Author Topic: Shoulder pads instead of bags  (Read 957 times)

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
Shoulder pads instead of bags
« on: January 02, 2014, 03:20:28 PM »
I've seen this a few times from blocking videos to tackling videos.  Instead of using shields or bags they take old shoulder pads and put a jersey on them.  Then the players just use their hands or wrap just like they would on an opponent.  We have a ton of old shoulder pads we can't use so I am going to try it this spring and see how it works.  Has anyone else tried this before?

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
Re: Shoulder pads instead of bags
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 03:29:52 PM »
I've seen this a few times from blocking videos to tackling videos.  Instead of using shields or bags they take old shoulder pads and put a jersey on them.  Then the players just use their hands or wrap just like they would on an opponent.  We have a ton of old shoulder pads we can't use so I am going to try it this spring and see how it works.  Has anyone else tried this before?

Yes, for blocking.

So far, I haven't bothered to put a jersey on them.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 03:33:04 PM »
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline CoachJohn

• Gold
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: DC Wing T
  • Title: Administration
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »
Yes,

I use them often as long as they are covered by a jersey or shirt.  Excellent usage for teaching tackling and landmarks.  At times I find dummies to be out of proportion for my guys.  I have traditionally used them during no pads week ... just ask a few parents or players to bring theirs in with a jersey.

I believe I got the idea to use them from a Youtube tackling video by a team named St. Viator or something similar.
"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer