Author Topic: how to stop a down blocking power I team  (Read 3594 times)

Offline coachD

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Double Wing
how to stop a down blocking power I team
« on: May 15, 2014, 12:43:48 PM »
What are some of the ways you guys stop a down blocking power- I team with one deep back and 2 back lined up directly behind the PST and PSTe that uses unbalance (double te) to power side and kicks out de with the extra te??

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Title: Other
Re: how to stop a down blocking power I team
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
What are some of the ways you guys stop a down blocking power- I team with one deep back and 2 back lined up directly behind the PST and PSTe that uses unbalance (double te) to power side and kicks out de with the extra te??

1) SHIFT call from MIKE to balance up the front six.
2) A TE fanning should never touch the DE who is playing outside and attacking up the field aggressively.  If he does he is having to move backwards to do so.

That pretty much is how we handle it.

There are few things you can do as far as calls...but I would address the two above first because the DE getting behind and under the inside TE (in this case - normally the OT) will squeeze off and spill that power play outside and into our defense/sideline all day.

Jack
Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Offline coachD

• Copper
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 06:42:45 AM »
One of the Ways I was going to try to stop this was to shift, bear crawl my def. tackles and bring maybe a coffin or cougar blitzs. What's some other good calls to stop this type of offense.

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
    • Winning Youth Football Coaching Site
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 07:39:38 AM »
My defense would call shift- our NTs would now be bracketing their SG and everyone else but the DEs would have shifted over a gap

If you have a DT inside Gap of the TE and then your DE is in 9 or 8 tech- then they aren't going to be able to "down" block that DT. We don't like that player to fly up the field and be trapped or kicked out- he is getting to the heels of the next Olinemen and stepping down with him a bit.

We played a team just like that last year at 8-9 years old in the Super Bowl game. Our approach was take away what they wanted to do- which was Belly and Power. So we backed our CBs back a few steps and crashed our DEs really hard. Wide enough so they couldn't be fanned- tight enough that they could make problems in the backfield, aiming point was outside shoulder of the TB.

Once they started using the keep out with the QB on the belly play- we went back to playing our normal DE approach- when we were wide side of field or when we thought they would be running the keep out. It depends on what they run. Most DT Power I teams out of unbalanced don't throw much- these guys didn't either until they went into their spread. So we ran Monster- which is basically our version of the 6-3.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.

Winston Churchill

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 09:34:59 AM »
One of the Ways I was going to try to stop this was to shift, bear crawl my def. tackles and bring maybe a coffin or cougar blitzs. What's some other good calls to stop this type of offense.

Not a fan of bear crawling.  I have that call in there because two orgs that use my defense teach their younger teams to bear crawl with their MPP kids...  I don't put MPP kids on defense and I work the heck out of stance/get off/behind the heels with our DL.

Somethings to consider.

Play the GAP (IN) the OLB hunts the near hip of the QB.  If the OVER TE does FAN the OLB has a free ride into the backfied right at the exchange...and more than likely the DE is not going to get blocked.  You are stuffing the play in the backfield and you still have the MIKE free.

The only time I move the CB into a position to blitz  is on the short side and I know that the TE is no threat to receive a pass AND I feel that I don't need my CAP over the top if the play goes wide.   But the CB blitz off the short side either WIDE or INSIDE is a good viable way to pressure the backfield...   The big this is do they run power because they are slow...if so spill everything to sideline and kill it in the backfield or run it into the sideline.

Jack

Offline coachD

• Copper
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 11:18:41 AM »

Not a fan of bear crawling.  I have that call in there because two orgs that use my defense teach their younger teams to bear crawl with their MPP kids...  I don't put MPP kids on defense and I work the heck out of stance/get off/behind the heels with our DL.

Somethings to consider.

Play the GAP (IN) the OLB hunts the near hip of the QB.  If the OVER TE does FAN the OLB has a free ride into the backfied right at the exchange...and more than likely the DE is not going to get blocked.  You are stuffing the play in the backfield and you still have the MIKE free.

The only time I move the CB into a position to blitz  is on the short side and I know that the TE is no threat to receive a pass AND I feel that I don't need my CAP over the top if the play goes wide.   But the CB blitz off the short side either WIDE or INSIDE is a good viable way to pressure the backfield...   The big this is do they run power because they are slow...if so spill everything to sideline and kill it in the backfield or run it into the sideline.

Jack
There a really good team theyve been together for 3  or more years. there big and fast and they give to one back 75-80% of the time out there cheesy version bull and bear.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 07:41:36 AM »
There a really good team theyve been together for 3  or more years. there big and fast and they give to one back 75-80% of the time out there cheesy version bull and bear.

I think the calls and adjustments should give them some problems.  I would also consider having MIKE flow with that one back the entire game...put your best player on their best player... I have done this on occassion and in this case if they are giving him the ball that much if you can stop him that will force them to go to their 2nd or 3rd option and take them out of their game plan.

Jack

Offline coachD

• Copper
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »

I think the calls and adjustments should give them some problems.  I would also consider having MIKE flow with that one back the entire game...put your best player on their best player... I have done this on occassion and in this case if they are giving him the ball that much if you can stop him that will force them to go to their 2nd or 3rd option and take them out of their game plan.

Jack
Coach what are some of the calls that you would make to give them hell.