Author Topic: ALEX GIBBS ZONE BLOCKING  (Read 28198 times)

Offline coachnick

• Silver
  • offense dw defense gambler
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Multiple
Re: ALEX GIBBS ZONE BLOCKING
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »
Stopped by for a brief visit.  There has been a lot of discussion on "ALEX GIBBS" Zone Blocking.  There are MANY ways to teach zone blocking, but his way is the only way WE ran it.  I'm not saying it is the best way, nor the only way, but I have never seen anyone teach it better than Alex!

I am prepared to discuss HIS methods, and answer any questions anyone might have.  To START with - here are HIS basics for anyone that might be interested:

NOTE:  O-LINE SPLITS = 18” (CONSISTENT).  OLM OFF THE BALL (HANDS ON CENTER'S SHOELACES):

INSIDE ZONE TECHNIQUE (DRIVE BLOCK TECHNIQUES):

A.   COVERED:  Take a 6” lead step aiming eyes at playside number.  Second step to crotch (do not crossover).  Hands at base of shoulder pads.

1.   If DLM stretches with you – stay on block and uncovered teammate works up on LBer.

2.   If DLM anchors on you – double team with uncovered teammate.  Stay on block until wiped off & then work upfield  aiming eyes to playside number of LBer.

3.   If DLM slants inside – force him to flatten his slant and double team with uncovered teammate.  Stay on block until wiped off & then work upfield aiming eyes to playside number of LBer.

B.   UNCOVERED:  Take a 6” lead step aiming eyes at helmet of DLM.  Do not cross over on second step.

1.   If helmet goes out on your 1st step  – 2nd step upfield aiming eyes to playside number of LBer.

2.   If helmet stays put – double team (hip to hip) with covered teammate & wipe him off on Lber.

3.   If helmet slants inside - get eyes to his playside number.  Double team with covered teammate & wipe him off on LBer.

OUTSIDE ZONE TECHNIQUE (REACH BLOCK TECHNIQUES):

A.    COVERED:  Take a 6” lead step aiming eyes at playside arm pit.  Second step slightly outside crotch (do not crossover).  Inside hand on midline & outside hand under armpit.

1.   If DLM stretches with you – stay on block and uncovered teammate works up on LBer.

2.   If DLM anchors on you – stay on block with eyes on playside arm pit. 

3.   If DLM slants inside – force him to flatten his slant by stiff arming him inside.  Stay on block until you feel uncovered teammate & then come off aiming eyes to playside number of LBer.

B.   UNCOVERED:  Take a 6” lead step aiming eyes at helmet of DLM.  You may crossover on second step.

1.   If helmet goes out & you haven’t contacted DLM by 3rd. step – work upfield  aiming eyes to playside armpit of LBer.

2.   If helmet stays put – shove him over to covered teammate and work upfield aiming eyes to playside armpit of LBer.

3.   If helmet slants inside – aim eyes to his playside armpit.  Take him over & wipe covered teammate off to LBer.

ZONE RULES:

TEACH “COVERED/UNCOVERED” (TO DETERMINES WHO ZONE BLOCKS
           AND WHO MAN BLOCKS).

A.   IF YOU ARE UNCOVERED (BY A DLM) – ZONE WITH YOUR PLAYSIDE TEAMMATE.

B.   IF YOU ARE COVERED (BY A DLM) – ZONE WITH YOUR BACKSIDE TEAMMATE (UNLESS HE IS COVERED THEN YOU MUST MAN BLOCK).

NOTE:  IF YOUR MAN IS STACKED IN A “TANDEM” – ZONE WITH TEAMMATE WHOSE MAN IS ALSO STACKED.

*******************************************************************************************

QB/RB TECHNIQUES ON INSIDE & OUTSIDE ZONE:

I.   INSIDE ZONE:

A)   QB:  OPEN TO TITE 5 O’CLOCK (RIGHT) OR 7 O’CLOCK (LEFT).  USE 2ND STEP FOR DEPTH.  EXTEND BALL – MESH POINT ON 3RD STEP.  THE 4TH STEP BEGINS NAKED MECHANICS.  GOOD FAKE OF NAKED AWAY – DRIVE FOR 5 STEPS.  NO PEEK BACK – FINISH!

B)   RB (TOES @ 7 1/2 YARDS):  FOOTWORK:  OPEN STEP, CROSS OVER, LAND MARK OUTSIDE LEG OF GUARD.   PRESS THE HOLE.  SHOULDERS PARALLEL TO L.O.S.  READ:  1ST DLM FROM INSIDE-OUT  PLAYSIDE (EXCLUDING A SHADED NOSE).  VS. BUBBLE OVER G – READ MAN ON T -  IF HE GIVES A READ TO CUT INSIDE – READ THE NOSE.
COACHING POINT:  MAKE YOUR DECISION NO LATER THAN YOUR 3rd STEP (TO CRAM B GAP OR MAKE A CUT) - MAKE ONE CUT & LIVE WITH IT!
CP:  ON THE INSIDE ZONE – THE BEST CUT IS “NO CUT”!!!

