Author Topic: ALEX GIBBS ZONE BLOCKING  (Read 27787 times)

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
Re: ALEX GIBBS ZONE BLOCKING
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2013, 11:38:41 PM »
Depends on what play & what blocking scheme.  The 5 categories deal would hold up WITHIN each seperate scheme.  That way, your coaches & kids wouldn't go nuts because a defender or two moved an inch or two (JUST CATEGORIZE INTO 5 LOOKS).  We don't use blocking calls per se, but it is EASY for the Center to call out OKIE, UNDER, EVEN. OVER, OR JAM (if you wish).

PS: WE have ONLY the ZONE scheme, & the GAP scheme (Counter/Power) & Pass Pro,  & this works out BEAUTIFULLY for OUR kids!

MUCH easier to discuss this via phone, because I don't know your offense. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:41:23 PM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Title: Other
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2013, 11:42:28 PM »
Depends on what play & what blocking scheme.  The 5 categories deal would hold up WITHIN each seperate scheme.  That way, your coaches & kids wouldn't go nuts because a defender or two moved an inch or two (JUST CATEGORIZE INTO 5 LOOKS).  We don't use blocking calls per se, but it is EASY for the Center to call out OKIE, UNDER, EVEN. OVER, OR JAM (if you wish).

PS: WE have ONLY the ZONE scheme, & the GAP scheme (Counter/Power) & Pass Pro,  & this works out BEAUTIFULLY for OUR kids!

MUCH easier to discuss this via phone, because I don't know your offense.
With in each of those categories though are special adjustments, correct?
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 11:56:53 PM »
Not in MY offense.

Here is an ATTACHED sheet from the Green Bay Packers (one of my former players is on their staff).

THIS shows how they write up OUTSIDE ZONE rules using those FIVE CATEGORIES.  It tells the player what block to use according to the category.  You could run a THOUSAND defenses aqainst them & this simple sheet is ALL they have to know.

Don't think I can give a better example.

PS:  You won't recognize what they  CALL their blocks, but they are ALL zone combinations used by every zone coach.  Once again - EASIER TO EXPLAIN VIA PHONE (but our kids picked this up REAL QUICVK)
you have those adjustment that I am referring to.  Not complicated if you understand those front families.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 12:02:33 AM »
Correct.,  It is easier to work vs. 5 fronts than 30. 

Note:  Since they blocked OKIE & UNDER essentially the same;  EVEN & OVER essentially the same; & JAM usually stands by itself, they are using only THREE block variations (present in ALL zone offenses I know of, but this makes it MUCH SIMPLER than trying to learn all this vs ALL the possible fronts out there)!!!

PS:  85% of the time we see OVER/UNDER/EVEN.  15% = OKIE OR JAM.

PPS:  It's midnight & I am going to bed.  PHONE if need be tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:05:42 AM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline dan82564

• Bronze
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »
Most of the BEST coaches I know are now doing it.  I just got off the phone with a coach who wanted to know how we taught the "POWER" & "COUNTER" blocking.  This is an example I gave him of using the "categories":

1.  VS. ALL  "OKIES" & "UNDERS" = "TREY" (ON T & TE DOUBLE TEAM)

Who Blocks the S on Okies & Unders?

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »
Most of the BEST coaches I know are now doing it.  I just got off the phone with a coach who wanted to know how we taught the "POWER" & "COUNTER" blocking.  This is an example I gave him of using the "categories":

1.  VS. ALL  "OKIES" & "UNDERS" = "TREY" (ON T & TE DOUBLE TEAM)

Who Blocks the S on Okies & Unders?
sam would be the kickout.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2013, 03:17:05 PM »
Bill

I was really hoping Coach Moore would take over as OC in Denver when Coach McCoy took over as HC in San Diego.

Dang It !

Collect moments, not wins.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2013, 04:53:39 PM »
Would have been good for Denver!!!

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2013, 09:57:24 AM »
ATTACHED is a Power Point presentation I used at a Mega Clinic on the Outside Zone:

Offline Oxfordcoach

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: DC Pro 4-3
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2013, 01:34:16 PM »
don't know if this has been posted yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eapTYIeEzpQ

Offline Jburk

• Silver
  • Speed + Technique = POWER
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
Found these diagrams illustrating responsibilities for both GAP and ZONE schemes.
The sword is more important than the shield.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2013, 09:43:06 PM »
Denver Broncos bringing Alex Gibbs back as offensive line consultant

DENVER BRONCOS, NFL

Alex Gibbs will return as a consultant for the Broncos. (Brian Bahr/Getty Staff)

The Denver Broncos will bring Alex Gibbs back as an offensive line consultant, The Denver Post reports. Gibbs, 72, once served as the team’s offensive line coach from 1995 to 2003. The Broncos won two Super Bowls with Gibbs as the offensive line coach. Gibbs’ offensive blocking schemes assisted running back Terrell Davis and quarterback John Elway excel in the Broncos offense.

Broncos head coach John Fox said Gibbs would be “a good resource” and believes Gibbs can help the current Broncos offense. Last season, the Broncos brought in quarterback Peyton Manning’s former offensive coordinator with the Indianapolis Colts as part of a mandatory minicamp.

The Broncos were 16th in the league in rushing yards and 5th in total passing yards.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2013, 09:50:08 PM »

DENVER BRONCOS, NFL

Alex Gibbs will return as a consultant for the Broncos. (Brian Bahr/Getty Staff)

The Denver Broncos will bring Alex Gibbs back as an offensive line consultant, The Denver Post reports. Gibbs, 72, once served as the team’s offensive line coach from 1995 to 2003. The Broncos won two Super Bowls with Gibbs as the offensive line coach. Gibbs’ offensive blocking schemes assisted running back Terrell Davis and quarterback John Elway excel in the Broncos offense.

Broncos head coach John Fox said Gibbs would be “a good resource” and believes Gibbs can help the current Broncos offense. Last season, the Broncos brought in quarterback Peyton Manning’s former offensive coordinator with the Indianapolis Colts as part of a mandatory minicamp.

The Broncos were 16th in the league in rushing yards and 5th in total passing yards.
anybody doubt that is going to be their running game :) they move way up my list of teams I want to watch next year.....because the boots/naked wont be of emphasis....should be interesting.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Texan

• Silver
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2013, 12:13:11 AM »

DENVER BRONCOS, NFL

Oh yeah. Us doncos fans are happy.