Author Topic: Player Evaluation Process  (Read 5436 times)

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Other
Player Evaluation Process
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:28:23 AM »
Coaches,

I have gotten a few questions about this.  I have been updating this process over the last few years after studying all of my data from the POP teams.

I have added the HIT SCORE because it does measure a player's potential for force production...  I want to point out it measures potential...  If a kid doesn't bother to go to full speed just prior to contact there is no way he will ever maximize that hit score but it allows you to determine who can under best case hit with the most force.

I record all my data and actually review it at the beginning of the season, mid season, and end of season.  During pre-season after we do two to three weeks of preseason conditioning and I have fixed some common movement flaws and gotten the boys in a routine of conditioning and development I will then conduct an eval.  All evals are a measure of time so that all I have to do is add up the times and the kids with the lowest times are the most athletic and the kids with the highest scores are the least athletic. 

I am measuring three things.  LINEAR SPEED/QUICKNESS, LATERAL SPEED/QUICKNESS, and FUNCTIONAL/CORE/EXPLOSIVE STRENGTH. 

10 DASH is a measure of explosive quickness.  It is a great way to measure a linemen's potential for get off.
20 DASH is a measure of speed.  This is the primary linear speed test.
40 DASH is a measure of breakaway speed. 

QUICK 10 is a measure of lateral quickness and agility.  I like to use this as a measuring tool for my pull side linemen and I also look at this for our backs and the ability to cut.  This is a variation of the 2 step drill.

PRO 20 is a measure of lateral speed and agility. 

Dummy Flip 20 is a measure of explosive strength and it allows you to see if player can naturally LOAD/EXPLODE/GO and is naturally aggressive.

Bear Crawl 20 is a measure of agility, dexterity, core strength and functional strength.  I have found that kids that naturally bear crawl and can do it gracefully and quickly are often very good athletes. I have found a lot of diamonds in the rough by using this tool.

I take the sum of all these times and the kids with the lowest scores are the most athletic kids on the team.  I then break these scores into different events as well as you can see on the spread sheet.  I have used this for about 20 years or so in various forms and it has served me well in finding and developing athletic ability in our team.

Jack
Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Positions
Re: Player Evaluation Process
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 12:38:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing Jack. Could you explain exactly how you do the Quick 10 and Pro 20 drills.  I'm thinking Pro 20 is the 5x10x5 pro agility drill but not positive.
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 02:53:58 PM »
Fiz,

Yes the PRO20 is the pro agility.

Here is how the QUCK 10 works.

Jack

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:16:03 PM »
Thank you Jack. Great PowerPoint. Do you have them carrying a football when doing this drill?
David (Fizzlife)

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 11:00:44 PM »
Thank you Jack. Great PowerPoint. Do you have them carrying a football when doing this drill?

Nope.

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 06:32:48 AM »
David (Fizzlife)

Offline Coach Davis

• Bronze
  • Learn something new everyday!!!
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 05:40:30 PM »
Fiz,

Yes the PRO20 is the pro agility.

Here is how the QUCK 10 works.

Jack

Do you happen to have any video of this drill being run?
"ALWAYS LEARNING AND TRYING TO IMPROVE. SUCH IS THE LIFE OF A COACH!"

Offline gn0rt0n

• Copper
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 10:44:42 AM »

Dummy Flip 20 is a measure of explosive strength and it allows you to see if player can naturally LOAD/EXPLODE/GO and is naturally aggressive.

Out of curiosity, what type of Dummy are you using? I think I might use something like a tire for this because I can't think of any dummy I have seen that would work. I would think it needs a fair bit of weight, but may I am wrong. Would you use something like a full-round for younger kids? I understand that the results are all relative and as long as kids all use the same piece of equipment the results should be objective. I'm just trying to think of how to remove things like odd rolls/bouncing and what the weight load should be.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 12:09:39 PM »
Out of curiosity, what type of Dummy are you using? I think I might use something like a tire for this because I can't think of any dummy I have seen that would work. I would think it needs a fair bit of weight, but may I am wrong. Would you use something like a full-round for younger kids? I understand that the results are all relative and as long as kids all use the same piece of equipment the results should be objective. I'm just trying to think of how to remove things like odd rolls/bouncing and what the weight load should be.

ROUND DUMMIES...HAGER and a few others make heavy dummies.  THe ones I have are 40lbs..my 2nd graders love them :)

Jack