Author Topic: Defending the UBSW Offense  (Read 158455 times)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Defending the UBSW Offense
« Reply #225 on: June 12, 2014, 12:26:21 PM »
Here is a good example of a Staff abusing Dave's Program but still able to win games vs inexperienced DC's....which I think the UBSW does really well regardless of what flavor.

This team had won 4 games in a row before they played us. Mahonz Jr had scouted them.  No pulling....crappy wedge....sometimes balanced....sometimes unbalanced...no real series based play calling. This was also a rookie team. 

We knew a few of their coaches. We used to coach in their Org. Mahonz Jr designed their uniforms when he was the FB Dictator of that Org. Afterwards I asked them what version of the SW they ran and they said Dave Cisar. I felt like calling Dave and turning them in.

The Header wouldn't shake hands after the game and left in a huff.

http://youtu.be/Xjl94YQtJBM
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
    • Winning Youth Football Coaching Site
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #226 on: June 12, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »
Here is a good example of a Staff abusing Dave's Program but still able to win games vs inexperienced DC's....which I think the UBSW does really well regardless of what flavor.

This team had won 4 games in a row before they played us. Mahonz Jr had scouted them.  No pulling....crappy wedge....sometimes balanced....sometimes unbalanced...no real series based play calling. This was also a rookie team. 

We knew a few of their coaches. We used to coach in their Org. Mahonz Jr designed their uniforms when he was the FB Dictator of that Org. Afterwards I asked them what version of the SW they ran and they said Dave Cisar. I felt like calling Dave and turning them in.

The Header wouldn't shake hands after the game and left in a huff.

http://youtu.be/Xjl94YQtJBM

Mike

Now that is funny, thanks

A couple of years ago I saw one of my former Omaha teams running a really poor kinda version of my offense
The guy had added in a lot of different parts that didn't fit, while ignoring a bunch of parts he needed- it was painful
Terrible fundys, awful wedge, Poor spacing, wrong stances etc

Interestingly enough- those guys are winning at about a 28% composite clip in the league Im in now- Before I left we were winning at 81% clip

I asked their Director how much it would cost for him NOT to run "my offense"
I was dead serious, willing to make a donation
My offer of $250 was not accepted- true story  ;D

The net is SW is still less than 3% of youth football teams offenses
My version is far less- than that
Again some guys who say they are running my stuff are just taking a few clips off of youtube- not invested in the books DVDs clinics etc

In some areas like yours the % is much higher
In others you don't see it at all
In others probably has to do with all the Pop Warner, AYF, AAU National Titles guys running my system have won- they see those teams at those tournaments
The 1% running my stuff, over represented in those championship games  ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:48:43 PM by davecisar »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.

Winston Churchill

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
    • Winning Youth Football Coaching Site
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
« Reply #227 on: June 12, 2014, 12:40:13 PM »
If you knew how many coaches that just can't follow directions that I have had to deal with in just two years. Even when they watch my team consistently outplay bigger, faster more athletic teams time and again. They just have to do their own thing in the end. They don't get the simple but EXTREMELY important items such as NO SPLITS because that's not what they did in HS. Then they complain that the system doesn't work for them! I know one coach that consistently argues with me that his 2 yard splits are better because he thinks he spreads the defense but also allows penetration into his backfield at an alarming rate. They take some of the package but they are always smarter then everybody else. Some are just unable to take direction from other more experienced coaches.

I do believe we all do something here or there that puts our own stamp on our teams no matter how closely we are following the system. Dave told me one time, "if it works for you, do it!"

If you thought you could run the DCSW and the entire system by just buying "the BOOK" you are wrong. Get all the materials. Study the 303 even if you aren't ready to run it. You will find a few things you can install later in the season when the basics are perfect. Buck 14 trap and Buck 23 power should be one of those along with 24 ISO. Learn the tags and adjustments a couple at a time and use them.
Get installing the SW, 303 and the defensive video and the OL video, these are priceless. I recommend all the others too. You don't need all the season videos but the rest are a must IMO.

And you didn't even see Dave lips move, LOL!

Coach

Thanks

To be frank, early on we had some of those very same issues
Winning solves it all- with retention

After I left Omaha- the guy who took over the 9-10 A team a team that had lost something like 2 games in the 4 years prior to him- was losing.
He claimed the "system didn't work"
He had coached on a team in a different org the previous year that we had blown out with the dinks I have down here in the Lincoln area  ::) ::)

Now it isn't a problem, where I live

BUT we also have guys who don't have the time to invest in learning the system properly

That's why we came up with the "cheat cards"
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:47:06 PM by davecisar »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.

