Author Topic: Game Video  (Read 31359 times)

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Other
Re: Game Video
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 11:02:26 AM »
YDW 2009 6th Grade STR Championship Game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxYbA0Ofsug&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Sorry about that...I didn't realize it was set for private.  It is now public. 

Jack
Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Offline COACH JC

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »
Okay, i only got to watch the first two dives so far and i have to leave right now.  Two observations:

1:  Another perfect example of how not cutting wedge can kill you.  You guys were able to get 4-5 yards whenever you wanted, sucked the D in, then burned em outside.

2:  That first drive for them sure puts a huge hole in Gap's claim that an air raid offense is a bad idea at the youth level...

Did you consider going to press man w/ how well they were able to execute the screens?  I'm exited to watch the rest.  This is the good stuff we can really learn from!
It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »
Okay, i only got to watch the first two dives so far and i have to leave right now.  Two observations:

1:  Another perfect example of how not cutting wedge can kill you.  You guys were able to get 4-5 yards whenever you wanted, sucked the D in, then burned em outside.

2:  That first drive for them sure puts a huge hole in Gap's claim that an air raid offense is a bad idea at the youth level...

Did you consider going to press man w/ how well they were able to execute the screens?  I'm exited to watch the rest.  This is the good stuff we can really learn from!

W

We are all Jack's Grasshoppers in one way or another.  ;)
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 06:02:13 PM »

No we stayed in zone coverage so we could sit over the top.  We knew they would take shots down the field...if you watch the rest latter in the game we adjusted by zone dropping our DT's and taking away the shallow crossing routes.  We also had our MIKE rob the perimeter screens a few times to their side (they called a lot of their perimeter stuff to their side).

That team had retired college OC...so that game was a fun challange.  We didn't feel we had an advantage playing press...we played them in the regular season and playing press created more issues than it solved and we went with support against the underneath stuff with the zone coverage.  I wanted our players to rally to the ball as their receivers were great athletes and could turn a little gain into a big gain.  We decided to play a bend don't break and bring pressure when we could.  Worked out for us.

My biggest problem in that game was our QB got hung up on throwing the deep ball and not making the read on the DUMP concept...our SLOT was wide open all four times we called it and if he would have just made his read he would have connected 2 or 3 times and that would have opened our vertical receiver up down the field.  As it was since he was foricng the deep throw they simply rolled coverage over the to him all the time... I thought if he made those reads we could have put at least another score on the board and sealed the deal.

Otherwise I was pleased with our offense.  We had some issues with our QB not getting in the hole fast enough on ISO and our BB woudl skip over a defender that crossed his face to take a guy he had a beed on in our power sweep... 

Defensively we didn't to a good job of wrapping up (lots of missed tackles that could have put them in 2nd/3rd long situations) and at half time we got on to our team about the second man in attacking the ball...created some turnovers for us latter on.

Jack
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:06:44 PM by coachgregory »

Offline Luc

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 10:31:28 PM »
I liked that one very much Coach.

I liked that you came out in Shift + 2 wides. I don't think you did that very often in the few games we have seen so far. That was kept just for the final ?
When you line up in Shift, sometimes it looks like your 3 backs are almost one behind the other, and some other time they are more SW-like. Does it depends on the plays ? (or maybe that was just the camera angle playing tricks with me?)

Thanks.
To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »
I liked that one very much Coach.

I liked that you came out in Shift + 2 wides. I don't think you did that very often in the few games we have seen so far. That was kept just for the final ?
When you line up in Shift, sometimes it looks like your 3 backs are almost one behind the other, and some other time they are more SW-like. Does it depends on the plays ? (or maybe that was just the camera angle playing tricks with me?)

Thanks.

As I load more games you will see we use it a lot.  It just depends on what we are seeing from the defense.  Rita played a really good 44 so we wanted to take away their OLB and CB on the strong side as they were not going to move their FS from the midfield.  The FS was also their starting QB so we game planned to get a hat on him every play...and we taught our ball carriers if the FS came down hill at them to turn and attack him.  Our pulling tackle was also taught to ear hole the FS as he went vertical...we repped it a lot.  It had wearing effect on him as the game progressed he started rushing his throws and running away from contact.  He was not used to being attacked every play...whether on offense or defense we simply came at him and he collapsed under the pressure.

It was the angle..they always line up the same way.  The only change is if the BB is getting the ball we slide the entire backfield one position over.

