Author Topic: Critique my zone running  (Read 1351 times)

Offline LuNchBoX1371

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wishbone
  • Title: Other
Critique my zone running
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:01:40 PM »
So i have coached HS for a couple years with a zone offense, we did ok-i could of done a better job coaching but i was 20 so im better now that im 24- ,but now i am looking to coach my own pop warner team and i am going to be a O/C. My dad thinks that the zone system is to confusing for the kids, he wants to run man, and that they'll just be guessing on what to do in zone; but i know nothing of man blocking and i have a feeling the kids will just be guessing on what man to get while there coming up to the line and would rather have them following rules. So i am goin to try and teach the zone blocking to the kids. I know the zone blocking very well and have confidence in what i am teaching- with a little help from USA Football as far as drills go i think i can do it. So here it is.

Now here r our rules; in zone blocking every lineman has a number that corresponds to the Defensive player on the opposite side of the ball. The center is 0, G's 1, T's 2, TE's 3. So if the defense is running a 4-3 the center has the Mike backer which is 0, the playside gaurd has the D-lineman in front of him which is 1 and so on. Now where this differs from man is that the center cant just leave immediatley at the snap of the ball cause our second rule is: the open man on the line goes playside to help block. What this means is that at the snap of the ball the center/open lineman, and all the lineman, take a step playside-either a drive, jab, or a reach step- and attacks the dlineman. Now here is where it gets a little tricky and im afraid it might all go to hell. As they take there first step, if the d-lineman attacks the outside shoulder of the gaurd, then the gaurd gets his hat across the dlineman and its the gaurds man and the center goes to the second level; if the d-lineman attacks the "a" gap then both the center and gaurd get hip to hip and double team him to the second level to get- hopefully- there assigned linebacker. Now if they cant get there assigned linebacker then they drive him to the another backside linebacker and leave that assigned linebacker for one of the 2 blocking RB's- cause im also running a wishbone formation so its not neccessary that they all get to the linebackers. Now if that dlineman attacks all the way on the other side of the center then it is the centers guy and the guard goes for that assigned linebacker.

There it is, my zone blocking. Now i know that some people have had success at it at the older levels and i am not sure yet wat age group i am getting but we are hoping for either a jr pee wee team or a pee wee team. I think my system is a good mix between man and zone because a true zone has the backside player try and shove off the frontside player so the frontside player can go and get the linebacker; we have none of this and the kids are just getting the man that comes in the gap for the most part, and since we have extra RB's we are goin to have plenty of guys to block the linebackers even if the o-lineman cant get to the second level. So what do you think. Im confident in my coaching and my system but unsure if it is to hard for this level. Please critique and let me know what you think. Thank you to all

Read more: http://coachhuey.com/thread/62443/critique-zone-running#ixzz2o2V8qxyP

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
Re: Critique my zone running
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »
So i have coached HS for a couple years with a zone offense, we did ok-i could of done a better job coaching but i was 20 so im better now that im 24- ,but now i am looking to coach my own pop warner team and i am going to be a O/C. My dad thinks that the zone system is to confusing for the kids, he wants to run man, and that they'll just be guessing on what to do in zone; but i know nothing of man blocking and i have a feeling the kids will just be guessing on what man to get while there coming up to the line and would rather have them following rules. So i am goin to try and teach the zone blocking to the kids. I know the zone blocking very well and have confidence in what i am teaching- with a little help from USA Football as far as drills go i think i can do it. So here it is.