Winston Churchill

Offline pogmaster3

• Copper
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2014, 12:50:20 PM »
Two schools of thought on a Philly steak. The wrong school is the cheese wiz school.

Being a representative of Philly, whiz is NOT where it's at.  Only the tourist spots (Pat's, Geno's, etc) made whiz the norm.  Old-school Philadelphians go for the real stuff, usually American or Provolone on REAL chopped steak...
“It is all too common for caterpillars to become butterflies and then to maintain that in their youth they had been little butterflies. Maturation makes liars of us all.” ― George Vaillant

Offline HCScott

• Copper
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »
This thread isn't just about Cisar's ubsw, is it?  I have only faced one team, multiple times, that ran ubsw. They are a very good team, but struggled against us. We ran a 4-4 and had a d- line that was dominant. Our backers were sure tacklers and very athletic. This doesn't mean that a 4-4 is a sw killer or I would beat any sw team. Our dline was unblock able for all the teams we played. A year up from us is sw team that hasn't ever lost since they started at age 5. Their opponents may be very interested on how to stop this team. I am saying if my line dominates your line, your in trouble. Plus we all have different rules we play by. We are unlimited weight with striper rule. So I am going to break down my practice a little different. One persons system may be tweaked a bit to serve our needs. I tried SAB blocking last year and had horrible results. It doesn't mean it doesn't work. It just means I coached it horribly. Coach Jack has great success and is 10 times the coach I am. I would love to here Coach Cisar's ways of beating the ubsw, rather than defend the ubsw. I am sure that would not be in his best interest, but I would be all ears( or eyes ). That would actually go for anyone, how do you line up and play ubsw. Do you do anything different? We really just practiced block destruction, taking on double teams, rip, swim moves, tackling( multiple ways), and take offs with speed and power.

23-3 in 2 years.

28-26, we lost to a great team that went 10-1.
Turned the ball over twice inside their 5 yard line, our kicker was sick and didn't make the game we missed 3 extra points, they scored twice on deep passes, my fault as I always give invitations to pass against us.

42-36, we lost to the same team as the year before and they ended up 4th in the nation.
2 ints and a lost fumble, we gave up 42 points, gave up 4 first play TDs!!! A couple bad play calls on my part putting the ball in the air when we had control of the game. A couple missed assignments on couple critical plays.

44-24, our opponent played 2, two way starting linemen, that were over the age limit. They had the 2 best RBs in the league.
2 ints, we gave up 44 points !!! A couple weird plays went against us, just wasn't our night I got stung behind the ear while talking to my team at halftime in NOVEMBER, how does that happen? Bad coaching, complaining etc. in second half that resulted in playing poorly and getting shut out.

Put it all together and it's really simple how to beat the DCSW.
#1 Win the turnover battle by +2
#2 Score over 40 points
#3 The coach makes some mistakes at critical points in the game and some of his players are sick
#4 Cheat and play illegal players

It's not easy but it can be done with a little help.
"The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard"

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #230 on: June 12, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
Being a representative of Philly, whiz is NOT where it's at.  Only the tourist spots (Pat's, Geno's, etc) made whiz the norm.  Old-school Philadelphians go for the real stuff, usually American or Provolone on REAL chopped steak...
If I ever go to Philly I will be sure to ask you where to go!

Offline Luc

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #231 on: June 12, 2014, 01:23:06 PM »
No worries at all, I go by Dave
OK Dave :)
The whole idea of a system is you DONT have to put 3,000 hours of time searching out and piecemealing something together on your own
Oh but do I agree with that and I wish it would apply to us Canadian coaches.

I have met some very good Canadian coaches at clinics and I always ask the same question. How do you get your hand on a Canadian football playbook (O or D) ?
Same answer every time with a little head shake: You make your own...

So while I would love to follow a US playbook, when I look at what great coaches are doing around here, I must say I need to work a bit more than your average coach to get to the same point.

Too bad really, even if I believe in the end it will have forced me to learn more, so that can't be all that bad.

Thanks for what you put in there and your blog by the way. That's what got me started (and like I said in not such a nice way, still refer to for many things such as philosophy, practice pace and player evaluation ;)
Luc
To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #232 on: June 12, 2014, 01:25:22 PM »
I thought this game had more UBSW plays being defended on it. Its mostly our Offense.

