Author Topic: Defending the UBSW Offense  (Read 158367 times)

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
    • Winning Youth Football Coaching Site
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Single Wing
Re: Defending the UBSW Offense
« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »
Dave

Covering the TE with an OLB from depth is tough to teach...takes lots of drilling especially for the little dudes. They didn't play a traditional BB so we didn't worry about it. ILB's would have first back out responsibilities....in this case MIKE or the Double MIKE's. We also can go into full blown 46 mode which kills the taps and posts up the TE's with those OLB. We felt that would be too aggressive vs this team and since they didn't pass well....not necessary.

When I ran the UBSW my favorite passing plays were to the BB. He is absolutely invisible to the defense. I cant remember ONE TIME where he was covered.

We trap the DT with the BB- like I said in the original post- instead of kicking the DE- we kick the DT- no biggie
Its a very simple stunt- that we saw in JJ Lawsons defense and blocked that way
The PT blocks closest 2nd level defender- the guy stacked over the PT coming to the inside- The Y- RTE blocks near backer SAM which is your OLB
Very simple play

This is a good plan. Is this in any of your materials? This sounds like a tag too me that has to be called or is it an automatic vs taps?  Taps vs any Offense is a handful. How did you handle full taps with 3 DLM and 3 LB'rs coming at once? The BB cant pick them all up or did you just focus on the POA?

Thanks for the feedback.

Of course it is right in the playbook- the play is called 14 Power
No tag- that is how the play was drawn up and that how it appears in the playbook

As I stated in this very thread and others here on the forum for the last several years- we added it back when JJ Lawson came out with his defense what 6-7-8 years ago?
Its a very common stack stunt- we have in our defensive playbook as well
We have others that address that issue as well
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.

Winston Churchill

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2014, 05:53:32 PM »

How did you handle full taps with 3 DLM and 3 LB'rs coming at once? The BB cant pick them all up or did you just focus on the POA?

Thanks for the feedback.

In the end- with full taps- we ran our base stuff - we didn't pull- no one for him to block if he got there
It didn't matter- by definition there would be a player in the inside gap of every player on our Oline- so the base GOD rule worked just fine but instead of applying the O- every player blocked to his inside gap and all 6 were blocked. We do this during our GOD fits, really simple stuff.

Personally I like playing against all types of different defenses, playing against the same style every week would bore me to death

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:59:35 PM by davecisar »

Winston Churchill

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »
Dave

Covering the TE with an OLB from depth is tough to teach...takes lots of drilling especially for the little dudes. They didn't play a traditional BB so we didn't worry about it. ILB's would have first back out responsibilities....in this case MIKE or the Double MIKE's. We also can go into full blown 46 mode which kills the taps and posts up the TE's with those OLB. We felt that would be too aggressive vs this team and since they didn't pass well....not necessary.

When I ran the UBSW my favorite passing plays were to the BB. He is absolutely invisible to the defense. I cant remember ONE TIME where he was covered.

[i

Mike

YEs, that is tough and lots of GAM style teams really struggle with the JUmp pass, it looks just like the power, the QB is running downhill right at the OLB and he's going to bail? Not so much on grass

IMO the jump pass is a great constraint play to keep the LBs sitting- not attacking
If they attack we throw it
It is our base read for our complimentary play coach on every power play
Especially effective when you add in 14 Power or a Level call to the 16 or run 14 Trap- which again is a play in the playbook- has been for at least 5 years

Winston Churchill

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2014, 06:13:51 PM »
Of course it is right in the playbook- the play is called 14 Power
No tag- that is how the play was drawn up and that how it appears in the playbook

As I stated in this very thread and others here on the forum for the last several years- we added it back when JJ Lawson came out with his defense what 6-7-8 years ago?
Its a very common stack stunt- we have in our defensive playbook as well
We have others that address that issue as well

Dave

Are you holdin' out on us?  :P

Someone must have ripped some pages out of my WYF Book.  >:(

Mine is Copywrite 2009 Cisar Management All Right Reserved. Im not sure if reprint annually.

I dont have a single "14" anything ! No base, no Mouse, no Burst, no Spinner, no Rocket....the closet I see is lazer larry 12 trap. Great looking play BTW.

Looks like I need to update my Cisar Stuff.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Luc

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »
Mine is Copywrite 2009 Cisar Management All Right Reserved. Im not sure if reprint annually.

