Author Topic: 2nd Annual Youth Double Wing - Allen, TX  (Read 3250 times)

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Other
2nd Annual Youth Double Wing - Allen, TX
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:22:26 AM »
Coaches,

I am in the process of looking at Saturday dates between Feb and April for the clinic.  If you have a suggestion let me know. 

I will be focusing this year on Multiple Formations, Passing game, and some variations we use in our spread game.  I am also doing a Q&A period for new coaches to work on the basic system.

Jack
Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Offline BobbyG

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: DC Run and Shoot
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: 2nd Annual Youth Double Wing - Allen, TX
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 11:48:33 AM »
Any chance you can bring your defense into the clinic too?

-Bobby

Offline BobbyG

• Copper
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »
Nevermind just saw you post under the defense section. Can't wait for both!

-Bobby

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 09:41:25 AM »
Coaches,

I am in the process of looking at Saturday dates between Feb and April for the clinic.  If you have a suggestion let me know. 

I will be focusing this year on Multiple Formations, Passing game, and some variations we use in our spread game.  I am also doing a Q&A period for new coaches to work on the basic system.

Jack

Here is what I am thinking about doing:

1) Introduction to the Mulitple Attack Package (backfield and perimeter variations in the Power/Counter/Iso game). (1.5 hours)
2) Adapting Power Series to a tough Defensive End. (30 minutes)
3) Using the Trap and the Wedge against the interior defenders. (1 hour)
4) Play Action Passing Game (1 hour)
5) Perimeter Passing Game (1 hour)
6) Pass Protection in the YDW (1 hour)
7) Using variations of POWER/ROCKET/JET/FLY in the power series. (1 hour)
8) Q&A Period for Attendees
9) Closing comments

Lunch is provided.

Jack

Offline Coach_O

• Gold
    • Helmet Decals
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 07:40:57 PM »
Here is what I am thinking about doing:

1) Introduction to the Mulitple Attack Package (backfield and perimeter variations in the Power/Counter/Iso game). (1.5 hours)
2) Adapting Power Series to a tough Defensive End. (30 minutes)
3) Using the Trap and the Wedge against the interior defenders. (1 hour)
4) Play Action Passing Game (1 hour)
5) Perimeter Passing Game (1 hour)
6) Pass Protection in the YDW (1 hour)
7) Using variations of POWER/ROCKET/JET/FLY in the power series. (1 hour)
8) Q&A Period for Attendees
9) Closing comments

Lunch is provided.

Jack

I hope you video record this!

Offline BobbyG

• Copper
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »
I am looking to do a lot more passing next season. As much as 50%. We have some quick skill players with good hands that need space to make things happen. I am hopping to take advantage of that. This year our biggest offensive issues were with our sweep plays and generally getting our run plays to work vs. more physical teams that loaded the box. We would often see 8 on the line with 2 DEs/OLBs on each edge. The other issue I had was trying to make my main pass plays RuPOs where we ran it like the sweep. Our difficulty in running sweep carried over to the RuPOs and it was evey quarterback for himself. I took too long as a coach to dump the RuPOs and instead installing a wedge quick pop and some quick slants. We didn't have enough practice time to execute them well in the play offs.

If we would have worked more at pass plays and I was better at coaching them we would have been able to punish the loading of the box. The fault lies fully in my coaching so this is the heart of my request to get as much passing information as I can, especially how to coach the concepts to the kids. This would be great.

I have the idea of next years offense being a mix of double wing with a lot of bubble screens, quick slants, and a few floods. Much like if not exactly like your eagle packages. The trap plays that the spread forums talk so much about as esential are basically just having the tackle kick out for a power out of shot gun. Wedge is Wedge no mater the formation. I'm not sure that I like a direct snap though, thinking of keeping it snapped to the QB and try to get a read on the End to help with an outside sweep attack.

-Bobby

Glad to hear your still in the area. I hear Love Joy is a great school district. I am about to have the fun of coaching my next sons flag team. He is in kindergarden this year and excited to be a "football" player like his big brother. I didn't do fall ball with him as I wanted to keep him from being too distracted while starting school. Time for a double wing version of Flag football!!!

Offline Coach_O

• Gold
    • Helmet Decals
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 06:36:25 PM »
BobbyG,

I also had trouble against loaded boxes and more powerful defenders. What I recommend is the Rocket Sweep that helps your backfield get out to the perimeter faster. I also used Loose Over a ton, what I wish I would have done though was use Bravos G Sweep which he says has helped him when he cant go traditional power and the defense sells out of toss. He explains it as a wider power. Wish I would have installed it this season. 

Offline Coach_O

• Gold
    • Helmet Decals
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 06:39:36 PM »
also...

I had the same mind set before this season started about passing more and even had the kids play 7on7 passing league. The fact is that it is very difficult to sustain drives with 50% passing, unless you have a very high completion percentage rate which is hard to do at the 11& under levels. I would look for ways to manipulate the edge so you can keep to your run game. 50% passing is quite hard to sustain.

Offline BobbyG

• Copper
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 07:50:44 AM »
Thanks for the feedback coach. I think the kids could do real well with the passing. We seem to have the talent for it. I just need to learn to coach it.
Bobby

Offline angalton

• Gold
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Offense: Wishbone
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 08:35:59 PM »
Coach I am traveling from St. Louis to be there. April would be great, for the reason I am going to listen to Coach Tim Murphy at glaziers clinic in Feb. Either way I will be there.
The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

Offline searider86

• Bronze
  • I wasn't hired for my disposition.
  • Defense: Undecided
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »
If your offense and defense clinics could be back to back days that would be awesome.  Looking to make 1 trip East this offseason.
"Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority."

Vince Lombardi

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
If your offense and defense clinics could be back to back days that would be awesome.  Looking to make 1 trip East this offseason.

I had thought about doing that but I would rather do these on seperate dates so I can really focus my attention on each one.  Plus Sundays are really tough for me...I would rather do a Friday night/Saturday event...  That doesn't mean we could not set down and have a one on one about the other one :)

Jack

Offline wmoor014

• Copper
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
I would love to come down and do both in one shot.  my training commissioner  and I  for my org are coming from Va and we want to turn our org into a Gregory DW and 6-3 program. So we will be there hopefully we can talk 6-3 when we come for the ydw clinic

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 10:07:16 AM »
I would love to come down and do both in one shot.  my training commissioner  and I  for my org are coming from Va and we want to turn our org into a Gregory DW and 6-3 program. So we will be there hopefully we can talk 6-3 when we come for the ydw clinic

If I have a lot of interest in doing both on the same weekend I can see about earmarking one weekend and doing both.

Jack