Author Topic: Reading LB instead of DL in Zone  (Read 2905 times)

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
Reading LB instead of DL in Zone
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:24:41 AM »
I know some people teach the RB to read the LB instead of the DL in IZ/OZ.  I have a tape somewhere of Bill Williams doing it. In fact I think he uses Cal and another college cutups as examples. For those that teach it what are you teaching? How are you teaching it?

Offline CoachMattC

• Gold
  • Skype ID: cale.matt
    • Videos
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Title: Positions
Re: Reading LB instead of DL in Zone
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 09:40:29 AM »
I'm sure Joe can give a more nuanced answer but we teach the back to read the first 2nd level defender inside the landmark. At first I don't care as much if they cut in the right direction based on the read. I care more that they are making a decision and cutting downhill with a purpose. Even if they get the direction wrong they should be able to carry the read guy for 3-4 yards with their momentum.
‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

Offline morris

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »
So in a 53/33 type defense they are reading the MLB?

One thing I know will happen is no matter if it's a 44 or a 53 is they will break the OLB stack but won't the inside. So in a 50 the OLB will go out on 2 but the M will stay as a 00. In a 44 he will stay as a 20. I know that should mean I throw to the 3 since he is uncovered but I still want to run.

I remember in the Bill Williams tape they pretty much told the rb to go opposite the lb. If he hid you hid in the double team.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »
Ive done both and heres my take and maybe joe can elaborate.

In wide zone
--------------b
----------3--------9
----#--0--0--0

In reading second level.. backer plugs we bounce in theory. But now we are bouncing to a 9 a no no in wide zone.

Backer flows out life is good with the read.  We go through with our regular scheduled program.

So im playing with using the lb as a secondary or "during" play read.

Our first read is pre snap... then we have a live key.

Depending on key 1 determines the options for key 2.

Eg 1

----------------b
----------3--------9
----#--0--0--0
1 pre snap- 9tech : run c gap to cut behind the 3.

Translation c gap closes cut behind the guard tackle combo

Eg 2- harder read
------b
----------3-----6
----#--0--0--0

1- 6 tech : read 6 tech to backer. Bounce or stay on track to C
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline DL

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:17:57 AM »
I think if backer plugs and is even or behind it's next seam wherever it may be.   If he is ahead it's a cutback.   If he stands still attack him and cut off the block in open space. 

The tackle is widened so it tends to work out.

I could be wrong though.

Offline morris

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:20:12 AM »
I see what you're saying but I'm afraid that's too much thinking. Currently in the first example if we are running OZ we would read the 3. We never read a 9. So unless the 3 comes down the Los hard we cram the c gap.

In the second example we read the 6 and go opposite of him.

Another way I thought about it is how DeMeo teaches where you cram a gap and slide to wherever color comes from. Granted that is much more an iz type read and how he teaches his rb for gun veer.

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 10:33:06 AM »
J

For OZ....I teach reading the first LB'rs on the backside of the RB's monument. The reason is he is the one LB'r the might not get blocked as the Zone rotates if he fills/ scrapes faster than the Zone can rotate.

IZ I cant remember. Last time we used IZ was 2009 maybe?
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline CoachMattC

• Gold
  • Skype ID: cale.matt
    • Videos
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »

Right

One thing I know will happen is no matter if it's a 44 or a 53 is they will break the OLB stack but won't the inside. So in a 50 the OLB will go out on 2 but the M will stay as a 00. In a 44 he will stay as a 20. I know that should mean I throw to the 3 since he is uncovered but I still want to run.

If its a numbers problem and you don't want to throw bubble to 2 then make 2 an H. Or, better yet, leave a #2 and bring an H then watch em squirm. If its a problem with teaching too much that's one reason I like just using Zone. No IZ, no OZ. Landmark is always the OT.
‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

Offline morris

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 10:46:08 AM »
We are uc so I don't like throwing bubble from under. When I was in the gun we would throw now/fast screen in a heartbeat.

We are single back with either 2te/2wr or 1te/3wr most of the time.

I'll throw a now or a fast seam from under.

Offline Luc

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 01:09:30 PM »

I remember in the Bill Williams tape they pretty much told the rb to go opposite the lb. If he hid you hid in the double team.
Coach,

That's exactly what I'm going to teach this year.

On Zone (IZ) we will basically ignore both 9 techs, so the tech inside will get doubled team, and if the MLB goes into the B gap, that would open a very nice cut back lane for the RB who is reading him.

As for OZ, like Coach Joe we won't OZ. We'll use the Truck play instead of his Stretch play because of the motion of our SlotBacks who will crack block those 9 techs all the way to the Safeties ;)

So the MLB will have a very short time to decide if the play is Truck (off tackle) and he should flow, or Zone, and he should stay. And when he stays, he will have a combo bringing the DL in his lap.

We put Truck in and already it's giving headaches to our defense. Zone is going in this week. Can't wait.

Luc
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:25:11 PM by Luc »
To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.