I dont have a single "14" anything ! No base, no Mouse, no Burst, no Spinner, no Rocket....the closet I see is lazer larry 12 trap. Great looking play BTW.
Mine is Copywrite 2011 (bought in 2012) and has nothing regarding 14.

It is the ebook edition.

Sure is an interesting play

Luc
To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2014, 06:46:15 PM »
Dave

Single Wing 303 was released in 2009 or 2010

Its been there from the very beginning

The base book is updated every year when you offense, defense, special teams, game management, team management, teaching methodology, evals, motivating players and all the position stuff- you CANT put it all in one book- NO ONE wants a 600 page book- mine is about 300 pages- it cant get any bigger

LOTS of what you have in your book is no more and we added stuff that was more important in every area.
We also had an author edit it- yours isn't  professionally edited IIRC

Every year we learn more and make small adjustments

Ive spoken about the play at every clinic Ive done since about 2010

Winston Churchill

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2014, 06:49:18 PM »
Dave

The 303 materials have always had the following 14 plays:
14 Power
14 Trap
Buck 14 Trap

The only thing I know that is missing that I like is some of our Iso game nuances- I need 1 more season to verify it. RIght now Ive only personally run it at the 3-4 grade levels the last 2 years- implementing it at all levels this year.

Here is the description right from the web site:
http://winningyouthfootball.com/singlewing303.php

Implementing the Single Wing Offense: 303 - DVD and Instant PDF Download
 Product Code – SW303DVD
$49.95

order now   

DVD Run Time nearly 90 minutes includes 219 page CDROM book (Instant PDF Download). The Advanced Single Wing Implementation DVD and CDROM is NOT meant for the first year Single Wing coach. This DVD has plays, adjustments and game planning information never before shared. Includes nuances on many base plays as well as the Jet, Burst and Spread Single Wing plays. The 219 page addendum gets everyone caught up to where we are today as well as offers pictures, diagrams and text on concepts like Special, Super Series, Buck Series, Omaha, Smoke Pass Series, Cross Pass Series, Air Raid Package, 14 Trap, 14 Power, 24 Iso, Flash Series, 16 Pass Nuances, 18 Pass Nuances, how to attack specific defenses, play calling, keys for every play, and much more. You also get a tutorial on how to you’re your team better using film and Hudl. Includes all primary keys and complimentary play keys for each and every play we run. Great new footage to help keep you one step ahead of your competition.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:59:43 PM by davecisar »

Winston Churchill

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »
Dave

OK...Makes sense. An intro and the advanced version.

Does the 303 include the base stuff as well or is it a stand alone playbook?
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline HCScott

• Copper
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2014, 08:43:32 PM »
If you want to "punish the defense" try the POWER-I!  Without having to pull people, & without intricate ball-handling (& direct snaps with a wet ball) = it would go WELL in 35 degrees & pouring rain!

Watch Michigan St play.  They play in a similar environment & have NOT run a UBSW in 60 years!  They run a Power running game from a One-Back like ours!  There are High Schools in Washington (Craig Beverlin, etc) & Oregon (Wayne Riner) using this style offense WELL.

PS:  I have always thought the impact of weather on the STYLE offense you run was over-rated (like Lombardi said = it is a "MENTAL" thing)!  I'm old enough to remember the Packers beating the Cowboys in the "Ice Bowl", & the Patriots beating the Raiders in the "Snow Bowl".  It snows here in Va sometimes in Oct & Nov, too!

Bill, You gave me examples of college, Pro and HS. I'm a youth coach, now responsible for 15 and lower. I ran the "I" and pro set for years and won most of our games, however, we had trouble losing 3 straight championship games because we didn't score enough points. 24-14, 24-16 and 12-6 in 3 OT. The bullies pushed us around in the big games.

I was intrigued by a few things with the SW.
#1 The indirect snap was a problem in the freezing rain because my QB put the ball on the ground several times, in a triple OT loss that we dominated other then 3 or 4 plays. Even though we didn't turn it over , we were in long yardage.
Dave said we'd eliminate that issue AND I wouldn't spend so much time training my QBs and centers in snap drills. He proved to be correct. Not to say we don't have a bad snap early in the season once in a great while but at the end it is less then rare. Also very few hand offs, no miscues on handoffs in the two years since we changed and not a lot of practice time in hand off drill.
2012 we had only 3 fumbles lost in 12 games all on hard hits on the ball.

