Author Topic: Positive Attitude  (Read 3533 times)

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Other
Positive Attitude
« on: February 11, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
Thought these were worth posting as they apply to football and football practice in general.  We preach and teach the same things... 

My kids hear this a lot...:)  That are a lot of little nuggets that kids really need to hear...

Navy SEAL Training - Self Confidence - Froglogic Motivational Training

Navy SEAL Training - Self Confidence Mission 1: Have a Positive Attitude

Navy SEAL Training - Self-Confidence Mission 2: PT and Live Healthy

Navy SEAL Training - Self-Confidence Mission 3: Motivate Yourself and Others

Navy SEAL Training - Mission 4: Earn Respect

Navy SEAL Training - SelfConfidence Mission 5: Set Goals

Navy SEAL Training - Self-Confidence Mission 6: Live with Integrity

Navy SEAL Training - Self-Confidence Mission 7: Mentoring

Mental Toughness - Navy Seals - Mental Toughness  THis is goes to the heart of winning on the practice field...before you hit the game field.  We know our capabilities long before we hit the game field...

Mental Toughness -

US Navy SEALs Mental Toughness | Running

Jack
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:13:34 PM by coachgregory »
Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
Re: Positive Attitude
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:37:36 PM »
Sounds like a broken record with me.

Believe in yourself
Believe in your team
Brave folk are nothing more than us guys who didn't give into fear!!
CONFIDENCE in all that you attempt. 
Fear of Failure keeps most of us from trying in the first place.

Failure is only failure if you FAIL to learn.

I have mentioned all of these, and more, to my kids.  My last statement to them was "I dont care whose leg you're chewing on as long as you're chewing on one.  We'll figure it our later!!

In other words INDEED!!

;D
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:39:46 PM »
Jack

We had Navy Seal Night last season. It was the single best team building exercise I have ever seen. 8 former Navy Seals volunteered their time came in & worked our boys for 12 hours. 6 pm to 6 am they put them rigorous training Navy Seal style. The first 30 second was all it took to garner full attention of everyone. It was done with no yelling or screaming, & extremely effective. Positive attitude & confidence were built very fast.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:22:44 PM »
Jack

We had Navy Seal Night last season. It was the single best team building exercise I have ever seen. 8 former Navy Seals volunteered their time came in & worked our boys for 12 hours. 6 pm to 6 am they put them rigorous training Navy Seal style. The first 30 second was all it took to garner full attention of everyone. It was done with no yelling or screaming, & extremely effective. Positive attitude & confidence were built very fast.

Joe

Joe I would invite those who have failed to make "Seal Team"  they truly know how hard it is.  There is no shame at all for "Ringing the Bell". 

I dont know who said it but "It is far better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all."

;)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 12:38:46 AM »
Dusty

One thing they said amazed me, they said everyone who goes through actual Seal training whether they pass or "Ring Out" have the feeling at one point that the only option is to "Ring the bell". Just to be chosen to try they have to be very special.

I am still raving about the night & it was back in July. I have seen many different techniques to build a team, nothing can compare with what they did. They start with "swim buddy's" a team of 2, then a "Boats" a team of 8, & finally the "Squad" entire team. The concept was not about the individual, but the team, your boat & your swim buddy. Very rapidly they become more concerned with the whole instead of the individual.

The other thing is they build confidence because they know how to get men to exceed what they believe are there limitations. Our players went way beyond their perceived limits. When they finished there was a glow in their eyes & they were totally spent. It took us almost a week to get our legs back, but whenever things got difficult they recalled that night. They were mentally tough & won 6 of our 11 wins in the fourth quarter.

I can't  speak highly enough about those men. They gave freely of their time & not only were an inspiration to the players but the coaches as well. Our first playoff game we made a big deal & invited them, 7 of the 8 showed up. We surprised the players & the commander gave the pregame speech. It was a great night.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 07:23:52 AM »
Dusty

One thing they said amazed me, they said everyone who goes through actual Seal training whether they pass or "Ring Out" have the feeling at one point that the only option is to "Ring the bell". Just to be chosen to try they have to be very special.

I am still raving about the night & it was back in July. I have seen many different techniques to build a team, nothing can compare with what they did. They start with "swim buddy's" a team of 2, then a "Boats" a team of 8, & finally the "Squad" entire team. The concept was not about the individual, but the team, your boat & your swim buddy. Very rapidly they become more concerned with the whole instead of the individual.

The other thing is they build confidence because they know how to get men to exceed what they believe are there limitations. Our players went way beyond their perceived limits. When they finished there was a glow in their eyes & they were totally spent. It took us almost a week to get our legs back, but whenever things got difficult they recalled that night. They were mentally tough & won 6 of our 11 wins in the fourth quarter.

I can't  speak highly enough about those men. They gave freely of their time & not only were an inspiration to the players but the coaches as well. Our first playoff game we made a big deal & invited them, 7 of the 8 showed up. We surprised the players & the commander gave the pregame speech. It was a great night.

Joe

Those men are amazing.

I had a chance to serve and do some training with a few of them when I was deployed on the 15th MEU SOC with the Maritime Special Operations Team.  I learned a great deal from them...  Probably the finest group of war fighters we have...

I can say this it has an impact at any age...my seven year old has ADHD...biggest problem was is confidence and how frustrated he would get when he started to struggle or fall behind his peers.  I started working with him on his attitude and just the ability to not give up to the temptation of saying "I can't"...  Since we started working on that and doing a few other things he is a much different kid...a lot more confident in himself and much more willing to interact with his peers and push himself...so it works for all ages :)

Jack
Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Offline coachgs

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 08:04:07 AM »
Thanks for posting coach Gregory.

Can a moderator copy this thread to the team building.

I believe this would be a great starting point for a new coach.

Joe thanks for sharing your story. Truly inspirational.
"Character is formed, not by laws, commands, and decrees, but by quiet influence, unconscious suggestion and personal guidance."
- Marion Burton -

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:37:48 AM »
Great Stuff Jack...gonna share with Goose, and with my Dawgs too  ;D
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline DL

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 01:01:20 PM »
One of best documentaries ever on what it takes to make the elite team.

If you are going to be a hard ass, know why you are being a hardass and have a purpose to it other than just being an a-hole whose turn it is to be in charge.

If you notice there is a thought out purpose to everything they do. 

Navy SEALs BUD/S Class 234 - Part 1 - Welcome To BUD/S