Author Topic: I can teach Zone (THANKS!)  (Read 7742 times)

Offline Luc

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
I can teach Zone (THANKS!)
« on: July 18, 2014, 12:54:53 PM »
Weird title, I know.

A little context. There are very few things in my life that I had so much trouble understanding as Zone (both IZ and OZ).

Nothing was easy. Number of players, double teams, assignments, where the play would go, covered/uncovered, counting, reads for the backs, NOTHING WAS EASY.

Actually, it was worse than that. Everything simply didn't stick in my mind, no matter how much I tried, things that were finally making sense one day were muddy again the next.

I got some good coaching and support, and I kept at it. There has to be a reason why most teams today (not in youth I know) have Zone as some part of their offense.

So after some 4-6 months, it started to make sense. I could remember things from one day to the next. I started to follow discussion and understand some of it.

The dozens of documents I read from Coach Mountjoy were making sense. The book from Coach Trickett was understandable.

I had a few discussions with Coach Joe about how he does it and he managed to make me understand (he deserve a medal -- no kidding).

And then I started to cut down to something I thought I could teach. To 10 years old.

And then I studied some more.

This was the week where we put Zone in. One day for the basic combo block (they already knew the drive and reach blocks), and One day to get the basic of choosing combos for different fronts.

It worked. We still need tons of practice, but I was very comfortable teaching it to my kids, and they got it.

I would never have thought I would see the day, and I would never have succeeded without the help of many on this site. Some of you didn't write it to me, but still you shared what you know, and I got something from it.

I can teach Zone.
Thank you guys!

Luc
To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: I can teach Zone (THANKS!)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 02:31:19 PM »
Uh oh combos day one...

Least you have a method to your madness stay with it.
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline GP

• Silver
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »
Great post, Luc!

I also soak up just about ANYTHING that Joe and CMJ post. Those guys are God sends to us younger coaches and I'm sure they'll tell you part of why they do it is because when they were young, they had older / wiser coaches help mentor them.

However, unlike many stubborn / ego driven coaches, you chose to listen and learn from those guys instead of acting like you know it all. For that, YOU deserve credit (and your players will reap significant benefits).

This is also my first year with zone. Just about a week in but there seems to be very little confusion about assignments, even in combo situations. Our technique / footwork constantly needs A TON of work but bc they're pretty much nailing the assignments, we're able to focus extensively on that.

I've also ingrained that when we make a mistake, we do it at 100 mph. So if you block the wrong person, put him on his ass. I'm still going to get on you in film for missing the assignment, but that's a million times better than standing around looking confused (which a couple did on Day 1). THAT will result in you being pulled from the game immediately.

So far I love teaching the zone scheme but need another month or so before stating for the record that I can coach zone  :P 
"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

Offline Luc

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »
Uh oh combos day one...
At least I haven't talked about the backers yet, except to say that we should bring our D-Line guy onto their lap :)
Oh, and technically, it was day 2. But I get your drift Coach ;)
And we've been learning to drive and reach block for more than a month, so it's not that aggressive a schedule (I hope).
Luc
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:15:17 PM by Luc »
To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.

Offline Luc

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
Great post, Luc!
Thanks Coach,

So far I love teaching the zone scheme but need another month or so before stating for the record that I can coach zone  :P
Yeah, looking back at the film from the practice, I might have jump the gun a little with that enthusiastic announcement ;)
Luc

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:13:33 PM »
At least I haven't talked about the backers yet, except to say that we should bring our D-Line guy onto their lap :)
Oh, and technically, it was day 2. But I get your drift Coach ;)
And we've been learning to drive and reach block for more than a month, so it's not that aggressive a schedule (I hope).
Luc

My advice: learn to "check" when your un covered vs gettin right in the double.

Sometimes these combos are just transitions.

Need any thing pm me we can talk

Offline Luc

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »

Sometimes these combos are just transitions.

Need any thing pm me we can talk
I'll take you up on that offer Coach.

I can just tell you that the way I understood Coach Joe, there is A LOT of chatter between linemen, and not a lot of confusion (except maybe for the D-line ;)

Luc

Offline joshv155

• Gold
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »
Uh oh combos day one...

How long does one normally take for this ?

Drive, reach, double then combo ?
Passio Bellator

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »
How long does one normally take for this ?

Drive, reach, double then combo ?

Our first day teaching we work a lot of footwork and positioning .