#2 Everybody sees the I & pro set most of the year in one way or another and every player and coach knows what is coming for the most part. I cracked and pulled and mixed it up but let's face it, the FB and TB are right there for everyone to see. My wing back was my most explosive player.
I liked the fact that no one here runs the SW and it is unusual.
Dave said that would be an issue for my opponents and that teams would spend too much time trying to figure it out, trying to prepare their teams in practice AND talking about my team and what we do too much. Dave was right, the big shots that won 9 championships, told me after we beat them 22-0 that he wanted to take his team off the field just to watch us execute, watched the film 3 times and thought it was a thing of beauty, actually said we looked like the Harlem Globetrotters.   

#3 The idea that we could compete with less then the best players! I always said "good players make the coach look good and bad players make the coach look crappy" and I recruited like crazy to get the best players possible. The fact was I couldn't always get the best players. I'm in a small suburban area and most of our opponents are from the inner city, size, speed and strength is always a problem. If you saw us at the jamboree you'd feel sorry for us.
Dave said we'd be competitive even without the biggest, most athletic players. He was correct again. 2012 we had average speed and middle of the road size. We had only 9 real players. Our only legit loss, 42-36, which we led nearly the entire way was to a team that finished 4th in the Nation in 6th grade unlimited weight and had an DL/OL avg. 225 and 6' and 4 RB's that were the City champs in the 4x100 relay.

#4 I was told to have an open mind. I had no reason to change my team and was 18-4 the two years prior. My Coordinators wanted to know if I had bumped my head. They said,"you want to run some internet guy's offense?!"
However, I was in such total agreement on so many other facets of what I had read in Dave's book that I thought what the heck, I'll give it a try in summer camp and see what happens.
Dave was right again, we went 13-1 won our championship game 32-6, the TD allowed vs our 3rd team defense late in the 4th. We went to the Gridiron Classic and played a team for the championship there that had not lost in 2 years and throttled them 48-13.

It is because of the results and the fact that I can give my assistants a written system to follow that makes us better then we'd normally be. It isn't just the offense, that's true but it is very difficult to stop when played well.
"The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard"

Offline HCScott

• Copper
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »
Mine is Copywrite 2011 (bought in 2012) and has nothing regarding 14.

It is the ebook edition.

Sure is an interesting play

Luc

If you are not running Buck 14 trap, Buck 23 power and 24 ISO then get the info and take a look these plays. They work ! Especially if you are like me and love to grind a team into pulp.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2014, 09:22:38 PM »
Bill, You gave me examples of college, Pro and HS. I'm a youth coach, now responsible for 15 and lower. I ran the "I" and pro set for years and won most of our games, however, we had trouble losing 3 straight championship games because we didn't score enough points. 24-14, 24-16 and 12-6 in 3 OT. The bullies pushed us around in the big games.

I was intrigued by a few things with the SW.
#1 The indirect snap was a problem in the freezing rain because my QB put the ball on the ground several times, in a triple OT loss that we dominated other then 3 or 4 plays. Even though we didn't turn it over , we were in long yardage.
Dave said we'd eliminate that issue AND I wouldn't spend so much time training my QBs and centers in snap drills. He proved to be correct. Not to say we don't have a bad snap early in the season once in a great while but at the end it is less then rare. Also very few hand offs, no miscues on handoffs in the two years since we changed and not a lot of practice time in hand off drill.
2012 we had only 3 fumbles lost in 12 games all on hard hits on the ball.

#2 Everybody sees the I & pro set most of the year in one way or another and every player and coach knows what is coming for the most part. I cracked and pulled and mixed it up but let's face it, the FB and TB are right there for everyone to see. My wing back was my most explosive player.
I liked the fact that no one here runs the SW and it is unusual.
Dave said that would be an issue for my opponents and that teams would spend too much time trying to figure it out, trying to prepare their teams in practice AND talking about my team and what we do too much. Dave was right, the big shots that won 9 championships, told me after we beat them 22-0 that he wanted to take his team off the field just to watch us execute, watched the film 3 times and thought it was a thing of beauty, actually said we looked like the Harlem Globetrotters.   

