Author Topic: Keeping the Kids Motivated (Award sticker program)  (Read 7100 times)

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Other
Keeping the Kids Motivated (Award sticker program)
« on: May 27, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »
At Prince of Peace I had to deal with the DPL and some of the silliest rules I have every come across in football. One of those being you could not use helmet stickers...

Now that I am not coaching in the DPL any longer I am going back to using our AWARD SYSTEM.

This is weekly and done at the end of our first weekly practice.

We give out stickers for these items:

We have a specific sticker for MOST awards:

MVP:  Most Valuable Player (GAME - had the biggest impact in the entire game)
MVOL:  Most Valuable Offensive Linemen (GAME - had the biggest impact on the offensive line)
MVDL:  Most Valuable Defensive Linemen (GAME - had the biggest impact on the defensive line)
MCP:  Most Coachable Player:  This award is given to the kid that did the best job of listening and learning from the coaches.
MIP:  Most Improved Player:  This award is given to the kid that improved the most as a athlete, football player, and at his position from the start of practice that week to the end of the game.
MVT:  Most Valuable Team Mate:  (This award is given to the kid that does the best job of supporting his team mates with a positive attitude and pushing his team mates to work hard and improve).

It is rare but there are times I give out more than one sticker to a single kid...  It is rare but I am very honest with awards so if a kid deserves it he gets it.  With that said we want them to be competitive but for the right reasons so the above awards are selected to motitvate our kids the right way.  Obvioulsy we want to highlight a kid that has had a great performance in the game but I also want the ability to award an individual linemen on each side as well because it is easy to preach about how important the line is but when kids are getting awarded for it the same way the MVP does it actually means something.  MCP is a great award because it allows you to award a kid that might not be a great player but works his tail off for you and does all the blue collar stuff day in and day out.  MVI is one of my favorites as it is often award to the development kids that are pushing to get better (I love this award). MVT is another fun one for me because all to often we forget about those kids that are not great football players but do all the small things in practice and on game day to support their team.  I want to highlight these things so kids strive to do them.

We have a specific sticker for Practice Attendance, Practice Effort, Academic Acheivement (report cards) or if a kid receives a SCHOOL WIDE AWARD (not just a individual class room award).  We also give every player that is on the field that scores a TD on offense, a TD or TURNOVER on DEFENSE a sticker as well.

This allows us to give stickers to every kid on the team.  It is not just about being the best player on the team...  It is about effort and the desire to succeed and give it all to the team.

I also send out a email to the parents after each game when I have time to review the film a few times and my notes.  Let them know who did well, who didn't, what we need to work on.  I want my parents involved because I have found if they know what is going on they tend to leave me alone and work with their kids and not interupt me prior to or after practice when I am talking to my AC's.

Jack
Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Keeping the Kids Motivated (Award sticker program)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »
Jack

You know how I feel about Helemt Awards but I just wanted to say that I am looking forward to you coaching your son.

You have been quiet way too long.

Jack....is BACK !  ;D

Good luck this Season !
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:59:29 PM by mahonz »
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »
Is it assumed a lineman won't be the most valuable?
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:57:46 PM »
Is it assumed a lineman won't be the most valuable?

Yes they can but how often does a OLINEMEN get the praise for it...  Often if he has a great game the kid that scored four TD's and ran for 250 yards is getting the praise (and in most cases rightly so).  Which is why I put the caveat that I have and do give mulitiple stickers out...  Our Pulling Guard/NT one game got MVP and MVOL...  But I want to always be able to highlight our linemen.

Jack
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:00:18 PM by coachgregory »

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 02:06:15 PM »
Yes they can but how often does a OLINEMEN get the praise for it...  Often if he has a great game the kid that scored four TD's and ran for 250 yards is getting the praise (and in most cases rightly so).

Right, but in this case, you're the one doing the praising, at least as far as the stickers go.

If a back/receiver is almost always going to get MVP, I'd have awards for Most Valuable Back or Receiver (or ball guy or whatever you want to call it) and Most Valuable Offensive Lineman, and no overall MVP award.  Or have the overall MVP award but also have awards for Most Valuable Back or Receiver and for Most Valuable Offensive Lineman (so somebody would get two awards from that).

I wouldn't highlight the fact that a lineman is almost never going to be consider the most valuable, which is what having awards for MVP and MVOL maybe does.

Maybe a back will almost always be the most valuable, but assuming that going in is a little rough.   That's all I'm saying.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:19:15 PM »
Right, but in this case, you're the one doing the praising, at least as far as the stickers go.

If a back/receiver is almost always going to get MVP, I'd have awards for Most Valuable Back or Receiver (or ball guy or whatever you want to call it) and Most Valuable Offensive Lineman, and no overall MVP award.  Or have the overall MVP award but also have awards for Most Valuable Back or Receiver and for Most Valuable Offensive Lineman (so somebody would get two awards from that).