Stance...even toe... weight dustribution
first thing...teach covered
first step ...aiming point...load
second step...elevate
third step...buzz feet...finish

We probably will spend just 20min

Next 10 we go into splits...recession and count

Day 2 we review technique
Work on steps vs sled vs even and odd techniques

Boards for step 3 and beyond
add bags if comfortable

Teach un covered read
review count
go through 3 steps vs 1 even front and 1 odd front (6-2 5-2)

Day 3 do it all
add 2 board and slow oklahoma
Add slants to tandem blocking

Day 4 review everything
teach stack vs stack with "zebra" call

Zone takes a while at first however once the basis is installed you can refine for the remainder of the season

Offline GP

• Silver
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »

can you elaborate on this Zach?
"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

Offline WBCoach

• Copper
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 10:19:39 PM »
Weird title, I know.

A little context. There are very few things in my life that I had so much trouble understanding as Zone (both IZ and OZ).

Nothing was easy. Number of players, double teams, assignments, where the play would go, covered/uncovered, counting, reads for the backs, NOTHING WAS EASY.

Actually, it was worse than that. Everything simply didn't stick in my mind, no matter how much I tried, things that were finally making sense one day were muddy again the next.

I got some good coaching and support, and I kept at it. There has to be a reason why most teams today (not in youth I know) have Zone as some part of their offense.

So after some 4-6 months, it started to make sense. I could remember things from one day to the next. I started to follow discussion and understand some of it.

The dozens of documents I read from Coach Mountjoy were making sense. The book from Coach Trickett was understandable.

I had a few discussions with Coach Joe about how he does it and he managed to make me understand (he deserve a medal -- no kidding).

And then I started to cut down to something I thought I could teach. To 10 years old.

And then I studied some more.

This was the week where we put Zone in. One day for the basic combo block (they already knew the drive and reach blocks), and One day to get the basic of choosing combos for different fronts.

It worked. We still need tons of practice, but I was very comfortable teaching it to my kids, and they got it.

I would never have thought I would see the day, and I would never have succeeded without the help of many on this site. Some of you didn't write it to me, but still you shared what you know, and I got something from it.

I can teach Zone.
Thank you guys!

Luc
Coach are you teaching the line how joe teaches or how bill teaches because from what I see they teach the line differently.
Team work: good as gold

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »
How does Joe teach it?

I think what Zach is referring to with the transition is what others would call a fast rotation. If I'm uncovered and zoning right I could end up one arm bench pressing or punching the near DL as I climb to backer. You're not always going to get that hip to hip double team on a DL.

Also what is a zebra call and way do you make it?

We will be full zone this year and have just worked on covered drive and reach. Baby steps

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 09:09:22 AM »
Morris

I have developed a fairly easy way to teach IZ, we don't count, nor care about covered uncovered. Our playside tackle makes a call & off we go. It's easiest to think of it as a hinge on a door. The tackle is that hinge.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Luc

• Silver
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 09:55:43 AM »
Coach are you teaching the line how joe teaches or how bill teaches because from what I see they teach the line differently.
I am teaching what I understood of what Coach Joe teaches.

I realize that it is different from what Coach Mountjoy, Gibbs and even Trickett teach.

And I am probably teaching only a sub-set of what Coach Joe teaches (at least for now).

We did it against our defense, and you could hear our O-Line talking to each others and pointing all the way to the other sideline.

My linemen are having more and more fun, and they talk to each others.

I like it. Good things are going to happen, I can feel it.

Luc

Offline Luc

• Silver
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 10:04:28 AM »
Morris

I have developed a fairly easy way to teach IZ, we don't count, nor care about covered uncovered. Our playside tackle makes a call & off we go. It's easiest to think of it as a hinge on a door. The tackle is that hinge.

Joe
I can attest that it is easy (not a lot of brain cramps and this was day 1).

I have explained to them that you have three places the D-Line can be regarding the Combo.

The easiest is when the D-Lineman is in the gap (easiest technique wise).
The second easiest is when the D-Lineman is aligned on the Lineman who is playside (both linemen reach).
The 'hard' combo is when the D-Lineman is aligned on the Lineman who is NOT playside.

I think I will prefer for them NOT to call that combo when they could let the next pair call it, but I will see when I have more film to analyze.

I also let my Linemen choose their call signs. We ended up with "chicken" for passing (no combo -- man)... Oh well, they seem to like it enough, and they have more ownership of their plays. ;)

Luc