Now here r our rules; in zone blocking every lineman has a number that corresponds to the Defensive player on the opposite side of the ball. The center is 0, G's 1, T's 2, TE's 3. So if the defense is running a 4-3 the center has the Mike backer which is 0, the playside gaurd has the D-lineman in front of him which is 1 and so on. Now where this differs from man is that the center cant just leave immediatley at the snap of the ball cause our second rule is: the open man on the line goes playside to help block. What this means is that at the snap of the ball the center/open lineman, and all the lineman, take a step playside-either a drive, jab, or a reach step- and attacks the dlineman. Now here is where it gets a little tricky and im afraid it might all go to hell. As they take there first step, if the d-lineman attacks the outside shoulder of the gaurd, then the gaurd gets his hat across the dlineman and its the gaurds man and the center goes to the second level; if the d-lineman attacks the "a" gap then both the center and gaurd get hip to hip and double team him to the second level to get- hopefully- there assigned linebacker. Now if they cant get there assigned linebacker then they drive him to the another backside linebacker and leave that assigned linebacker for one of the 2 blocking RB's- cause im also running a wishbone formation so its not neccessary that they all get to the linebackers. Now if that dlineman attacks all the way on the other side of the center then it is the centers guy and the guard goes for that assigned linebacker.

There it is, my zone blocking. Now i know that some people have had success at it at the older levels and i am not sure yet wat age group i am getting but we are hoping for either a jr pee wee team or a pee wee team. I think my system is a good mix between man and zone because a true zone has the backside player try and shove off the frontside player so the frontside player can go and get the linebacker; we have none of this and the kids are just getting the man that comes in the gap for the most part, and since we have extra RB's we are goin to have plenty of guys to block the linebackers even if the o-lineman cant get to the second level. So what do you think. Im confident in my coaching and my system but unsure if it is to hard for this level. Please critique and let me know what you think. Thank you to all

Read more: http://coachhuey.com/thread/62443/critique-zone-running#ixzz2o2V8qxyP

The "open" man (as you put it) takes ONE STEP play side on Inside Zone.  If he hasn't contacted the DLM by then he goes to the LB (DRIVE BLOCK)!  End of THAT discussion.

2.  The open man takes THREE STEPS play side on Outside Zone.  If he hasn't contacted the DLM by then he goes to the LB (REACH BLOCK)!  End of THAT discussion.

SEE ATTACHMENT for ILLUSTRATIONS:

NOTE:  I have put TONS of stuff on this site about all that.  Please go back  RESEARCH it, as it would take WEEKS to re-post it.  ALSO feel free to PHONE because I can discuss it MUCH, MUCH faster than I can type (I never TOOK typing).  804-716-7038 (VIRGINIA)
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »
Problem 1-

I know the zone blocking very well and have confidence in what i am teaching- with a little help from USA Football as far as drills go i think i can do it.

USA Football is too general. You will have too much troubleshooting going on. You need to find your Zone "Camp". What you know about how things work at the HS level will not fully translate to the youth levels. You need a Mentor that has been in the youth trenches.

Problem 2 -

Now here r our rules; in zone blocking every lineman has a number that corresponds to the Defensive player on the opposite side of the ball. The center is 0, G's 1, T's 2, TE's 3. So if the defense is running a 4-3 the center has the Mike backer which is 0

The 43 is the most uncommon D you will face unless its mandated by your youth league or something odd like that.  Counting is fine for IZ because LB'rs are more static....not so for OZ because LB'rs are much less static. You must consider the rotation of the Zone before you start teaching a count system.

Problem 3-

I think my system is a good mix between man and zone because a true zone has the backside player try and shove off the frontside player so the frontside player can go and get the linebacker; we have none of this and the kids are just getting the man that comes in the gap for the most part, and since we have extra RB's we are goin to have plenty of guys to block the linebackers even if the o-lineman cant get to the second level.

Iso principles and Zone principles are a poor mix. You are putting a body(s) in your alley(s). Zone creates those alleys by running defenders. ISO is prying open a hole and sending a bully boy lead and the football through that hole...quickly. Zone is a more patient concept.

If you follow your Fathers advise and man block and count...PM Michael or Zach on this Forum and get on the phone with them.

If you want to dive all in on the Zone then call Bill.

Mixing will not marry well IMHO.

Final Problem-

im also running a wishbone formation

If you go all in on Zone....there are better choices for running Zone. Starting with a good Zone Formation is the first step.

Good luck.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »
Barta bone uses a count

Wish bone triple you can count

You can zone block in any offense your results will differ drastically.

pro style or 1 back is the best obviousley for zone blocking and running

"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random