Author Topic: Defending the UBSW Offense  (Read 158450 times)

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
Re: Defending the UBSW Offense
« Reply #390 on: June 16, 2014, 01:07:19 PM »
Gordon Wood (LEGENDARY Texas HS Coach) took the balanced line SW, put the BB under as a QB, & became a LEGEND.  "Bear" Bryant said that Wood was "the best HS Coach" he ever knew:

Gordon's BOOK shows his offense (if I still ran SW I would head in THIS direction):

"Gordon Wood's Game Plan for Winning Football" by Gordon Wood (Feb 1992) =EXCELLENT (Amazon.com) $21.95

Gordon Lenear Wood (May 25, 1914 – December 17, 2003 was an American high school football coach in Texas. He was a head football coach for forty-three seasons, winning or sharing twenty-five district championships and nine state championships.

Wood mainly ran a variant of the single wing formation, called “Warren Woodson Wing T”, named after the former Hardin-Simmons (& New Mexico St) coach whom Wood admired. Though it was primarily a running offense, Wood was ahead of his time because his teams could also pass effectively from it.

PS:  Here is ANOTHER book on that same offense:
 Mesa's Power Attack: Football's Winningest Offense by Roger Worsley (1967)  $3.45 on Amazon & Abebooks (AND you don't have to "float a loan" to buy it)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:27:54 PM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #391 on: June 16, 2014, 01:21:58 PM »
Mike

I agree, certain things like catching the ball - get a lot easier with age

Last 2 seasons- Ive coached 7-9s
Last year we had something like 5 turnovers total for the season
I think just 1 might have been to a bad snap- he snapped it to wrong kid- kid wasn't ready for it, we bobbled and lost it
Player was a rookie 9 year old
He had maybe 7-8 games where he was perfect on 45-65 snaps

The year before it was a 9 year old- second year player- first year at Center
We had 7 turnovers for the season
We might have had one game where it was his fault
Not over the head or anything- but again snapping to wrong player- he heard the play wrong
He did a great job- again 8-9 perfect games

When I first started running this O- I was worried about it
Because I see all those youth gun teams struggling with it
We don't- maybe it has to do with how we teach and rep it- maybe it has to do with how tight and low we are- or a combination of the 2

Dave

Your tight and low backfield is the be all fix all for sure.

I was watching a first grade team run your Burst Formation a few years ago. The Center literally rolled the football back to the RB's. This worked fantastic for them. I can appreciate it too...the QB/C exchange under center with first graders is tough because the football is really too big for their hands at that level.

Rolling the football back 1.5 yards was a very clever and quite effective method.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
    • Winning Youth Football Coaching Site
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #392 on: June 16, 2014, 01:30:41 PM »
Dave

I was watching a first grade team run your Burst Formation a few years ago. The Center literally rolled the football back to the RB's. This worked fantastic for them. I can appreciate it too...the QB/C exchange under center with first graders is tough because the football is really too big for their hands at that level.

Rolling the football back 1.5 yards was a very clever and quite effective method.

We also like to run Spread SW and Jet- which Im not sure any of the SW teams from the 40s or 50s ran
I also doubt many of those SW teams back then lead their leagues in passing TDs- like we do  ;D ;D

When I ran Jet out of I or even DW under center- man that motion better be perfect, because the QB has to turn to get the ball there with his back to the Jet Back

I found it MUCH easier and safer out of the short gun- we are at 3 yards on that. So much less stressful for the QB with the jet back passing in front- much easier to see him in motion and fit the ball into his gut, then run downhill for a trap or power OR play action- for the QB. The run or fake after the Jet handoff was so darn natural for the QB. SO easy to teach and then we had room for the pulling guard to pull or trap or the H back to trap- Or catch the snap and run trap or wedge himself- having the QB in a short gun just gives you so many simple and easy options off that look

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:33:52 PM by davecisar »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.

Winston Churchill

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #393 on: June 16, 2014, 02:52:12 PM »
We also like to run Spread SW and Jet- which Im not sure any of the SW teams from the 40s or 50s ran
I also doubt many of those SW teams back then lead their leagues in passing TDs- like we do  ;D ;D

When I ran Jet out of I or even DW under center- man that motion better be perfect, because the QB has to turn to get the ball there with his back to the Jet Back

I found it MUCH easier and safer out of the short gun- we are at 3 yards on that. So much less stressful for the QB with the jet back passing in front- much easier to see him in motion and fit the ball into his gut, then run downhill for a trap or power OR play action- for the QB. The run or fake after the Jet handoff was so darn natural for the QB. SO easy to teach and then we had room for the pulling guard to pull or trap or the H back to trap- Or catch the snap and run trap or wedge himself- having the QB in a short gun just gives you so many simple and easy options off that look

Dave

Interesting.

When I ran the Wild Bunch at the Semi Pro level I had two slots that were former T&F champs at the College level. These guys could fly so they were obviously my designated speed sweepers. Both preferred Orbit Sweeps over Jet Sweeps. Both play designs were from under center but Jet was flat and they got the football first and on Orbit they got the football last and from an "orbit" path that took them to RB depth.

