Author Topic: Footwork for IZ on shaded lineman.  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Footwork for IZ on shaded lineman.
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:25:27 AM »
I was thinking about zone steps for IZ in cases of shades. Looking at this diagram, let's say that I am running IZ to the left. First of all, I know that the numbering system is WRONG. I'm just using a diagram that I used before because I didn't feel like redoing it. So the shaded "1" is actually the "0" and the backside "0" on the right is now a "1".

OK. The center steps with his left foot slightly upfield on his 1st step and crosses over with his right foot and making contact with his half of the DLman on the 2nd step.

What are the steps for the LG? Does he lead with his left foot or right foot to combo with the C? I know his #1 man is the LBer (incorrectly labeled #2 for this scenario). I was under the assumption that they always lead with the playside foot.

This would also affect the RG on the backside 3 technique who would be #1. Does the RG lead with left or right foot first?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 07:28:03 AM by Vince148 »

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
Re: Footwork for IZ on shaded lineman.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:32:54 AM »
I was thinking about zone steps for IZ in cases of shades. Looking at this diagram, let's say that I am running IZ to the left. First of all, I know that the numbering system is WRONG. I'm just using a diagram that I used before because I didn't feel like redoing it. So the shaded "1" is actually the "0" and the backside "0" on the right is now a "1".

OK. The center steps with his left foot slightly upfield on his 1st step and crosses over with his right foot and making contact with his half of the DLman on the 2nd step.

What are the steps for the LG? Does he lead with his left foot or right foot to combo with the C? I know his #1 man is the LBer (incorrectly labeled #2 for this scenario). I was under the assumption that they always lead with the playside foot.

EVERYBODY steps with his PLAY-SIDE foot to the AIMING POINTS.

AIMING POINTS FOR IZ & OZ.  There are no other WHAT-IFS (doesn't MATTER where they are aligned = the "angle of departure" is always TO those "aiming points")!  Keep it simple and CONSISTENT!

A)  IZ
     1. UNCOVERED STEP TO HELMET OF DLM (IF YOU DON'T CONTACT NEAR # ON FIRST STEP CLIMB TO LB)
     2. COVERED STEP TO OUTSIDE # OF DLM

B)  OZ
     1.  UNCOVERED STEP TO HELMET OF DLM (IF YOU DON'T CONTACT HIS STERNUM BY THIRD STEP CLIMB TO LB)
     2.  COVERED STEP TO OUTSIDE ARM PIT OF DLM

SEE TWO LINKS FROM MY NOTEBOOK (BE SURE TO CLICK ON BOTH).  WE TEACH NO MORE THAN THIS:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:28:49 AM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Footwork for IZ on shaded lineman.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 11:48:07 AM »
V

As Bill suggests...the footwork is the footwork regardless.

We will literally lend a hand though especially for the Center on a 1 tech. The PSOG will chip the 1 techs near shoulder with his away hand HARD on is way up field. It is a continuous motion that holds the defender for a nano second so the Center can get on him. We teach this to all positions but it is most common for the Center on a 1 tech since the Center must snap first. This is especially common for your play design if the Center is left handed...running right it is especially common if the Center is right handed.
What is beautiful, lives forever.