Author Topic: Basic 10-50-90 Rule  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
Basic 10-50-90 Rule
« on: May 16, 2014, 05:25:05 PM »
You can draw it up any way you want any direction you want.  It might help those struggling to wrap their head around the basic premise of Zone. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline WBCoach

• Copper
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
Re: Basic 10-50-90 Rule
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 09:48:25 PM »
You can draw it up any way you want any direction you want.  It might help those struggling to wrap their head around the basic premise of Zone.
What is that? Don't understand. the one with the x over top is covered and the one without the x is uncovered so what's up with the numbers?
Team work: good as gold

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 12:24:12 AM »
10= a 10% chance I block this guy

50= a 50% Chance

90 = a 90% Chance

For instance if the play is going right, given the initial Gap Step to the right, the Covered guy has a better than average chance he is blocking the head up defender.   However if that guy slants inside, the uncovered person, gap stepping right will have the odds on blocking him.  Since there is no one over the uncovered person, unless he defender slants inside of the covered guy, the Uncovered person will Climb to 2nd to the level.  Very basic, but it allows folks who are having difficulty to at least understand whats happening with Zone.

Remember with Zone blocking the OL doesn't give 2 sh*ts what the back is doing.  We block the Defensive Front as it is presented to us.   ;)

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Undecided
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »
Looks like this = ATTACHED (from Alex Gibbs):
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline WBCoach

• Copper
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:25:42 PM »
10= a 10% chance I block this guy

50= a 50% Chance

90 = a 90% Chance

For instance if the play is going right, given the initial Gap Step to the right, the Covered guy has a better than average chance he is blocking the head up defender.   However if that guy slants inside, the uncovered person, gap stepping right will have the odds on blocking him.  Since there is no one over the uncovered person, unless he defender slants inside of the covered guy, the Uncovered person will Climb to 2nd to the level.  Very basic, but it allows folks who are having difficulty to at least understand whats happening with Zone.

Remember with Zone blocking the OL doesn't give 2 sh*ts what the back is doing.  We block the Defensive Front as it is presented to us.   ;)
Ya but I thought inside zone is man on man straight ahead blocking no zone step to the right or left.

Offline WBCoach

• Copper
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 10:28:49 PM »
Looks like this = ATTACHED (from Alex Gibbs):
Bill this works for inside zone as well? I need to start reading some of the zone blocking threads on here....lol what's a good zone DVD I could buy? Or maybe I'll just go on glazier website and see if I can find some free videos on there.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 10:36:13 PM »
Ya but I thought inside zone is man on man straight ahead blocking no zone step to the right or left.

Then it would be called inside man. 
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 11:07:05 PM »
Bill this works for inside zone as well? I need to start reading some of the zone blocking threads on here....lol what's a good zone DVD I could buy? Or maybe I'll just go on glazier website and see if I can find some free videos on there.

IF you are uncovered on Inside Zone you have to take a 45 degree lead step at DLM on your playside teammate BEFORE working up on LB (in case that DLM slants into your whiskers which will PREVENT you from getting to your LB):

INSIDE ZONE TECHNIQUE (DRIVE BLOCK TECHNIQUES):

A.   COVERED:  Take a 6” lead step aiming eyes at playside number.  Second step to crotch (do not crossover).  Hands at base of shoulder pads.

1.   If DLM stretches with you – stay on block and uncovered teammate works up on LBer.

2.   If DLM anchors on you – double team with uncovered teammate.  Stay on block until wiped off & then work upfield  aiming eyes to playside number of LBer.

3.   If DLM slants inside – force him to flatten his slant and double team with uncovered teammate.  Stay on block until wiped off & then work upfield aiming eyes to playside number of LBer.

B.   UNCOVERED:  Take a 6” lead step aiming eyes at helmet of DLM.  Do not cross over on second step.

1.   If helmet goes out on your 1st step  – 2nd step upfield aiming eyes to playside number of LBer.

2.   If helmet stays put – double team (hip to hip) with covered teammate & wipe him off on Lber.

3.   If helmet slants inside - get eyes to his playside number.  Double team with covered teammate & wipe him off on LBer.

SEE ATTACHEDS:

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 11:21:03 PM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 12:24:31 PM »

As Bill states, you are always stepping to the play because you gave to establish gap coverage regardless.  The 10-50-90 Rule simply lays it out so that younger kids can understand the basics.  Bills elaboration is excellent and is how you teach Zone.  For a group of 10 or 12 year olds simply call it 10-50-90 and teach it as diagrammed.  Reverse it so that when you ask a question they give you the answer.  By all means remember you are teaching the Line how to block any given front.  All the line cares about is play direction and inside or outside. 

;)

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 12:35:33 PM »
As Bill states, you are always stepping to the play because you gave to establish gap coverage regardless.  The 10-50-90 Rule simply lays it out so that younger kids can understand the basics.  Bills elaboration is excellent and is how you teach Zone.  For a group of 10 or 12 year olds simply call it 10-50-90 and teach it as diagrammed.  Reverse it so that when you ask a question they give you the answer.  By all means remember you are teaching the Line how to block any given front.  All the line cares about is play direction and inside or outside. 

;)

That is correct, & it applies in EITHER "man" or "zone" blocking, because man can become zone, & zone can become man, ACCORDING to what the defense does.  They are intertwined!  SEE ATTACHMENT:

PS:  None of any of this need be a "mystery" any longer - there has been more said about ZONE blocking on dumcoach than anywhere else in America!

Offline WBCoach

• Copper
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 08:26:11 PM »
That is correct, & it applies in EITHER "man" or "zone" blocking, because man can become zone, & zone can become man, ACCORDING to what the defense does.  They are intertwined!  SEE ATTACHMENT:

PS:  None of any of this need be a "mystery" any longer - there has been more said about ZONE blocking on dumcoach than anywhere else in America!
Bill this document is the only thing needed to teach me what I couldn't understand. This makes it make sense for me. Now all the other zone stuff is starting to make sense. Like when Neo started to figure out he is the one.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 10:48:47 PM »
Bill this document is the only thing needed to teach me what I couldn't understand. This makes it make sense for me. Now all the other zone stuff is starting to make sense. Like when Neo started to figure out he is the one.

Believe me, it really isn't that hard (it ain't "rocket-science")! If you are covered you step at your AIMING POINT on the man over.  If you are uncovered you step at about 45 degrees at the man covering your teammate to the playside.

Look back at my "REPLY #7".

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 11:02:26 PM »
I thought inside and outside were blocked the same??

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 11:15:23 PM »
I thought inside and outside were blocked the same??

The blocking RULES ("who") are the same on IZ AND OZ.  The TECHNIQUE ("how") is slightly different (tighter on IZ, & wider on OZ).  It's this way with everyone I know who runs zone plays!

SEE ATTACHMENTS = I know I have put these on here about 100 times!

ATTACHMENTS #1 & #2 = blocking steps on IZ.

Pages 10-13 of ATTACHMENT #3 = blocking steps on OZ.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:01:28 AM by billmountjoy »