The reason was it was easier for both of them to find the alley from depth so gun Jets do have that going for them for sure.

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
    • Winning Youth Football Coaching Site
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
« Reply #394 on: June 16, 2014, 03:20:36 PM »
Mike

That is just PART of it

The complementary plays are the killers for us

I love the QB Powers and Traps off the Jet action- so natural for him to just run downhill
The PAP off of that is my favorite pass in the entire offense- the QB has his eyes on the target RIGHT NOW- no turning around to find him or rolling out

The Wedge or trap to the BB is really tight and easy off that action
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.

Winston Churchill

Offline HCScott

• Copper
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
« Reply #395 on: June 16, 2014, 08:42:53 PM »
Dave

I tell other coaches all the time, "I don't care if he rolls the ball back there"  They think I'm a nut and it actually never happens that way but it's fun to mess with you guys that don't run SW with the short shot gun.
"The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard"

Offline HCScott

• Copper
« Reply #396 on: June 16, 2014, 08:45:13 PM »
Mike

That is just PART of it

The complementary plays are the killers for us

I love the QB Powers and Traps off the Jet action- so natural for him to just run downhill
The PAP off of that is my favorite pass in the entire offense- the QB has his eyes on the target RIGHT NOW- no turning around to find him or rolling out

The Wedge or trap to the BB is really tight and easy off that action

All great plays that we run too. So much to choose from after you get into the advanced portion of the offense.
"The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard"

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #397 on: June 17, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »
I tell other coaches all the time, "I don't care if he rolls the ball back there"  They think I'm a nut and it actually never happens that way but it's fun to mess with you guys that don't run SW with the short shot gun.

I HOPE you don't teach "rolling the ball back there".  That is the most outlandish thing I ever heard.  A football is NOT round!  A soccer ball is!
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #398 on: June 17, 2014, 11:22:39 AM »
I HOPE you don't teach "rolling the ball back there".  That is the most outlandish thing I ever heard.  A football is NOT round!  A soccer ball is!

LOL !

It worked really well for the Super Smurfs I watched doing just that....surprisingly well.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #399 on: June 17, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »
LOL !

It worked really well for the Super Smurfs I watched doing just that....surprisingly well.

Holy CRAP!  It is BOUND to REVOLUTIONIZE football.  Put out a DVD on it (or book)!

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #400 on: June 17, 2014, 12:11:59 PM »

Holy CRAP!  It is BOUND to REVOLUTIONIZE football.  Put out a DVD on it (or book)!

LOL!

That was about the same reaction I had when I saw it with my own two eyes. Considering the age group....the football gets fumbled about every 8th play or so when considering both Offenses...they basically fixed that problem on their side of the football although I do remember one of the RB's accidentally kicking the football once.  :P

Still...they were pretty good at it. It was a pretty clever idea.

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #401 on: June 17, 2014, 12:17:24 PM »
Mike,
   I don't care if it worked or not, there is no way I would ever teach my players the wrong way to do something. Some may not agree on some details of technique or choose other techs but to teach something flat out wrong is irresponsible. It is really easy to have my olinemen to stand straight up at the snap but there is no way I let them do it. At the youngest levels the basics need to be reinforced non stop so bad habits don't start. My header would go ballistic if I taught my center to roll the ball.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #402 on: June 17, 2014, 01:07:21 PM »
Mike,
   I don't care if it worked or not, there is no way I would ever teach my players the wrong way to do something. Some may not agree on some details of technique or choose other techs but to teach something flat out wrong is irresponsible. It is really easy to have my olinemen to stand straight up at the snap but there is no way I let them do it. At the youngest levels the basics need to be reinforced non stop so bad habits don't start. My header would go ballistic if I taught my center to roll the ball.

LOL ! Oh Im in agreement with you here.

Which brings us full circle. The direct snap is 1000 times more difficult to teach. I think its safe to say this Staff was going insane trying to teach it properly to a bunch of 5/6 year olds. But hey....they found a way. I call that ingenuity...purists be damned.  :)

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #403 on: June 17, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »
LOL!

That was about the same reaction I had when I saw it with my own two eyes. Considering the age group....the football gets fumbled about every 8th play or so when considering both Offenses...they basically fixed that problem on their side of the football although I do remember one of the RB's accidentally kicking the football once.  :P

Still...they were pretty good at it. It was a pretty clever idea.

LOL:  Use a SOCCER ball & you could DRIBBLE it!

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #404 on: June 17, 2014, 01:25:23 PM »
I agree that a ds in pistol or shotgun length is much harder. But Dave's offense, as you know, is much shallower and the crouched position makes it easier.
We lost one of our coaches this season. Great guy and great coach. He played center in hs and college. Wish he was still with us. The move to our new org made it impossile for him to be with us again as he has kids in the old org(cheerleaders  ???).