Author Topic: Defending the UBSW Offense  (Read 158422 times)

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Defending the UBSW Offense
« Reply #450 on: June 19, 2014, 11:37:41 AM »
I think it's great we have been able to have a discussion about how to defend the SW

I'm sure it's helped some teams with their approach

I'm sure it's helped some offenses- with knowing which plays to call beyond the base 6 plays and what basic canned adjustments to call as well
There are answers for everything

For an offense that less than 3% of youth teams are running- it sure seems to cause a lot of problems and win a lot of games  ;D and cause teams to do a lot of very different things than they are used to doing- which is good if you are the OC   ;D

Ive got to thank Bill for posting so much info and giving me the Opportunity to explain the reasoning behind why we do what we do. When you write a book under 300 pages that encompasses all facets of the game, there just isn't enough room to explain all the reasoning behind what we do. For that, I am very appreciative.

Dave

Its been an excellent exercise. Thanks for sharing.....huge help.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #451 on: June 19, 2014, 12:22:26 PM »
There are answers on offense and defense for everything as Dave says. Whether you have them installed or not is the question. That is why our staff values tags and formations more than plays. If we had to have a play to answer even the most common problems we would have a playbook 3 inches thick. As is, we have a few plays and a million formations and tags.

Offline JB

• Silver
  • "Hang Tough! Never, ever, give up"-Maj. D. Winters
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Other
« Reply #452 on: June 19, 2014, 01:00:08 PM »
There are answers on offense and defense for everything as Dave says. Whether you have them installed or not is the question. That is why our staff values tags and formations more than plays. If we had to have a play to answer even the most common problems we would have a playbook 3 inches thick. As is, we have a few plays and a million formations and tags.

Did you guys start running the SW when Doc was down at Pt. St. Lucie?
"The big lesson in life, baby, is to never be scared of anyone or anything." Frank Sinatra

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #453 on: June 19, 2014, 01:28:32 PM »
We started running it in 2007 - 2008. Another local org (Jupiter Mustangs) was having success with it. We actually had a kid on our team whose father played for Doc Ward. Unfortunatley, he had no influence on our program. He was already gone from PSL when I started coaching. Believe me, if he was still around we would of been beating down his doors. We were a wing t team before we discovered the sw. You still see some wing t in some of the stuff we run, especially in our dw and spread.
Port St. Lucie is a weird sports town. Absolutely no support for the athletic programs whether they are youth or high school. It is a real shame. Dr. Ward was put into a very bad situation. He went to a very bad football program and managed to turn it around pretty quickly. I don't know why he left. I really wish he was still around as the talent pool in PSL over the last 10-12 years has gotten much better. I would also love to pick his brain.

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #454 on: June 19, 2014, 05:16:58 PM »
We started running it in 2007 - 2008. Another local org (Jupiter Mustangs) was having success with it. We actually had a kid on our team whose father played for Doc Ward. Unfortunatley, he had no influence on our program. He was already gone from PSL when I started coaching. Believe me, if he was still around we would of been beating down his doors. We were a wing t team before we discovered the sw. You still see some wing t in some of the stuff we run, especially in our dw and spread.
Port St. Lucie is a weird sports town. Absolutely no support for the athletic programs whether they are youth or high school. It is a real shame. Dr. Ward was put into a very bad situation. He went to a very bad football program and managed to turn it around pretty quickly. I don't know why he left. I really wish he was still around as the talent pool in PSL over the last 10-12 years has gotten much better. I would also love to pick his brain.

Sledgehammer Hitting the Forehead !!!!

R...after all this time I just figured out what "PSL" stands for.  :P
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #455 on: June 19, 2014, 08:03:08 PM »
Sledgehammer Hitting the Forehead !!!!

R...after all this time I just figured out what "PSL" stands for.  :P
You could of just asked.

Offline DKITCHEN

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #456 on: June 24, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »
They are the Hurricanes or Canes in Fredericksburg and the coach is Joe Brennan.

I thought he lived in Richmond.

Fredericksburg Canes 8U won the 2013 AAU League Based National Championship tournament  played at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando. Joe B is an assistant Coach and his son caught a touchdown in the Championship game playing tight end:-) Most of our kids moved up to 10U this year.....

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #457 on: June 24, 2014, 02:40:59 PM »
Fredericksburg Canes 8U won the 2013 AAU League Based National Championship tournament  played at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando. Joe B is an assistant Coach and his son caught a touchdown in the Championship game playing tight end:-) Most of our kids moved up to 10U this year.....
They beat Apopka in Nationals right? I know no 8U team in our leageu came close to beating Apopka. They are always stacked and were the defending 8U champs.

Offline HCScott

• Copper
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #458 on: June 26, 2014, 09:45:11 AM »

Are you guys playing AYF this year? Unlimited? Just curious.
We play 9u, 11u, 14u all unlimited AYF here in Portland Oregon, Portland Youth Football & Cheer.

"The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard"