  READ DE (OR FIRST DLM FROM OUTSIDE-IN PLAYSIDE) – IF DE GIVES YOU A READ TO CUT UP – READ THE NEXT DLM INSIDE (DT).   IF DE GIVES YOU A READ TO GO OUT – TAKE IT.
COACHING POINT:  MAKE YOUR DECISION NO LATER THAN YOUR 3RD STEP (TO CUT UP OR GO OUTSIDE)  - MAKE ONE CUT & LIVE WITH IT!

CP:  Cuts on the third step are made on the right foot going right, & the left foot going left.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:46:03 AM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
Re: ALEX GIBBS ZONE BLOCKING
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:07:11 PM »
Stopped by for a brief visit.

THANK YOU!
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Title: Other
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:09:54 PM »
Bill, Tell coach kelly tebowthud misses him and his frankness. :)
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:18:36 PM »
OK!  Isn't Rich still on this site?

More thoughts (in response to a lot of discussions I read on here):

A)  As far as "Declaring "MIKE" LBer (Alex Gibbs method):
1.  In a 3 LB scheme - the Mike LB is always the "middle" of the 3 LBers.
2.  In a 4 LB scheme - the Mike LB is always the second LB in from the strong side of the formation.

B)  See the following.  It is IMPORTANT because anyone "manning" on an OUTSIDE zone play (according to Alex), the playside blockers have to use the "CATCH-HAND" if he doesn't have help coming from a teammate to his inside.  This MEANS to use your back hand to as a hook to punch or catch the defender (catch the defender just enough to funnel him down the LOS and prevent quick inside penetration).   If I am on the RIGHT side = that "punch" LOOKS like a BOXER'S "left-hook" in the ribs!!!  If anyone wants to contact me - I can go into more detail on THIS point!  I don't remember how to ATTACH a document on here.  billmountjoy@yahoo.com

BIG MISCONCEPTION ABOUT ZONE BLOCKING:

One of the BIGGEST misconception about ZONE plays is that the entire O-Line zone blocks. You only ZONE from the "BUBBLE" to the next man out towards the callside. APPLY the "Uncovered/'covered" rule: If you are uncovered - zone with teammate towards call. If you are covered - zone with teammate away from the call. If you are BOTH covered - MAN block!

EXAMPLES:

1. NO BUBBLE - NOBODY ZONE BLOCKS. All 7 "MAN" with a "DRIVE" block (on IZ), or a "REACH" block (on OZ):

---------------------------------V-V-V-V-V-V-V
---------------------------------E-T-G-C-G-T-E

2. ONE BUBBLE - YOU HAVE ONE ZONE COMBINATION (EXAMPLE: ZONE PLAY RT.) - Only the uncovered man (Center) & his play side teammate (RG) ZONE. The other 5 all "MAN" block.

----------------------------------------B
---------------------------------V-V-V---V-V-V

3. TWO BUBBLES - YOU HAVE TWO ZONE COMBINATIONS (EXAMPLE: ZONE PLAY RT.) - the uncovered LG ZONES with the Center, & the uncovered RG zones with the RT. The other 3 all "MAN" block.

---------------------------------------B----B
---------------------------------V-V----V----V-V

4. THREE BUBBLES - YOU HAVE THREE ZONE COMBINATIONS (EXAMPLE: ZONE PLAY RT.) - the uncovered LT zones with the LG, the Center zones with the RG, & the RT zones with the RE. The 1  remaining OLM "MAN" blocks.

------------------------------------B----B----B
---------------------------------V----V----V---V

REMEMBER: Zone blocking BEGINS at the "bubble" & zones TOWARDS the play side (RIGHT in all examples above). "NUMBER OF BUBBLES" = NUMBER OF DOUBLES!!!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:37:19 PM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

G-TigerHC

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:22:06 PM »
Welcome back Coach.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:31:55 PM »
Thank you!  This is perhaps a brief visit.  Just wanted to clarify Alex's methods, since many seem to be groping for them.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:33:30 PM »
Thank you!  This is perhaps a brief visit.  Just wanted to clarify Alex's methods, since many seem to be groping for them.
They want simple simple and easy....Alex is for the guys with all the talent.. ;D
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 11:41:32 PM »
We never had any problems teaching it in HS in over 30 years (with AND without great talent).  Our Youth feeder teams could teach it too, IF you only taught IZ & OZ blocking.

PS: I cannot help, and WILL NOT DEBATE, what someone else can or cannot teach!  This is best for US!

PPS:  Some of the GREAT HS teams that adopted OUR (Alex Gibbs) zone blocking.  Each of these teams rushed for OVER 3,000 in 12-13 game seasons!!!

1.  Holy Spirit HS (Absecon, NJ).  3 State Championships from 2007 thru 2011.  NOTE:  They now have a different staff there as of 2012 (& run option football).

2. Powhatan HS - Powhatan, Va.  Next to Phoebus HS - Powhatan won MORE games from 2000 to 2010 than ANY high school team in the state in Va.  Had a 65 game district winning streak broken this year.  INCREDIBLE feat!!!