This is another rookie team from one of the smallest Orgs in our League so they always struggle with numbers. This Coach ran the John T Reed SW. You can see by the score...they scored but since its a hi-lite film you dont see any of their good plays....and they had plenty.  They had some serious RB's and some pretty good blockers. They could have been a contender if they had better numbers. This is the 3rd Grade Division and they had a few 2nd graders on the team.

Miserable conditions and why everyone is moving slow and fumbling. It was a Friday Night Game. 20 degrees, wind and freezing drizzle. I had to laugh at the PAT kick on this clip. We didn't try many but the kicker thought he broke his foot on this one because the football was frozen.

http://youtu.be/Jbv8wTFWG1o

Offline angalton

• Gold
  • Offense: Wishbone
« Reply #233 on: June 12, 2014, 01:41:23 PM »
23-3 in 2 years.

28-26, we lost to a great team that went 10-1.
Turned the ball over twice inside their 5 yard line, our kicker was sick and didn't make the game we missed 3 extra points, they scored twice on deep passes, my fault as I always give invitations to pass against us.

42-36, we lost to the same team as the year before and they ended up 4th in the nation.
2 ints and a lost fumble, we gave up 42 points, gave up 4 first play TDs!!! A couple bad play calls on my part putting the ball in the air when we had control of the game. A couple missed assignments on couple critical plays.

44-24, our opponent played 2, two way starting linemen, that were over the age limit. They had the 2 best RBs in the league.
2 ints, we gave up 44 points !!! A couple weird plays went against us, just wasn't our night I got stung behind the ear while talking to my team at halftime in NOVEMBER, how does that happen? Bad coaching, complaining etc. in second half that resulted in playing poorly and getting shut out.

Put it all together and it's really simple how to beat the DCSW.
#1 Win the turnover battle by +2
#2 Score over 40 points
#3 The coach makes some mistakes at critical points in the game and some of his players are sick
#4 Cheat and play illegal players

It's not easy but it can be done with a little help.
If you faced your own team, hypothetically, how would you defend them?
The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

Offline angalton

• Gold
  • Offense: Wishbone
« Reply #234 on: June 12, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »
I am not trying to bash any offense. I believe success can be had with any offense and defense, if coach well and proper kids that fit into the design. Guess some needs are less than others.
The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #235 on: June 12, 2014, 01:44:46 PM »
I thought this game had more UBSW plays being defended on it. Its mostly our Offense.

This is another rookie team from one of the smallest Orgs in our League so they always struggle with numbers. This Coach ran the John T Reed SW. You can see by the score...they scored but since its a hi-lite film you dont see any of their good plays....and they had plenty.  They had some serious RB's and some pretty good blockers. They could have been a contender if they had better numbers. This is the 3rd Grade Division and they had a few 2nd graders on the team.

Miserable conditions and why everyone is moving slow and fumbling. It was a Friday Night Game. 20 degrees, wind and freezing drizzle. I had to laugh at the PAT kick on this clip. We didn't try many but the kicker thought he broke his foot on this one because the football was frozen.

http://youtu.be/Jbv8wTFWG1o

Mike - don't complain about the "weather"  As a wise coach once said = it becomes a MENTAL thing, & an "ALIBI" if you lose (see #'s 22 thru 26 on out "ALIBI LIST"):.

This list is intended to simplify the problem of soliciting the proper “alibi” to suit the purpose.  While some athletes are so bad that they don’t need an alibi, most will at some time be in need of some explanation to account for some performance, and this handy checklist may prove helpful.  For those who have the ingenuity to be original, there are some blank spaces at the bottom which may be used.