#3 The idea that we could compete with less then the best players! I always said "good players make the coach look good and bad players make the coach look crappy" and I recruited like crazy to get the best players possible. The fact was I couldn't always get the best players. I'm in a small suburban area and most of our opponents are from the inner city, size, speed and strength is always a problem. If you saw us at the jamboree you'd feel sorry for us.
Dave said we'd be competitive even without the biggest, most athletic players. He was correct again. 2012 we had average speed and middle of the road size. We had only 9 real players. Our only legit loss, 42-36, which we led nearly the entire way was to a team that finished 4th in the Nation in 6th grade unlimited weight and had an DL/OL avg. 225 and 6' and 4 RB's that were the City champs in the 4x100 relay.

#4 I was told to have an open mind. I had no reason to change my team and was 18-4 the two years prior. My Coordinators wanted to know if I had bumped my head. They said,"you want to run some internet guy's offense?!"
However, I was in such total agreement on so many other facets of what I had read in Dave's book that I thought what the heck, I'll give it a try in summer camp and see what happens.
Dave was right again, we went 13-1 won our championship game 32-6, the TD allowed vs our 3rd team defense late in the 4th. We went to the Gridiron Classic and played a team for the championship there that had not lost in 2 years and throttled them 48-13.

It is because of the results and the fact that I can give my assistants a written system to follow that makes us better then we'd normally be. It isn't just the offense, that's true but it is very difficult to stop when played well.

Hell, coach HCScott - I coached Youth Football TOO!  ATTACHED is a PHOTO of my 6th grade team - called the "B Team" (10 year olds mostly), AND,  7th grade team - called the "A Team" (11 year olds mostly).  That's me sitting on the top row behind the "A-Team".  Just little-ole farts!

PS:  Used the same defenses the year before with 8 & 9 year old team.  OK?  These WERE NOT HS, College or Pro players!

Using the Wide Tackle-6 & Overshifted-6 = both teams in photo were undefeated, and UNSCORED UPON (back then we saw a LOT of UBSW & they ain't scored yet)!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:39:44 PM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline HCScott

• Copper
« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2014, 09:40:30 PM »

Hell, coach HCScott - I coached Youth Football TOO!  Attached is a photo of my 6th grade team - called the "B Team" (10 year olds mostly), & 7th grade team - called the "A Team" (11 year olds mostly).  That's me sitting on the top row behind the "A-Team".  Just little-ole farts!

PS:  Used the same defenses the year before with 8 & 9 year old team.  OK?

Using the Wide Tackle-6 & Overshifted-6 = both teams in photo were undefeated, and UNSCORED UPON (back then we saw a LOT of UBSW & they ain't scored yet)!

Bill, i've been reading and printing all I can on your instructions concerning the wide tackle 6 & over shifted along with your advice and info concerning the one back offense. Great stuff I am learning a lot. I have no doubt your teams are very well drilled and disciplined to stop any offense. Nevertheless, you can only do so much, with a limited number of teams and lucky for me you are all the way across the country.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2014, 09:42:25 PM »
Bill, i've been reading and printing all I can on your instructions concerning the wide tackle 6 & over shifted along with your advice and info concerning the one back offense. Great stuff I am learning a lot. I have no doubt your teams are very well drilled and disciplined to stop any offense. Nevertheless, you can only do so much, with a limited number of teams and lucky for me you are all the way across the country.

Not quite sure what you mean by a "limited number of teams"?

PS:  There have been 177 posts on this topic.  All one has to do is to look back at the defenses that the greatest defensive minds of the 20th century used to drive the UBSW into oblivion after WWII (BEGINNING in 1945).  These men were:  Bob Neyland, Bud Wilkinson, & "Bear" Bryant.  They ALL used the Wide Tackle-6 & Overshifted-6 (as originated by Neyland).  Disciples of Neyland (Tennessee) & Bryant (Bama) coached all OVER Virginia (in youth ball, as well as high school).  Do a little research on these 3 great coaches (Wilkinson & Bryant wrote BOOKS on the subject, & a book is also now out about Neyland's methods).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:51:54 PM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline HCScott

• Copper
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2014, 09:51:19 PM »
[/quote

I hope you aren't showing up in Portland OR to show one of my rivals how to stop our offense. They have no clue and think I'm some sort of genius!

BTW, do you know of an 8u team in Richmond Va that won the AAU National Championship? I have a friend who is a coach and son on that team.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2014, 09:52:49 PM »
[/quote

I hope you aren't showing up in Portland OR to show one of my rivals how to stop our offense. They have no clue and think I'm some sort of genius!

BTW, do you know of an 8u team in Richmond Va that won the AAU National Championship? I have a friend who is a coach and son on that team.

What is the name of the team, & the coach?