Author Topic: Ugliness in all its glory...  (Read 3700 times)

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Ugliness in all its glory...
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:34:10 PM »
Well, if I'm going to brag, I'll take my lumps too. 

22-6 loss #1 for the season, knocked us out of the playoffs, we're in white:

Reading 1 10 20 2013 520016)

I have been through it twice, but not in any kind of excruciating detail.  Offensively, looked pretty simple what they did to us - they were in a 6-2 and sent their interior guys screaming through our OL low and hard - frog, submarine, whatever.  And we didn't handle it AT ALL.  I knew we were in trouble on the first play when it got blown up.

We went 6-0 against sh*tty teams, and while we knew we had a slow ST (#77) and that our QT (#62) struggled sealing for the pulling G, it hadn't really hurt us.  We harped on them getting off the ball, but really didn't DO anything about it.  Well, it killed us yesterday, we couldn't do anything with that kid #4 living in our backfield.  What was a real treat was the safety - our C blocks playside (we don't have a play where he does that) and the QT somehow decided to block OUT on the DT (turns out he was doing that all day, despite getting CONSTANT feedback ALL SEASON to step down and seal for the QG pull).  WB didn't have a chance, let their most aggressive/quick N in untouched on the ball.  Worst thing is that I couldn't see from the sideline what was going on, and the kids couldn't/wouldn't tell me who was coming in clean.  I just saw our line getting blown up every down.

What aggravates me is how open sweep was, but we kept missing blocks.  Every time we turned it over on downs, I can point to a play within the series that should have gotten a first down but didn't because of a missed block by a RB.  Second series, we had a QB sweep left where all 3 backs for some reason zoned the fact that I've done nothing but tell them to make sure the DE gets blocked, and they all run right by him.  Not true - FB took a half-hearted swipe at him.  What should have been a long gainer or TD (sideline was WIDE open) was instead stuffed and we turned it over on downs.

Happened all game, with different people missing.  Or the runner not using his blocks.  Or...or...or...or.

Very frustrating.  We just didn't have these kids prepared.  Poor QB was completely beat up by end of game, he was the only one I was trusting to actually run the rock.

About the only real missed potential I could see was beast sweep.  I ran QB sweep from under center a ton, could have gone beast and switched up the backs.  But they were in the backfield so fast I wanted to minimize how long the QB was in the backfield.  So basically, I choked.

Ah well.  Crappy team next week so we'll finish 7-1 and be done.  I've got some thinking to do.

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
Re: Ugliness in all its glory...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »
What was a real treat was the safety - our C blocks playside (we don't have a play where he does that) and the QT somehow decided to block OUT on the DT (turns out he was doing that all day, despite getting CONSTANT feedback ALL SEASON to step down and seal for the QG pull). 

DWC's thread(s) brought this to mind.  While in a couple of other places in this post I take responsibility for not getting the kids ready, I was clearly deflecting some blame here.  I was/am frustrated and pissed that the kids didn't do what they were supposed to do.  Of course I don't want to take the blame, I want to point to the 10 year old kid because every single week, every single practice we harped on him to get to the inside shoulder of the defender and turn him out.

But of course I should have found a new way to get it across, or replaced the kid at that position.  This situation wasn't new.  Once my player consistently demonstrated that he couldn't or wouldn't do it, it was incumbent on me to find another way for him to be successful.  And I know my frustration is really at myself and my situation for that.  It's not the kid's fault that he has sub-par coaching.

I'd also like to give props to this site and guys like Dave Potter.  Without you guys, I would have stopped right there and just stewed about the kids and how they don't listen and don't do what they're told, and never acknowledged that my frustration is with myself, as is the responsibility for them not getting it done.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:38:23 AM »
John

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the game even though the bad guys won.

We all say the right things after a loss but its all PC crap....the reality is young kids can ruin the best laid plans. That will never change.

We got hammered week 3 by a good team but not a team that should have hammered us. Great week of practice....excellent scouting....the kids laid one giant and collective turd. Had ZERO to do with coaching.

I think we all tend to beat up on ourselves too much when losing. Yes there are 101 things we can all do to help alleviate the possibility of losing but the reality is....we can do 102 things and still lose....and lose badly.