II.   OUTSIDE ZONE:

A)   QB:  OPEN TO 4 O’CLOCK (RIGHT) OR 8 O’CLOCK (LEFT)  FOR EXTRA WIDTH.  USE 2ND STEP FOR ADDITIONAL WIDTH.  EXTEND BALL – MESH POINT ON 3rd STEP.  THE 4TH STEP BEGINS NAKED MECHANICS.  GOOD FAKE OF NAKED AWAY – DRIVE FOR 5 STEPS.  NO PEEK BACK – FINISH.

B)   RB (DEPTH:  TOES @ 7 ½ YARDS).  FOOTWORK:  HITCH
KICK TO BUTT OF TE.  READ DE (OR FIRST DLM FROM OUTSIDE-IN PLAYSIDE) – IF DE GIVES YOU A READ TO CUT UP – READ THE NEXT DLM INSIDE (DT).   IF DE GIVES YOU A READ TO GO OUT – TAKE IT.
COACHING POINT:  MAKE YOUR DECISION NO LATER THAN YOUR 3RD STEP (TO CUT UP OR GO OUTSIDE)  - MAKE ONE CUT & LIVE WITH IT!

CP:  Cuts on the third step are made on the right foot going right, & the left foot going left.

Bill on the inside zone play verses a standard 50 defense is the rb reading the head up nose guard ? 

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »
I may be wrong but his aiming point is the outside leg of the guard / Inside leg of the tackle and his read is the play side inside backer, Mike or other wise.  There shouldn't be a lot of thought here!!

Zone Blocking is more about teaching the backs than the line.   ;)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2013, 09:54:38 PM »
I may be wrong but his aiming point is the outside leg of the guard / Inside leg of the tackle and his read is the play side inside backer, Mike or other wise.  There shouldn't be a lot of thought here!!

Zone Blocking is more about teaching the backs than the line.   ;)

Alex Gibbs NEVER let his RB read a LBer:   The following IS from Alex Gibbs:

INSIDE ZONE:
RB:  READ THE HAT OF THE FIRST DLM OUTSIDE THE CENTER (NOT COUNTING A SHADE).  IF HE GOES OUT OR DOESN’T MOVE – ROLLBACK READING THE HAT OF THE NEXT DLM INSIDE.  IF HE GOES DOWN – READ THE HAT OF THE NEXT MAN ON LOS OUTSIDE OF HIM FOR YOUR CUT.  BASICALLY – IF THE DLM YOU ARE READING DOESN’T PINCH INSIDE, ROLL BACK.  DETERMINE WHERE CUT WILL BE WHEN YOU REACH HEELS OF ORIGINAL ALIGN OF O-LINE.

ATTACHED is an actual playbook page on the IZ sent me by Alex.  RB READ = CIRCLED IN RED:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:21:25 AM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Defense: 6-3
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »

Alex Gibbs NEVER let his RB read a LBer:   The following IS from Alex Gibbs:

INSIDE ZONE:
RB:  READ THE HAT OF THE FIRST DLM OUTSIDE THE CENTER (NOT COUNTING A SHADE).  IF HE GOES OUT OR DOESN’T MOVE – ROLLBACK READING THE HAT OF THE NEXT DLM INSIDE.  IF HE GOES DOWN – READ THE HAT OF THE NEXT MAN ON LOS OUTSIDE OF HIM FOR YOUR CUT.  BASICALLY – IF THE DLM YOU ARE READING DOESN’T PINCH INSIDE, ROLL BACK.  DETERMINE WHERE CUT WILL BE WHEN YOU REACH HEELS OF ORIGINAL ALIGN OF ON G.

As I said Bill... I may be wrong.... ;)   I still had the Landmark right, 1 point for me.  Even a rules based coach larns a few things, over time..... 8)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
As I said Bill... I may be wrong.... ;)   I still had the Landmark right, 1 point for me.  Even a rules based coach larns a few things, over time..... 8)

ATTACHED is an actual playbook page on the IZ sent me by Alex.  RB READ = CIRCLED IN RED:

PS:  You do NOT read LBers.  That would be like running thru several Cobras (DLM) to get to a pretty girl (LB).  If your eyes are on the pretty girl, you'll get bitten by the damned Cobras!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:47:41 AM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 10:23:59 PM »
NOBODY, absolutely NOBODY ever had more SUSTAINED success in ZONE BLOCKING than Alex Gibbs!  His teams usually led the ENTIRE NFL in rushing (so did his RB's in yards per carry).  Practically EVERY zone coach I know (from Pee Wee to Pro) COPIED his methods!