1.   Don’t want to reach peak too fast.

2.   Ate too much.

3.   I was weak from lack of nourishment.

4.   Not enough training.

5.   Over-trained.

6.   Not enough time to warm up.

7.   Warmed up too much.

8.   Girlfriend will not let me play.

9.   Not enough sleep.

10.   Need wheat germ oil.

11.   Money means more than football.

12.   I need money for a car.

13.   Not enough weight training.

14.   I’m building slowly for four years from now.

15.   I don’t want to improve too rapidly.

16.   Worried about studies.

17.   Worried about finances.

18.   When I saw that ------- was in the game, I choked up.

19.   I didn’t think.

20.   I thought too much.

21.   Poor officials.

22.   Poor field.

23.   Footing too hard.

24.   Footing too soft.

25.   Too warm.

26.   Too cold. Shin splints.

27.   Blisters.

28.   Cleats too short.

29.   Cleats too long.

30.   I don’t have good shoes.

31.   Nail in shoe.

32.   Forgot to bring shoes.

33.   I have emotional problems.

34.   I can’t get emotionally aroused.

35.   Girlfriend will not let me cut my hair.

36.    Cramp in leg.

37.   Cramp in ------- (name location).

38.   Cold feet.

39.   Chicken.

40.   I thought I was having a heart attack.

41.   Snow blindness.

42.   Got lost.

43.   I thought there was another down to go.

44.   I thought the game ended 5 minutes sooner than it did.

45.   I can’t run in the open.

46.   I can’t run when I’m behind.

47.   I can’t run.

48.   Too much competition.

49.   No competition (bunch of hamburger).

50.   Too many football games.

51.   Cheap letters.

52.   Too many people depending on me.

53.   Nobody cared about my performance.

54.   I don’t like organized athletics.

55.   I only play for exercise.

56.   I only play for fun.

57.   I didn’t feel like playing in the game.

58.   I was over anxious.

59.   My mind was too tense (two tenths of a normal mind).

60.   I heard we weren’t getting a meal after the game. 

61.   My coach is an American and does not understand foreign athletes.

62.   My coach is a foreigner and does not understand American athletes.

63.   My coach is a ---------.

64.   I can’t stand too much success.

65.   My psychiatrist says I’m determined to be a failure.

66.   I don’t want to get my hair cut because I want to look like a girl.

67.   ---------------------------------

68.   ---------------------------------

69.   ---------------------------------

70.   ---------------------------------
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:46:46 PM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #236 on: June 12, 2014, 01:48:36 PM »
Here is the hi-lite film of that playoff team in this thread beating us in the Regular Season using Dave's System.

I was surprised Mahonz Jr didn't get flagged for being on the field. The White Hat was a real character and knew we were having a really bad day.

They almost rescheduled this game. It started about 4 hours late and it was mega hot and on turf. Both games before ours had the ambulance show up. Both teams were fried well before KO. A bunch of 3rd graders sitting around doing nothing forever never works. They could have scored 50 on us we were so bad but they were off as well and wearing all black. 

Its why that Playoff Game was so huge for both teams.

http://youtu.be/1dSG4M66l4o

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #237 on: June 12, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »

Mike - don't complain about the "weather"  As a wise coach once said = it becomes a MENTAL thing, & an "ALIBI" if you lose (see #'s 22 thru 26 on out "ALIBI LIST"):.

Bill

They're 8!....they complain about everything.  :P We had some really crappy weather that season too. The Championship Game was played in a Blizzard.

I have a specific pre game prep that the players go thru for these conditions. This was their first Rodeo with the weather. Makes me want to coach in Florida with all the wussies on the Forum.  :-*

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #238 on: June 12, 2014, 02:06:10 PM »
Bill

They're 8!....they complain about everything.  :P We had some really crappy weather that season too. The Championship Game was played in a Blizzard.

I have a specific pre game prep that the players go thru for these conditions. This was their first Rodeo with the weather. Makes me want to coach in Florida with all the wussies on the Forum.  :-*

If you want to coach 8 year olds you must convince them it's really not cold (YOU must weat a T-Shirt & Shorts to drive home that point, like Woody Hayes used to do).  That is what you signed on for (to be a MASTER psychologist)!  NOTE:  If the game isn't "CALLED OFF" don't make alibis FOR them - they'll come up with enough on their own.  We had a hard & fast rule with the 8 & 9 year olds I once coached = "NO WHINING"!

I just added "I'M 8 YEARS OLD" to #67 on the "ALIBI LIST".

PS:  You KNOW I'm just funnin' with you!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:16:22 PM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #239 on: June 12, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »
If you want to coach 8 year olds you must convince them it's really not cold (YOU must weat a T-Shirt & Shorts to drive home that point, like Woody Hayes used to do).  That is what you signed on for (to be a MASTER psychologist)!  NOTE:  If the game isn't "CALLED OFF" don't make alibis FOR them - they'll come up with enough on their own.  We had a hard & fast rule with the 8 & 9 year olds I once coached = "NO WHINING"!

I just added "I'M 8 YEARS OLD" to #67 on the "ALIBI LIST".

PS:  You KNOW I'm just funnin' with you!

Bill

Oh heck yes.  8)

Problem with me convincing them is Im the biggest wuss !