Author Topic: Slip Block?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline CoachMattC

• Gold
  • Skype ID: cale.matt
    • Videos
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Positions
Slip Block?
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »
I'm watching the Chris Forester (OL coach for the Redskins) session from the 2013 COOL Clinic and he keeps referring to a "Slip Block". On video it looks like that means the outside man in the combo ends up on the backer. Is that right or do I have it screwed up?

Also, he talks about "Snap backs". It looks like he means if the PST and PSG are in a combo but the PSG can't get leverage on the DL, then the PSG will give the DL a hard punch or "snap back" to knock down the DL and help the PST get fitted up then the PSG climbs. Same question, is that right or am I misunderstanding?

What strikes me about his approach is it is eerily similar to what Joe likes to do. Instead of IZ at the Guard and OZ at the TE, they run IZ at the TACKLE and Stretch/OZ outside the TE.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:54:07 AM by CoachMattC »
‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Coaching: High School
  • Title: Retired
Re: Slip Block?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 06:00:05 PM »
I'm watching the Chris Forester (OL coach for the Redskins) session from the 2013 COOL Clinic and he keeps referring to a "Slip Block". On video it looks like that means the outside man in the combo ends up on the backer. Is that right or do I have it screwed up?

Also, he talks about "Snap backs". It looks like he means if the PST and PSG are in a combo but the PSG can't get leverage on the DL, then the PSG will give the DL a hard punch or "snap back" to knock down the DL and help the PST get fitted up then the PSG climbs. Same question, is that right or am I misunderstanding?

What strikes me about his approach is it is eerily similar to what Joe likes to do. Instead of IZ at the Guard and OZ at the TE, they run IZ at the TACKLE and Stretch/OZ outside the TE.

SIMPLY a zone COMBO.  Each COMBO had it's OWN NAME (ATTACHED are the CALLS used by pairs as shown on IZ & OZ):

ZONE BLOCKING PLAYS:

1.   “MINGO” = MAN BLOCK
2.   “COMBO” = ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN OFFSIDE H/Y AND T (T WOULD BE COVERED)
3.   “SLIP” = ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN OFFSIDE T AND G (T/UNCOVERED & G/COVERED)
4.   “SCOOP” = ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN OFFSIDE G & CTR (G/UNCOVERED & C/COVERED)
5.   “RAY” & “LENNY” = ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN CTR & ONSIDE G (CTR/UNCOVERED & G/COVERED).  “RAY” = RT & “LENNY = LT.
6.   “READ” = ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN ON G & T (G/UNCOVERED & T/COVERED)
7.   “COMBO-ONSIDE” ("TED")  = ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN ON T & H/Y (T/UNCOVERED & H/Y/COVERED)
8.   “TEAM” = 3 MAN ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN CTR-ON G – ON T.   (USED ON INSIDE OR OUTSIDE ZONE)
9.   “GANG” = 3 MAN ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN ON G-ON T- ON H/Y.  USED PRIMARILY ON OUTSIDE ZONE
10.   “RAM” = 3 MAN ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN BOTH G’s & CTR.  USED PRIMARILY ON OUTSIDE ZONE.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:11:56 PM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline defensewins

• Bronze
  • Coaching: College
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 10:13:04 PM »
I always heard a slip block as a backside zone combination, usually referring to the T and G

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Coaching: High School
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 10:18:50 PM »
I always heard a slip block as a backside zone combination, usually referring to the T and G

Check page 34 of my blocking sheets just above YOUR post!
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com