Jack
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:10:22 PM by coachgregory »

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 11:07:47 PM »

That is why I tend to completely ignore guys that make those comments.   

Offline COACH JC

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Other
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 12:02:40 AM »
That is why I tend to completely ignore guys that make those comments.

Watched the rest of the game.  They seemed to panic a bit too.  Started throwing a lot of deep balls instead of what was working (screens).  They layed a couple nasty pick routs on you, i bet that was frustrating.

Great game.  I like your offense.  I imagine you use the wing more when you have a better player there?  Number 3 was really good.  Game changer.  Him & 4 flew around on D too.

I saw what you were talking about w/ your pass game.  Number 5 was wide open underneath every time.  But 4 was probably your second best player right?  So the QB was probably just throwing to the guy he felt the most confidence in.  I see that a lot.  Heck, you see it at all levels (picturing Kaepernick throwing to Crabtree 4 straight times at the goaline in the SB).

Good stuff Jack.  I look forward to anything else you can share.  I have a new camera so i can share our stuff this year....  Which by the way couldn't start soon enough!  Man, I am ready to go! 

Oh and as far as the coverage, thats a good case.  Ben but not break w/ your offense is a much better idea than forcing the issue. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:55:07 AM by WINGED »
It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

Offline Luc

• Silver
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 09:02:37 AM »
As I load more games you will see we use it a lot.  It just depends on what we are seeing from the defense.  Rita played a really good 44 so we wanted to take away their OLB and CB on the strong side as they were not going to move their FS from the midfield.
Coach, do you always go LOOSE on the same side as you line up SHIFT ? (basically, do you sometimes go SHIFT RIGHT- LOOSE LEFT?)

And in both case, why, or why not ?

I'm asking because I know that you have a BLUE-WILD formation, and I was just wondering if you used it and if you would have video of it. I'm thinking of using that as a starting formation, basically adding my 12th man to make a full beast on the play side (would look like BLUE-WILD weak side, and RED BEAST play side). I would LOVE to see any video of BLUE-WILD in action if you have any.

Thanks!
To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »
Coach, do you always go LOOSE on the same side as you line up SHIFT ? (basically, do you sometimes go SHIFT RIGHT- LOOSE LEFT?)

And in both case, why, or why not ?

I'm asking because I know that you have a BLUE-WILD formation, and I was just wondering if you used it and if you would have video of it. I'm thinking of using that as a starting formation, basically adding my 12th man to make a full beast on the play side (would look like BLUE-WILD weak side, and RED BEAST play side). I would LOVE to see any video of BLUE-WILD in action if you have any.

Thanks!

LOOSE/NASTY/BUNCH/TRIPS/SPREAD are all POWER SIDE calls to manipulate the defense on that side along with the OVER call.

WILD and EAGLE are calls we make to expand the backside.  With POP I used EAGLE...a lot.  So we expanded our backside but it was essentially a LOOSE call on the back side...EAGLE = DOUBLE LOOSE.

Jack

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »
2008 1st RND Playoff CKS 5th Grade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18JM8Y8FPrg
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 04:04:44 PM by coachgregory »

Offline searider86

• Bronze
  • I wasn't hired for my disposition.
  • Defense: Undecided
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 06:15:37 PM »
Is the 1st play from scrimmage your Double ISO?
"Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority."

Vince Lombardi

Offline Luc

• Silver
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 06:17:42 PM »
2008 1st RND Playoff CKS 5th Grade
Well, that wasn't even close ;)
Coach, did you actually sub in the second half ?

One thing for sure, these being the finals, and those teams being there, they must be used to be effective passing.
Not that it made a difference. Your kids were all over them. Not easy to pass against your teams.

Nice game Coach.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »
Is the 1st play from scrimmage your Double ISO?

Yes it is...we used double ISO in that game a lot.  They were not prepared for it...as teh game wore on we started getting more and more yardage from it but more importantly we started to get more and more yards from POWER adn POWER SWEEP as the ISO was forcing them to sit on the backside longer...:)

Jack

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 06:39:20 PM »
Well, that wasn't even close ;)
Coach, did you actually sub in the second half ?

One thing for sure, these being the finals, and those teams being there, they must be used to be effective passing.
Not that it made a difference. Your kids were all over them. Not easy to pass against your teams.

Nice game Coach.

We did a lot of subbing in that game and even put a few kids in the backfield that only got a small amount of reps at QB (RB really) and BB.  I was trying to control the score at that point so it didn't get to out of control.

Jack