Author Topic: Defending the UBSW Offense  (Read 158366 times)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Defending the UBSW Offense
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »
DC

Most of the UBSW, probably aren't your version,or only a simple version.

Joe

Played a team whose Coach played for and graduated from Akron HS in Co....they won some State Championships running the SW. That team was a handful. We played in a different League but drew them 3 years in a row in a local post Season tourney. Best spinners I have ever seen in person. Made me dizzy.

Dave's version is unique in that it is designed for the masses. If you played Dave's Team and then played one of his Minions the next week it would be night and day.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »

The real question is how do you defend it. In the coaches office we always ask, if we were playing us what would we do? So the question becomes what do you do when you play UBSW?

Joe

There was a Thread on Hueys about this. Everyone said run what you run and do what you do and the OP kept exclaiming that is what he has been doing and it isn't getting it done.

So I PM'd him and sent him my SW Killer and told him who I was so just dont ever tell anyone where you got it or they will fire you.

We had a wonderful back and forth and told me that there are so few HS Programs out there that actually face it that they really shouldn't be giving any advise.  He will teach his 425 kids the SW Killer. Its a no brainer to him. Loves the Cousins idea which is the secrete sauce to the entire plan.

There are certain situations that call for some thinking outside of the box....defending the UBSW is one of those situations.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »
Joe

I wouldn't put together and special defense
We would run what we run with a few basic small adjustments- Those are already in the adjustments part of our defensive playbook

Dave

I have a question...have you ever had to defend a full blown well oiled UBSW for an entire game? I would think you would certainly know whats up but do you think your kids would?

My kids end up defending the pass pretty well over time because we like to pass so I was curious. Could SW kids defend the SW? 

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
    • Winning Youth Football Coaching Site
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 02:04:23 PM »
Dave

I have to wonder how they feel now. They went backwards in the W/L column and for them it is all about winning.
In the end- winning matters. It either validates that what you are doing makes sense or not

When you let others influence a decision- especially parents who know nothing about the game, programs usually fail

Watch how Pt St Lucie folds like a cheap tent once Jeff/Rob and their approach/schemes go with them
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:06:21 PM by davecisar »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.

Winston Churchill

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »
In the end- winning matters

When you let others influence a decision- especially parents who know nothing about the game, programs usually fail

Watch how Pt St Lucie folds like a cheap tent once Jeff/Rob and their approach/schemes go with them

Dave

I will be following Rob's path this Season for sure.

Hey...what time is your Radio Interview today? It never gave a time?....I had to poke fun at whomever wrote your into too....I was expecting you to come down out of the rafters in your electric Elvis suit at any moment.  :P

I'd like to listen in.

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 02:11:44 PM »
Dave

I have a question...have you ever had to defend a full blown well oiled UBSW for an entire game? I would think you would certainly know whats up but do you think your kids would?

My kids end up defending the pass pretty well over time because we like to pass so I was curious. Could SW kids defend the SW?

Mike

As I stated earlier in the thread

When I coached in Omaha, all 16 of our teams ran it
So at the "B" level some of our teams played each other

Also when I moved here- we went back and played the Omaha teams the first 5-6 years- both their select "A" teams and B
By then they had strayed some and went from when I left winning a combined 80+% to about .500
My teams IIRC were 7-0 against them

My little rich kids from down here mercy ruled their "A" team in my second year here- they chose from over 100 kids. They were shocked to say the least, (so were our parents) I think that team had lost just 1 game in 3 years

They only ran the basics and rarely got to the adjustments or more advanced playbook
IT ISNT ABOUT THE SCHEME- we were better fundamentally and execution wise due to how we practiced

Winston Churchill

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 02:18:41 PM »

Mike

As I stated earlier in the thread

When I coached in Omaha, all 16 of our teams ran it
So at the "B" level some of our teams played each other

Also when I moved here- we went back and played the Omaha teams the first 5-6 years- both their select "A" teams and B
By then they had strayed some and went from when I left winning a combined 80+% to about .500
My teams IIRC were 7-0 against them

My little rich kids from down here mercy ruled their "A" team in my second year here- they chose from over 100 kids. They were shocked to say the least, (so were our parents) I think that team had lost just 1 game in 3 years

They only ran the basics and rarely got to the adjustments or more advanced playbook
IT ISNT ABOUT THE SCHEME- we were better fundamentally and execution wise due to how we practiced

Ah

I was just curious. I cant keep up with the history sometimes.

It would make sense that a SW Coach would defend the SW well....Wing T defends Wing T well and so on but I have to wonder if the kids will dial in. 

Now if someone can teach me how to defend triple option out of the I....Im golden. That is another deal that is abnormal to the youth circuits. We gave it a go last year....we couldn't maintain.

Actually Quadruple Option.

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 02:27:26 PM »
Dave

Mike,
   We have. In 2008 we played Dan Schlager's Jupiter Mustang team. Dan went on to win a Pop Warner national championship with some of that team in 2011. We made it to nationals that year losing to Union Road NC in one heck of a game. We slowed him down some but not entirely. We ran Dave's sw as base with some wing t mixed in. That game was one heck of a chess match. Neither defense was as dominant as they had been earlier nor were the offenses. It was awhile ago but I think I have it on video somewhere. I might go back and watch it to refresh what both teams did. The issue with the other team knowing your offense that well is that they make sure that they don't over adjust to things so the compliment plays don't burn them. Surprisingly 16 power was our best play from what I remember. They were afraid of what we would do if they sold out to stop 16 so we were getting good gains. Our 1 back was very good and could turn 6 yard gain into a 40 yarder if you didn't bring him down with a clean tackle. Kid ran like Mike Alstott.