I wouldn't highlight the fact that a lineman is almost never going to be consider the most valuable, which is what having awards for MVP and MVOL maybe does.

Maybe a back will almost always be the most valuable, but assuming that going in is a little rough.   That's all I'm saying.

I don't agree and I never implied that...  I think we place an emphasis on the linemen...If I was to give out awards to the backs and receivers as well it would than place less emphasis on the linemen in my opinion.  At the end of the day I want all the kids to know they are important...   The MVP is not for a receiver or back it is for the kid that impacted the entire game...special teams, defense, offense...he played a major role in impacting the game.  The only time I  have not done this was at DPL and we have never had an issue with it because we place a big emphasis on our linemen...  I often spend a good amount of my time coaching them and in games I spend a good deal of time talking to them.  So those kids know how important they are and the awards simply highlight that.  I know you see it as a negative but I see it has a positive that the only positions specifically awarded are linemen...  It means to those kids if they play line they have a good chance of getting an award and for kids that can be important to them and it allow us to work on their emotional tank/effort.

Jack

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »
I don't agree and I never implied that...  I think we place an emphasis on the linemen...If I was to give out awards to the backs and receivers as well it would than place less emphasis on the linemen in my opinion.  At the end of the day I want all the kids to know they are important...   The MVP is not for a receiver or back it is for the kid that impacted the entire game...special teams, defense, offense...he played a major role in impacting the game.  The only time I  have not done this was at DPL and we have never had an issue with it because we place a big emphasis on our linemen...  I often spend a good amount of my time coaching them and in games I spend a good deal of time talking to them.  So those kids know how important they are and the awards simply highlight that.  I know you see it as a negative but I see it has a positive that the only positions specifically awarded are linemen...  It means to those kids if they play line they have a good chance of getting an award and for kids that can be important to them and it allow us to work on their emotional tank/effort.

Jack

I'm definitely not ripping it.   I'm just throwing out how it looks to me, from the outside, without ever having seen it in practice.  I'm sure the way it actually works out for you is a major positive.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 02:31:55 PM »
I'm definitely not ripping it.   I'm just throwing out how it looks to me, from the outside, without ever having seen it in practice.  I'm sure the way it actually works out for you is a major positive.

That is fine Michael. It is always good to get a different perspective...  On a thread it is not easy to explain things so someone else might have been thinking the same thing and I got a chance to clarify... :)

Jack
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:42:37 PM by coachgregory »

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 02:34:27 PM »
That if fine Michael. It is always good to get a different perspective...  On a thread it is not easy to explain things so someone else might have been thinking the same thing and I got a chance to clarify... :)

Jack

I'm on the Alex Gibbs plan:

When Coach Mike Shanahan awarded a game ball to tackle Gary Zimmerman, the offensive linemen met in disgust and fined Shanahan $310 for trying to suck up to Zimmerman and then fined Zimmerman $1,000 for being singled out.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/jan/17/sports/sp-9293

We're already the most important unit on the team, and the toughest guys on the team, and we have the coolest practices.   Rubbing it in to a bunch of dorks who spend all day standing in hand-off lines and getting yelled at would just be cruel.

Offline pogmaster3

• Copper
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 09:20:51 PM »
I'm on the Alex Gibbs plan:

When Coach Mike Shanahan awarded a game ball to tackle Gary Zimmerman, the offensive linemen met in disgust and fined Shanahan $310 for trying to suck up to Zimmerman and then fined Zimmerman $1,000 for being singled out.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/jan/17/sports/sp-9293

We're already the most important unit on the team, and the toughest guys on the team, and we have the coolest practices.   Rubbing it in to a bunch of dorks who spend all day standing in hand-off lines and getting yelled at would just be cruel.

:D Amazing
“It is all too common for caterpillars to become butterflies and then to maintain that in their youth they had been little butterflies. Maturation makes liars of us all.” ― George Vaillant

Offline HCScott

• Copper
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 12:30:09 AM »
At Prince of Peace I had to deal with the DPL and some of the silliest rules I have every come across in football. One of those being you could not use helmet stickers...

Now that I am not coaching in the DPL any longer I am going back to using our AWARD SYSTEM.

This is weekly and done at the end of our first weekly practice.