Sometimes it just is what it is. The only fix....keep choppin' wood and lighten up. We cant forget that football only a game to be thoroughly enjoyed and nothing more....and believe me I am as guilty as anyone of this.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »
the kids laid one giant and collective turd. Had ZERO to do with coaching.

I think we all tend to beat up on ourselves too much when losing.

Sounds to me like you're not beating yourself up enough.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 11:48:17 AM »
Sounds to me like you're not beating yourself up enough.

M

I stopped doing that a decade ago.  ;) ;)

Hey...I have a plan for the Company Team if we get to play them again....I will call this evening after practice.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 11:50:40 AM »
Great week of practice...

Not unless it's followed by a great game.

Otherwise, it's just a mirage, and you need to figure out how you didn't notice.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 11:54:48 AM »
Not unless it's followed by a great game.

Otherwise, it's just a mirage, and you need to figure out how you didn't notice.

M

Great thought.....young kids are just a mirage sometimes. I'll buy that.  :)

There was a moment there in the first quarter I thought I was on the wrong field.  ;D

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 01:05:39 PM »
Like I said, I need to do some thinking.

I did not enjoy the last two weeks at all.  In fact, I'll go back about 3 weeks, since we destroyed their other team that usually knocks us out.  I knew this game was coming, and it was wearing on me.  I almost got thrown out of a game two weeks ago for snapping at the referee, said something really dumb, which is totally unlike me.  I'm usually the guy who has the refs laughing.

If we'd have won, it would have kept getting worse until we lost.

I need to find some perspective.  As I type on this board despite having a boatload of actual work to do...

Online CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 09:48:49 AM »
I'd also like to give props to this site and guys like Dave Potter.  Without you guys, I would have stopped right there and just stewed about the kids and how they don't listen and don't do what they're told, and never acknowledged that my frustration is with myself, as is the responsibility for them not getting it done.

It's a learning process, John.  For all of us.  And one thing I've seen in coaching at ALL levels, is that there is too much blame, and too little of accepting responsibility.  Each of us has far more control over this thing we call "a team" than we really think.  But the challenge is not in understanding how much control we have, but how to get our players to do what we want them to do.  And because it can be a complicated, time-consuming process we can forget that we're the reason our players learn (or don't), and we look to place the blame elsewhere (players, parents, admin, others on the coaching staff).  We get so much better as coaches when we accept the responsibility that success or failure lies with us.  When we don't have the answer keys, coaching can be a very frustrating experience. 

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline djohnson9

• Copper
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 10:07:16 AM »
...because it can be a complicated, time-consuming process we can forget that we're the reason our players learn (or don't)...

CoachDP, I know you have been a Header and have worked under a head coach too.  I quoted your piece about time-consuming because I experienced a problem this year as I worked under a header that always had a practice plan (generally our practices ran an hour and a half), and I routinely found myself needing more time to teach these kids than I had.  I default back to something I learned from you last year when I was a head coach:  (1) haven't been taught (2) not capable or (3) don't care.  I know the kids were taught because they could perform the task after I coached them up.  This also showed me they were capable.  I never had the time to find a reason for them to care and time was outside of my control.  I tried to do things outside of practice time but the kids wouldn't show up.

Any ideas for me on this topic?  How do you coach the kids to care?  I would appreciate any coaches with some insight on this.  This seems to be the biggest problem on teams I have helped out with.

v/r

Dan

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 12:44:52 PM »
CoachDP, I know you have been a Header and have worked under a head coach too.  I quoted your piece about time-consuming because I experienced a problem this year as I worked under a header that always had a practice plan (generally our practices ran an hour and a half), and I routinely found myself needing more time to teach these kids than I had.  I default back to something I learned from you last year when I was a head coach:  (1) haven't been taught (2) not capable or (3) don't care.  I know the kids were taught because they could perform the task after I coached them up.  This also showed me they were capable.  I never had the time to find a reason for them to care and time was outside of my control.  I tried to do things outside of practice time but the kids wouldn't show up.

Any ideas for me on this topic?  How do you coach the kids to care?  I would appreciate any coaches with some insight on this.  This seems to be the biggest problem on teams I have helped out with.

v/r

Dan
Have you ever asked them if they cared?