Author Topic: Twelfth Man and Maximizing Practice Time  (Read 2185 times)

Offline fhubert

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Head Coach
Twelfth Man and Maximizing Practice Time
« on: June 13, 2014, 04:46:32 PM »
For two years now I've split the kids after assessments into "backs" and "line" for offense, and after the pads get on we have done the same for defense (D-line and LB/DB).  On defense I've always tried to get the best 11 on the field so I think we have done a little better on that side of the ball - but not always.  On offense  our 5th back (after the starting QB, FB, and two WB's) is always one of our top 10 athletes.  In fact, it is often the case that my first four backups for the backfield could start on the O-line.  Historically it has been convenient for me to do it this way because indies and group work are simple to coordinate, and I can rotate backs in fresh from the sidelines, etc.  But more and more I am thinking my teams would do better if I placed as many of my best players on the field at the same time as possible.  So maybe the backup fullback starts at guard and the backup WB's start at TE.

I am switching to the 6-3 this season so I envision a similar quandary on defense this fall.  We'll have the front 6 and back 5, but the 6th kid for the back 5 should probably be starting as an OLB in one of the stacks.

The concern I have is how do I get my starting G enough reps there while also ensuring he is a capable backup FB.  There will always be an illness, injury, whatever to deal with and you have to ensure the kid that is sent in is fully prepared.  When I over-think this dilemma I start to wonder whether splitting time practicing two positions will be effective.  For example, perhaps my 12th best player, if given all the backup reps at WB, could be a better choice for that backup role than the kid who assessed better but ended up as the starting TE.

What do you guys do?

Fred

Online Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
Re: Twelfth Man and Maximizing Practice Time
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 11:06:18 PM »
Quite Frankly My Offensive position are completely different than Defensive (rules and what not).

I guess what I  am saying is one doesn't lead to the other.   The dichotomy from O to D is out of this world.  Dont worry about where they play on O!  If you're on D then its all in for D regardless!!   

Hope that makes sense! ;)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline fhubert

• Copper
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 12:03:30 AM »
Coach Sahd,

I'm sorry for rambling and being unclear but that isn't what I meant at all.  On offense, if one or two of your top 10 players are backups in the backfield, are you OK with that or would you start them on the line so you get more of your best players on the field together?  Separately, if your sixth and seventh best defenders are great backups for the back five in the 6-3, would you be OK with that instead of moving them or other players to the front six in order to keep your best 11 on the field together?

Fred

Offline HCScott

• Copper
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 12:23:59 AM »
Coach Sahd,

I'm sorry for rambling and being unclear but that isn't what I meant at all.  On offense, if one or two of your top 10 players are backups in the backfield, are you OK with that or would you start them on the line so you get more of your best players on the field together?  Separately, if your sixth and seventh best defenders are great backups for the back five in the 6-3, would you be OK with that instead of moving them or other players to the front six in order to keep your best 11 on the field together?

Fred

I always start with my best 11 athletes/tacklers, SPEED, on defense. I've had many arguments with assistants about playing the QB on defense etc but it is my philosophy to play defense with my best personnel, period.

Offensively I want my best 11 as starters but my OL don't need to have the speed I want on defense and sometimes my good tacklers are not good RBs or ends. Why wouldn't you play the best 11 players? If your #2 FB is your #1 TE why would you sit him? Makes no sense to me.

I expect my players to know 2 positions on offense so they can interchange when needed.
Defensively I don't demand that from everyone but the LBs and DBs generally need to know 2 positions.
"The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard"

Offline fhubert

• Copper
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 02:06:25 PM »
If your #2 FB is your #1 TE why would you sit him? Makes no sense to me.

I expect my players to know 2 positions on offense so they can interchange when needed.
Defensively I don't demand that from everyone but the LBs and DBs generally need to know 2 positions.
Coach Scott,

Historically I've cross-trained all of my O-Linemen to play multiple O-line positions and similarly with the backs I will have them learn multiple positions.  This is easy to do - I want all of my linemen to know how to TKO, pull, kick-out block and superman.  I want all my backs able to take a hand-off, catch a pitch, kick-out block, log block, stiff-arm, etc.  The dilemma I have is how best to split a player's time between backs and line when doing group work.  Other than the kick-out block, it's a distinct set of skills to learn between the groups.

I've not run the 6-3 yet but I'm planning to this year, and from my studies it seems pretty clear that there are a set of drills for the front six that is separate and distinct from the back five.

If you bounce a kid between groups then he's not likely to get enough reps with either group, even though I'd be diversifying his skill set.  It reminds me of the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none".  How do I solve that?

Fred