We give out stickers for these items:

We have a specific sticker for MOST awards:

MVP:  Most Valuable Player (GAME - had the biggest impact in the entire game)
MVOL:  Most Valuable Offensive Linemen (GAME - had the biggest impact on the offensive line)
MVDL:  Most Valuable Defensive Linemen (GAME - had the biggest impact on the defensive line)
MCP:  Most Coachable Player:  This award is given to the kid that did the best job of listening and learning from the coaches.
MIP:  Most Improved Player:  This award is given to the kid that improved the most as a athlete, football player, and at his position from the start of practice that week to the end of the game.
MVT:  Most Valuable Team Mate:  (This award is given to the kid that does the best job of supporting his team mates with a positive attitude and pushing his team mates to work hard and improve).

It is rare but there are times I give out more than one sticker to a single kid...  It is rare but I am very honest with awards so if a kid deserves it he gets it.  With that said we want them to be competitive but for the right reasons so the above awards are selected to motitvate our kids the right way.  Obvioulsy we want to highlight a kid that has had a great performance in the game but I also want the ability to award an individual linemen on each side as well because it is easy to preach about how important the line is but when kids are getting awarded for it the same way the MVP does it actually means something.  MCP is a great award because it allows you to award a kid that might not be a great player but works his tail off for you and does all the blue collar stuff day in and day out.  MVI is one of my favorites as it is often award to the development kids that are pushing to get better (I love this award). MVT is another fun one for me because all to often we forget about those kids that are not great football players but do all the small things in practice and on game day to support their team.  I want to highlight these things so kids strive to do them.

We have a specific sticker for Practice Attendance, Practice Effort, Academic Acheivement (report cards) or if a kid receives a SCHOOL WIDE AWARD (not just a individual class room award).  We also give every player that is on the field that scores a TD on offense, a TD or TURNOVER on DEFENSE a sticker as well.

This allows us to give stickers to every kid on the team.  It is not just about being the best player on the team...  It is about effort and the desire to succeed and give it all to the team.

I also send out a email to the parents after each game when I have time to review the film a few times and my notes.  Let them know who did well, who didn't, what we need to work on.  I want my parents involved because I have found if they know what is going on they tend to leave me alone and work with their kids and not interupt me prior to or after practice when I am talking to my AC's.

Jack

I did this for a few years but I felt it wasn't worth the practice time.

A funny story... while I was out of town working last year I was going to coach a team in Hayward Ca. Went to their mandatory clinic and they had a rule for everything under the sun. They said helmet stickers were ok EXCEPT for skull and cross bones! My wife leaned over to me and said "this might not be a good league for you". LOL !!
"The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard"

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Offense: Undecided
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »
It is amazing what kids will do for stickers.  I have 17 year olds clawing to get stickers.  One year I wanted hammer stickers for the linemen for pancake blocks...  Well, they sent me HITMAN stickers instead.  Well, I ended up telling them that there would be one hitman sticker given out each week.  The hitman sticker would go to the player who played the hardest and practiced the hardest; the player who destroyed everything in there path.  We had some incredibly intense practices.  With me having a hundred or so of these stickers in the basement, they are coming out of retirement.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 10:49:57 PM »
A couple of years ago with the little dudes, I'd give a helmet strip to the O-Lineman who I thought had had the best practice.

It was duct tape with flames on it.

http://www.consumercrafts.com/store/details/catalog/kids-camp-vacation-bible-duck-washi-tape/HC-1407669?CAWELAID=120132600000011455&gclid=CjkKEQjw5e-cBRDysazatpTm5b8BEiQAWxTHh-CLFlPnQoIZbHJZjNLUFQO5f4zfPG2uH58DNrFwRTnw_wcB

If the defending champion won again, we'd just announce it at the end of practice, and that would be that.

If someone else won, we'd take the stripe off the previous winner and put a new one on the new winner.

So on every drill the next practice, whoever was facing the defending champion would be looking at that stripe right before the snap, knowing he wanted it.

And we just rolled games into the process, too.   Winner from the last practice of the week wore it in the game.   Our choice for best O-Lineman of the game wore it for the first practice of the week.

The kids went absolutely insane for it.   We had a little non-starter type dude win it once before a game.   In the game he had eight pancakes.   Afterward, he said, "I wanted to keep the stripe."

When we got together at the end of practice, it was always, "Who gets the stripe?   Who gets the stripe?"

I hate individual awards, so I only did it that one year, but it was pretty sweet, unless you were a kid who thinks he got ripped off all the time, I guess.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 10:57:20 PM »
The one year I was a head coach for little dudes, I bought three black mesh practice jerseys and in the post-game talk I'd give them to (whoever I thought was) the top O-Lineman in the game, the top D-Lineman in the game, and the top LB/DB in the game, and they'd wear them in practice the following week.  They'd hand them in after the last practice of the week, I'd wash them (the jerseys, not the kids), and then we'd repeat the process.  The offensive backs could win them, but they'd have to win them on defense.

I never said why there wasn't one for offensive backs.   I just announced what we were doing and how you could win one.