Going BACK to 1981 = I personally studied the teaching of EVERY successful "Zone" coach.  With the exception of Joe Bugel (Redskins) it was WASTED TIME to look beyond A. Gibbs' teaching!

Bugel & A Gibbs taught it the SAME!  They learned from EACH OTHER!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:23:31 AM by billmountjoy »

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2013, 08:13:48 AM »
ATTACHED is an ARTICLE by Alex Gibbs on the "OUTSIDE ZONE".  Much in it about RB "landmark" & "reads"!

This is the ONLY writeup Alex ever put out on his OZ (ATTACHED):

Online Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2013, 08:26:54 AM »
Bill, what do you mean by roll back?

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2013, 08:59:58 AM »
Bill, what do you mean by roll back?

CUT-BACK (but instead of it always being a "jump-cut" with your shoulders square - you do more of "bend" or "roll").  He would roll-back on IZ (if his read told him to), but on OZ it was more of a CUT-UP (plant your foot & head "North"). 

That is the best explanation I can give.  You need to watch a LOT of film on him to SEE this!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:39:26 AM by billmountjoy »

Online ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2013, 09:54:04 AM »
CUT-BACK (but instead of it always being a "jump-cut" with your shoulders square - you do more of "bend" or "roll").  He would roll-back on IZ (if his read told him to), but on OZ it was more of a CUT-UP (plant your foot & head "North"). 

That is the best explanation I can give.  You need to watch a LOT of film on him to SEE this!

I saw some coach cuts of Adrian Peterson he does this a lot
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2013, 10:24:32 AM »
I saw some coach cuts of Adrian Peterson he does this a lot

It depends on what he sees & where he is headed.   Can look different every snap.

IDEALLY the "BEST CUT IS NO CUT" (because the shortest distance between two points is always straight ahead)!  We LOVE to CRAM the B GAP on IZ, & either CRAM the C GAP (or take it WIDE) on OZ.  This is what we (& A Gibbs & Joe Bugel) worked for.  By calling IZ to WHITE, & OZ to RED = it helps you ACCOMPLISH this (running at the "BUBBLES").  I have talked about this MANY TIMES before on DumCoach!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:48:07 AM by billmountjoy »

Offline coachnick

• Silver
  • offense dw defense gambler
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »
we do the basic jump cut drills for our zone play....is there another drill for the "roll back" or will the jump cut drills cover it?

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2013, 11:09:22 AM »
we do the basic jump cut drills for our zone play....is there another drill for the "roll back" or will the jump cut drills cover it?

No - same drills - different cut.  We do VERY LITTLE INDIVIDUAL DRILLS, because football is a TEAM game, & the RB needs to see the "BIG PICTURE" (a lot of bodies flying all around), THUS - we primarily do the following drills where (depending on WHAT he sees & where he goes) he MIGHT "CRAM THE AIMING POINT", "jump cut", OR "roll-back":

LARGE GROUP: (LIVE)

A) "7 ON 5" (Live - NO bags)

-----------M
-----E--T---T--E
-----O-O-C-O-O
----------Q

----------R

4-3 = Gives the Center a chance to zone with Guards (on zone TO callside)

---------B----B
------E----N----E
------O-O-C-O-O
-----------Q

-----------R

3-4 Gives the Guards a chance to zone with Tackles (on zone TO callside) or Center (on zone AWAY callside)

B) "9 on 7" (Live - no bags)

-----------W---M----S
--------E-----T---T-----E
--------O-O-O-C-O-O-O
---------------Q

---------------R

4-3 = Gives the Tackles a chance to zone with the TE's (on zone TO callside), or the Guards (on zone AWAY callside)

NOTE: The "7 on 5" & "9 on 7" should be your best ("O") vs. best ("D"). Full speed with no tackling the RB. Benefits of these:

1.  BEST WAY FOR RB TO LEARN HIS READS (& entrance points at LOS);
2.  COMPETITIVE DRILLS VS. DEFENSE;
3.  BLOCKING TECHNIQUES VS. BLOCK REACTIONS;
4.  TEACHES TOUGHNESS!!!!!

C.  TEAM (11 vs. 11)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:14:20 AM by billmountjoy »

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2013, 03:00:26 PM »
Some EXAMPLES of RB moves on IZ vs. WHITE" (where we LIKE to run it).  Will not have time to draw this vs. EVERYTHING but these are good examples of things we see when we run it to the "white" side.  This is also a good example of what Alex Gibbs means when he says that "once the RB gets his READ - he must be aware of what the NEXT down lineman is doing to the side his read tells him to GO to".

Since we don't CALL it to "RED" - don't need any "what-if's" on that point (see ATTACHMENT):
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:17:38 PM by billmountjoy »

Online Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2013, 03:28:29 PM »
Do you at least wrap up the RB?