Author Topic: tight zone variations  (Read 898 times)

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Head Coach
tight zone variations
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:07:16 AM »
We are introducing tight zone tonight

I've seen so many variations... however I'm most intrigued by the "draw" action anyone have any referances to share?
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
Re: tight zone variations
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 10:13:17 AM »
We are introducing tight zone tonight

I've seen so many variations... however I'm most intrigued by the "draw" action anyone have any referances to share?
Draws are great especially when you have an agressive or undisciplined D. I found this out when my RB did an accidental draw last year. He forgot he was getting the ball so he delayed his run and took it to the house.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:26:39 AM »
I found this out when my RB did an accidental draw last year. He forgot he was getting the ball so he delayed his run and took it to the house.

The first draw was an accidental one, apparently.

A botched play, originally designed to be a pass play, caused quarterback Otto Graham to improvise a hand-off to fullback Marion Motley. A surprised Motley, who had been expecting to block on the play, instead ran for a big gain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draw_play
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »
We ran a very successful draw last season. Against an Over front, we combo'd the 1 & wrapped the tackle around the 3 to the Mike.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Texan

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »
We ran a very successful draw last season. Against an Over front, we combo'd the 1 & wrapped the tackle around the 3 to the Mike.

Joe

Joe - having a hard time visualizing this.  Do you have any sketches or anything?

We need a draw and a screen in our offense.  Those are missing pieces right now.

CL