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »
Joe

Played a team whose Coach played for and graduated from Akron HS in Co....they won some State Championships running the SW. That team was a handful. We played in a different League but drew them 3 years in a row in a local post Season tourney. Best spinners I have ever seen in person. Made me dizzy.

Dave's version is unique in that it is designed for the masses. If you played Dave's Team and then played one of his Minions the next week it would be night and day.

Totally untrue, 100% false

100% of what we do is in our materials- all of it

Some guys choose not to go beyond the basic playbook

I tell guys what to do and what not to do, it's up to them to follow the instructions or not

The film you have posted isn't my offense at all- 11 plays
5 of them looked like plays of mine
6 definitely weren't- not in my playbook- never have been
2 of the formations weve never run

Even the base 5 plays including the spinner- lots of mistakes

If they have my materials or follow my newsletters- they would have known how to defeat that defense
Nothing we haven't seen before, very simple stunt

BTW we quit running that Burst formation thing in about 2010- so they must have a really old playbook

I can go through each play if you like

All of my local teams run this correctly- 100% the way it is in the books
Same goes for most of the teams I clinic
Anyone that has heard me clinic- knows and has seen pretty much the whole offense- those that haven't, its all in the 303 Materials

BTW year 1 we didn't run everything either
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:43:55 PM by davecisar »

Winston Churchill

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 02:33:42 PM »
In the end- winning matters. It either validates that what you are doing makes sense or not

Dave,
   There is one very good coaching staff still at PSL. He runs the sw well. The header and 2 others were on our staff in 2011. Another up and coming coach is  running the sw as well. I think he could end up being a very good coach. His team is very young this year so I don't know how competitive they will be. I think PSL will be around but they will not be the power they were. It will just get worse as another league formed in PSL. They will end up taking a bunch of kids as it is an unlimited travel league. Numbers are down and for the first time ever it looks like PSL might not have a midget team.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »

Not everyone running the SW is running my version of it- this film has a bunch of stuff we don't do and is missing a bunch of key stuff we do use
The deal with my system is it ISNT just a playbook. It cant be got off of looking at some youtube videos or rummaging through an old playbook
The reason we win about 90% of our games has to do with our practice methodology, team management, team chemistry/motivation approach, blocking, game management, defense, special teams etc etc

Dave

Actually that team in that film runs your O and your D and follows your philosophies right out of the Book. His words...not mine. Their entire Org runs your O and your D right out of the book. Maybe 10 teams?

Gumby...who ran your O right out of the Book that same Season was on our sidelines calling their plays as they were happening.  :) the only thing they didn't do was go no huddle. They weren't quite ready for it. His words...not mine.

You emailed me about them a few years ago when handing out your End of Year Awards. You were asking about our Honor and Integrity Program. That was them.

They won their Championship last Season. Very good Team...very well coached.

They all came into our League as a struggling PW Program....hooked up with you....and the rest is history. So...no need to pooh pooh one of your own success stories.  ::)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »

Some guys choose not to go beyond the basic playbook

Dave

That is what I meant. Your design is as familiar as the back of your own hand....others may need time to progress.

So....Relax !

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 02:42:30 PM »
Mike,
   We have. In 2008 we played Dan Schlager's Jupiter Mustang team. Dan went on to win a Pop Warner national championship with some of that team in 2011. We made it to nationals that year losing to Union Road NC in one heck of a game. We slowed him down some but not entirely. We ran Dave's sw as base with some wing t mixed in. That game was one heck of a chess match. Neither defense was as dominant as they had been earlier nor were the offenses. It was awhile ago but I think I have it on video somewhere. I might go back and watch it to refresh what both teams did. The issue with the other team knowing your offense that well is that they make sure that they don't over adjust to things so the compliment plays don't burn them. Surprisingly 16 power was our best play from what I remember. They were afraid of what we would do if they sold out to stop 16 so we were getting good gains. Our 1 back was very good and could turn 6 yard gain into a 40 yarder if you didn't bring him down with a clean tackle. Kid ran like Mike Alstott.

R

That had to have been a blast....what did your kids think about defending...themselves?  :)

I mentioned in this Thread I watch two crazy good DW Teams play each other in a Championship Game many years ago. It was highly entertaining....the final was like 27-26. It was NOT a defensive battle. 5th graders if I remember right?

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 02:49:13 PM »
Dave

Actually that team in that film runs your O and your D and follows your philosophies right out of the Book. His words...not mine. Their entire Org runs your O and your D right out of the book. Maybe 10 teams?

Gumby...who ran your O right out of the Book that same Season was on our sidelines calling their plays as they were happening.  :) the only thing they didn't do was go no huddle. They weren't quite ready for it. His words...not mine.

You emailed me about them a few years ago when handing out your End of Year Awards. You were asking about our Honor and Integrity Program. That was them.

They won their Championship last Season. Very good Team...very well coached.

They all came into our League as a struggling PW Program....hooked up with you....and the rest is history. So...no need to pooh pooh one of your own success stories.  ::)

Mike

Some of that may be true

However I KNOW my playbook inside and out

I saw 11 plays
6 of them were not out of my playbook- never ran anything like that- NOT even close or an adjustment
I can go through them 1 by 1 when I have time- I will in the next day or so

If they choose to vary from the playbook or not add things in the order it says, that's on them
Have no clue what the plays were they were running from our old burst formation- that we canned 3-4 years ago
We still run Burst, but not out of that- and they never ran a Burst Series play
The pass they ran, no clue- never in our playbook
That twins formation- never in anything we ran

Winston Churchill

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 02:51:12 PM »
Joe

Ive seen plenty of teams running my stuff the proper way at the Pop Warner and AYF National Championships
Instead of 8-2, they can go 16-0  ;D by going the full Monty

Winston Churchill