Author Topic: ALEX GIBBS ZONE BLOCKING  (Read 27785 times)

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
Re: ALEX GIBBS ZONE BLOCKING
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 05:43:53 PM »
NO DIFFERENT!  Use the EXACT teaching progression on page 1 of this.

If you LIMIT what 10-12 does to the following plays, it will be EASY!!!
1.  Inside Zone
2.  Outside Zone
3.  Reverse to H off Inside Zone Fake (zone blocking)
4.  Toss Sweep with Outside Zone Blocking.
5.  2 Play Actions with Zone Blocking.
NOTE:  You MAY want to use the 3 Step drop back game throwing simple HITCH, FADE, ETC.   Pass Pro = number defenders same as in zone blocking!

If you want to get deeper into these contact me off the site where I can do diagrams!

Best Wishes!
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »
NO DIFFERENT!  Use the EXACT teaching progression on page 1 of this.

If you LIMIT what 10-12 does to the following plays, it will be EASY!!!
1.  Inside Zone
2.  Outside Zone
3.  Reverse to H off Inside Zone Fake (zone blocking)
4.  Toss Sweep with Outside Zone Blocking.
5.  2 Play Actions with Zone Blocking.
NOTE:  You MAY want to use the 3 Step drop back game throwing simple HITCH, FADE, ETC.   Pass Pro = number defenders same as in zone blocking!

If you want to get deeper into these contact me off the site where I can do diagrams!

Best Wishes!

I am reminded of a quote from "The Patriot"   "Aim small, Miss small" 

I agree 100% with what Coach is saying.  Start off basic and add to it as they progress.   ;)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 10:33:18 PM »
I have always admired the offensive philosophy of Tom Moore (who was on numerous Super Bowl winning teams as an "OC" with the Steelers & Colts).  Alex Gibbs preaches the SAME PHILOSOPHY:

TOM MOORE OFFENSIVE THINKING

1.   “LESS IS BETTER”!

2.   “IF THINGS ARE GOING BAD – REDUCE.  GET BETTER AT WHAT YOU DO BEST”!

3.   “DON’T ADD OR CHANGE THINGS (IF IT WAS THAT GOOD – WE WOULD HAVE PUT IT IN DURING AUGUST”)!

FROM AN ARTICLE:   Offensive coordinator Tom Moore is a brilliant minimalist who keeps it simple. He stretches the canvas and lets his quarterback paint masterpieces. Sometimes it seems like the Colts only have four formations and seven plays, but defenses never know what's coming next. 

*******************************************************************************************

Think about it: What does a Tom Moore offense look like? In Pittsburgh, he ran. In Indy, he passes. There's no Shock-and-Awe Mickey Mouse element to his offenses. He doesn't act like he invented the game and he's not angling for a head coaching job somewhere else.

"Coaching is adjusting to circumstances,'' he said. "I don't know any coach who has any particular knowledge that would make any part of football his. There's nothing that hasn't already been done. All we do is try to learn from those who've passed through. All coaches are directly tied to their players. It's really no more complicated than that.

''Whatever works”.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:36:04 PM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 10:04:58 AM »
I have a one page sheet of diagrams that shows ALL the blocking on the INSIDE ZONE vs. just about every defense we saw (the zone COMBINATIONS are circled). 
NOTE:  The blocking on the OUTSIDE ZONE = the SAME, except the TECHNIQUE is slightly wider.

Anybody wanting this one sheet should email me at:  billmountjoy@yahoo.com  (do so within the next week, because when I move I will not have my computer & computer files handy)!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:12:40 PM by billmountjoy »

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »
Its good stuff!!  Easy Quick Reference.  Should make things extremely clear for anyone. 

Thanks Coach!!

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 10:45:09 PM »
CALLING RUNS:

RED = B Gap defended by a DLM

WHITE = B Gap defended by a LB

----------------D--C-B-A--A-B-C---D
X-------------------O-O-C-O-O-Y
-----------------H-------Q--------------------------Z

-------------------------R

ZONE PLAYS:

I.  INSIDE ZONE:  We prefer INSIDE ZONE to the “WHITE” side because the RB has a chance to CRAM the B Gap (because of the “bubble” over the ON G) without having to always make a CUT (“the BEST cut is NO cut”), & because we frequently get 3 double teams on the IZ to the “White” side:

GETTING 3 “VERTICAL” DOUBLE TEAMS ON INSIDE ZONE PLAY TO “WHITE” SIDE:

OBJECTIVE:  PUSH LEVEL 1 (DLM) BACK INTO THE LAPS OF LEVEL 2 (LBers)

----------------------------W/S

C----------------------------------------------S/S-----------C

--------------------W-------M------S

-----------------------E-----N---T----E

----------------------O-O-O-C-O-O-O

O-----------------------------Q-----------------------------O

-------------------------------R

INSIDE ZONE LEFT:

LE & LT = (ZONE) DOUBLE DE (#2) TO WLB (#3)

LG & CTR = (ZONE) DOUBLE NOSE (#0) TO MLB (#1)

RG & RT = (ZONE) DOUBLE DT (#1) TO SLB (#2)

RE = (MAN) CUTOFF DE (#3)

RB = 1st. STEP LATERAL WITH PLAYSIDE FOOT, ROLL, CROSSOVER, AND AIM NOSE FOR OUTSIDE LEG OF LG.   CRAM B GAP

QB = OPEN TO 7 O’CLOCK.  AFTER HANDOFF – FAKED NAKED FOR 5 STEPS AWAY FROM P.O.A.