3.  North Stafford HS (Va.).  Lost to state champs in OVERTIME in playoffs.  SEE THIS LINK:
From Coach Joe Mangano:  Here is our OZ Run Game presentation. A lot of influence from Bill Mountjoy, Alex Gibbs and Joe Gibbs.
Have our count system we used this fall with diagrams. Have clips of it against ODD/Even/Under/Bear... Wide and endzone shots.  OZ was our best play of the year. Ran over 90 times...

http://www.hudl.com/presview/114724

Read more: http://prostylefootball.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=film&action=display&thread=1489#ixzz2Kenx5juw

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:53:12 AM by billmountjoy »

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:46:57 PM »
We never had any problems teaching it in HS in over 30 years.  Our Youth feeder teams could teach it too, IF you only taught IZ & OZ blocking.

So how do you put it in (both techniques and scheme)?

What's the progression?
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 11:47:43 PM »
We never had any problems teaching it in HS in over 30 years.  Our Youth feeder teams could teach it too, IF you only taught IZ & OZ blocking.

PS: I cannot hep, and WILL NOT DEBATE, what someone else can or cannot teach!
you are the man bill!

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 11:52:07 PM »
Look at Hudl video in my LAST post.

TEACHING PROGRESSION (simple & logical):

DRILLING ZONE BLOCKING:

1. INDIVIDUAL: (bags OR live)  “1 vs. 1”

A) INSIDE ZONE

----1. Drive Block DLM

----2. Drive Block LBer

B) OUTSIDE ZONE

----1. Reach Block DLM

----2. Reach Block LBer

2. SMAll GROUP: (INSIDE & OUTSIDE ZONE TECHNIQUES - vs. bags OR live)

A) "2 vs. 2" (uncovered man & covered man work vs. a ILer & DLM).

-----1. DLM widens & LBer steps inside of DLM

-----2. DML pinches inside & LBer scrapes outside

-----3. DLM anchors on covered man & LBer moves behind DLM (reading the RB)

3. LARGE GROUP: (LIVE)

A) "7 ON 5" (Live - NO bags)

------------M
-----E--T-----T--E
-----O-O-C-O-O
-----------Q

-----------R

4-3 = Gives the Center a chance to zone with Guards (on zone TO callside)

----------B-----B
------E-----N-----E
------O-O-C-O-O
------------Q

------------R

3-4 Gives the Guards a chance to zone with Tackles (on zone TO callside) or Center (on zone AWAY callside)

B) "9 on 7" (Live - no bags)

-----------W----M-----S
--------E-----T-----T-----E
--------O-O-O-C-O-O-O
-----------------Q

-----------------R

4-3 = Gives the Tackles a chance to zone with the TE's (on zone TO callside), or the Guards (on zone AWAY callside)

NOTE: The "7 on 5" & "9 on 7" should be your best ("O") vs. best ("D"). Full speed with no tackling the RB. Benefits of these:

1. COMPETITIVE DRILLS VS. DEFENSE;
2. BLOCKING TECHNIQUES VS. BLOCK REACTIONS;
3. TEACHES TOUGHNESS!!!!!

4.  TEAM (11 vs. 11)

NOTE:  I am NOT trying to "sell" ANYONE on these ideas.  If I were - I'd put a price tag on it! 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:09:38 AM by billmountjoy »

Offline COACH JC

• Platinum
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 12:20:04 AM »
Bill,

I've read through many of your threads.  I came after you left.  However, i enjoy the info you have, and hope this is more than a breif stay.

Thanks, Jake
It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 08:14:35 AM »
Thanks for stopping in Bill.  Please continue to do so.   

;)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 09:35:03 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Here is an OUTLINE Alex Gibbs uses at Clinics:

OUTSIDE ZONE

KEYS TO SUCCESS

1.  Stretch on the DE - The Back's key.

2.  No penetration up front - OL/TE feet must go forward (never back).

3.  "Cut" the Defense backside.  Eliminate backside pursuit (get them on the ground).

4.  QB - Make the backside respect our Keeps/Nakeds with your fake.

5.  1 Cut running by the back.  Press your course.
      a.  Aiming Point - Butt of the TE - Midline.
      b.  Primary read - DE
      c.  Secondary read - DT (based on the reaction of the DE).
      d.  Speed control by the RB. 

6.  WR - your blocks will turn an ordinary play into a BIG one.

SUGGESTION:  There has been OVER 5,000 posts on Dum Coach on ZONE BLOCKING.  Study Alex Gibbs film (by FAR the best way to learn it).  Put yourself in the RB's shoes & read HIS reads (end zone cuts).  That is the MOST IMPORTANT (& least understood) PART OF THE PLAY!!!

I have enjoyed visiting with you guys again.  If anyone needs to get more DEPTH on all this - feel free to phone me at:  804-740-4479 (between 11 AM & 6 PM/EASTERN).   Easier to explain via phone!!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:44:42 AM by billmountjoy »

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »
Aww here we go! Welcome back bill! Rich is busy i guess i gotta text him to get in touch...are you guys doing the clinic during the summer again? He brought mccree down last time
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random