Author Topic: Interesting Zone Blocking Version  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Texan

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Retired
Interesting Zone Blocking Version
« on: June 12, 2014, 12:34:47 AM »
So I had the privilege to sit down with the o-line coach of a local college the other night and have a few beers.  Dude has been around the block and coached at many colleges around the country.  Good stuff.

However, threw me for a total curve ball that I had never heard of before.  He says he teaches 3 types of zone.

1) Inside zone - outside foot of play side Guard.  Very standard and typical.
2) Wide zone - aka, outside zone.  Alex Gibbs all the way

And then he drops this on me.

3) Tight zone, inside foot of play side Guard.  Okay, all good, lots of pistol teams move the monument in.  But, he says to have the guys step with the back side foot first and skip the zone step.

Wha?   

Anyone else ever heard of this?

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
Re: Interesting Zone Blocking Version
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 01:08:35 AM »
OK it sounds like a "Sucker Step" that allows the defender to come across and then "Pin Him" to that side!  If you watch the Patriots, they do a lot of "Wraping" from one side to the other in their running game.  It's still Zone but more like a G series. 

Lets remember, that Zone blocking is nothing more than blocking the front you are faced with.  The depth of the RB in Pistol give him an advantage like, an I Back, to really read the openings. 

I would say Uuurah!  Unless of course there is a stunt or twist going on.

Looking forward to others input here!!

;)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline coacho

• Bronze
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Undecided
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 06:18:01 AM »
When running the Jet Power my OT will use a "Sucker Step". I never called it a Sucker Step, "Thanks Coach" LOL but we step with the inside foot to allow upfield movement by the D Gap player. This creates a great seam in the defense for our RB to hit.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:26:41 AM »
I actually saw this in older pro style playbooks... there was 20/30(what he calls tight) 40/50 gut (inside zone) 60/70 gash (wide zone). Ill try to find and post ive seen it. Makes sence... probably more so used vs..reduced fronts
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Defense: Undecided
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 10:53:13 AM »
So I had the privilege to sit down with the o-line coach of a local college the other night and have a few beers.  Dude has been around the block and coached at many colleges around the country.  Good stuff.

However, threw me for a total curve ball that I had never heard of before.  He says he teaches 3 types of zone.

1) Inside zone - outside foot of play side Guard.  Very standard and typical.
2) Wide zone - aka, outside zone.  Alex Gibbs all the way

And then he drops this on me.

3) Tight zone, inside foot of play side Guard.  Okay, all good, lots of pistol teams move the monument in.  But, he says to have the guys step with the back side foot first and skip the zone step.

Wha?   

Anyone else ever heard of this?

Simply the BEST Inside Zone team EVER was the Redskins with Joe Bugel, the "Hogs", & RB's John Riggins (aligned at 5 1/2 yds), and Ernest Byner (aligned at 6 1/2 yds).

This is what THEY did (16 seasons), & what WE do (31 seasons):

1.  IZ Zone if ON G covered run to outside hip of ON G (20-30).   Read the man on the Guard.
2.  IZ Zone if ON G uncovered run to inside hip of ON T (40-50).  Read the man on the Tackle.
3.  OZ ZONE run for crack of TE's butt (60-70).  Read DE.

THAT'S ALL!  There could be 1,000 O-Line coaches each with their own little "twist", BUT, the Joe Gibbs Skins  did it better than ANYONE ever has - stick with THEIR way.  I wouldn't copy anyone who didn't teach it half as good as they did for 16 seasons (in my personal point of view - this ends all discussion of RB aiming points)!

ATTACHMENT #1 = REDSKINS IZ play-sheet (from a tightly guarded playbook of theirs)
ATTACHMENT #2 = What Bill Walsh SAID about the Redskins running game (2003)!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:32:52 AM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline flosman

• Bronze
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 12:57:49 PM »
We don't change our blocking scheme on our zone stuff. We are either blocking inside zone or outside zone. The only thing that changes sometimes is what the BST is doing on IZ. We will tag an arc block to the will sometimes against certain defenses and we have had a tag for the BST to insert to a LB .  Now we have changed the RBs landmark from the inside foot of the PSG to the outside  foot of the PSG as a game plan adjustment against one opponent.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Defense: Undecided
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 02:10:43 PM »
We don't change our blocking scheme on our zone stuff. We are either blocking inside zone or outside zone. The only thing that changes sometimes is what the BST is doing on IZ. We will tag an arc block to the will sometimes against certain defenses and we have had a tag for the BST to insert to a LB .  Now we have changed the RBs landmark from the inside foot of the PSG to the outside  foot of the PSG as a game plan adjustment against one opponent.

The people we learned the offense from (Joe Bugel; Alex Gibbs) used the same blocking RULES, but the TECHNIQUE on the OZ was slightly wider (because on the OZ it "stretches" the defense allowing the RB to CUT UP better)!  That is why they call them "TIGHT ZONE", and, "WIDE ZONE". 

I have posted those techniques perhaps 100 times in the past if you are interested.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:12:32 PM by billmountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com