WR’S  “PUSH/CRACK” FROM CORNERS TO SAFETIES

II.  OUTSIDE ZONE:  We prefer OUTSIDE ZONE to the “RED” side of the defense because the RB’s SECOND read (his first read – the DE – normally gives his a read to go inside) is generally a 3 technique (on “Red”) as opposed to a “1” or a “Shade” (on “White”), and he can make his decision to cut UP quicker off the 3 tech. (& more straight upfield).  On  "Red" he has a greater chance to cram the C Gap (because of the "bubble" over the ON T that is present in many “RED fronts) - which is what we WANT!

The BIGGEST MISTAKE I see offensive coaches make it that they (in a given game) try to run ALL their plays, from ALL their formations, & run them ALL both right & left (& run them ALL to both "RED" & "WHITE"). That is a recipe for "getting your ass beat".

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:50:16 PM by billmountjoy »

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 10:18:44 PM »
ATTACHED are the 5 "CATEGORIES" that ALL fronts can be placed in.  This really simplifies our teaching!

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Title: Other
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »
ATTACHED are the 5 "CATEGORIES" that ALL fronts can be placed in.  This really simplifies our teaching!
Bill you need to explain why this is important. Thanks.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 11:14:56 PM »
There are about 30-40 D-fronts lurking around in football today (see ATTACHMENT for just a FEW).  CATEGORIZING them into those FIVE CATEGORIES, makes it EASY to teach blocking.

For just ONE example:  a 3-3 Stack (3-5 Stack), 5-2 Okie, 3-4, ETC. ALL fall into the "OKIE" category, & are ALL blocked the same.

I picked this up several years ago, & if you have ever been to the "COOL" clinic extravaganza of O-Ine Coaches, MOST Pro, College, & even HS coaches are now doing it BECAUSE it is so darned SIMPLE!

Play a little "pencil & legal pad game" by categorizing ALL the ATTACHED D-fronts into those 5 categories.  If there is any confusion, please feel free to PHONE me at:  804-740-44789 (between 11 AM & 6 PM/EASTERN).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:17:12 PM by billmountjoy »

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 11:17:44 PM »
There are about 30-40 D-fronts lurking around in football today (see ATTACHMENT for just a FEW).  CATEGORIZING them into those FIVE CATEGORIES, makes it EASY to teach blocking.

For just ONE example:  a 3-3 Stack (3-5 Stack), 5-2 Okie, 3-4, ETC. ALL fall into the "OKIE" category, & are ALL blocked the same.

I picked this up several years ago, & if you have ever been to the "COOL" clinic extravaganza of O-Ine Coaches, MOST Pro, College, & even HS coaches are now doing it BECAUSE it is so darned SIMPLE!

Play a little "pencil & legal pad game" by categorizing ALL the ATTACHED D-fronts into those 5 categories.  If there is any confusion, p[lease feel free to PHONE me at:  804-740-44789 (between 11 AM & 6 PM/EASTERN).

Sean Kugler of the Steelers talked a lot about it at the 2011 C.O.O.L. Clinic.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 11:21:50 PM »
Sean Kugler of the Steelers talked a lot about it at the 2011 C.O.O.L. Clinic.
Kugler was outstanding.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 11:24:13 PM »
Most of the BEST coaches I know are now doing it.  I just got off the phone with a coach who wanted to know how we taught the "POWER" & "COUNTER" blocking.  This is an example I gave him of using the "categories":

1.  VS. ALL  "OKIES" & "UNDERS" = "TREY" (ON T & TE DOUBLE TEAM)

2.  VS ALL"EVEN" & "OVERS" = "DUECE" (ON G & ON T DOUBLE TEAM).

3.  VS ALL "JAM" (BEAR/DOUBLE EAGLE) LOOKS = "GAP" BLOCK.

SIMPLER than trying to teach the play vs. 20 defenses, ETC.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 11:24:48 PM »

Play a little "pencil & legal pad game" by categorizing ALL the ATTACHED D-fronts into those 5 categories.  If there is any confusion, please feel free to PHONE me at:  804-740-44789 (between 11 AM & 6 PM/EASTERN).
Is it possible that while the techniques are different, how you block them in run and pass are the same?

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2013, 11:26:18 PM »
Yes - WITHIN a particular scheme.  Take a look at all this on paper.  It's VERY SIMPLE!

ALL "OKIES" = CENTER COVERED & BOTH GUARDS UNCOVERED (by DLM)

ALL "UNDERS" = UNCOVERED GUARD TO SIDE OF STRENGTH

ALL "EVENS" = UNCOVERED CENTER

ALL "OVERS" = UNCOVERED GUARD AWAY FROM STRENGTH

ALL "JAM" LOOKS = CENTER & BOTH GUARDS COVERED.

THAT'S ALL THERE ARE!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:30:48 PM by billmountjoy »

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2013, 11:31:54 PM »
lets take this a step further, shall we?

I have 3 blockers, guard, tackle and center  that are covered by a down linemen and linebacker is  stacked somewhere in their or a stacked over or under front, take your pick. I am running zone, I must leverage those 4 defenders with a 4 blockers to account for those 4 defenders and the 4 gap they are most likely accountable for, correct?