Author Topic: Team is coming together  (Read 6665 times)

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Other
Team is coming together
« on: July 24, 2014, 07:46:19 AM »
Well we have been conditioning since June 28th - three days a week.  We have had plenty of kids on vacation but our average turn out is 14 kids on a 20 player roster so I am really please with the results.

This Saturday we start the eval process and we have started installing the offense and defense.  Right now we have the RED/BLUE SHIFT installed.  We have worked on PULL SIDE and BACKFIELD responsibilities in the power scheme, 63 STACK/FRONT SIX assignments, 63 BACK FIVE responsibilities.  We have placed a big focus on fundamentals; spending a lot of time on OL/DL 3 point stance, LB/RB stance, WR stance.  How to catch a ball, how to receive a hand off, and we have spent a lot time on TACKLING and BLOCKING progressions.

We have a solid mix of kids and this is the first time I have ever had a group of linemen that had really nice size and athletic ability so I am really excited about what we can do with the line.  We have one kid that we will need to really work with (mpp).  Every other kid has one or two things they are really good at and we can develop those into football skills.  The one mpp I am going to place in our 63 at DG behind a solid LB and DT so we can cover him up and let him develop.  Although we have not selected players for positions I am starting to see our roster take shape.  I have a good idea who will be our TB and FB.  Who will form our wall side and pull side line and I have a good idea who our CB's and DE's will be.

Tonight we work on our WEDGE SERIES and some more POWER SERIES install.

Jack
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:53:40 AM by coachgregory »
Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Team is coming together
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:34:06 AM »
So TKO looks doable at this age group?
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:47:01 AM »
So TKO looks doable at this age group?

Very much so.

We are going to focus on the WEDGE SERIES first but we are hitting power series...  Basically POWER and POWER WIDE. 

Jack

Offline Coach_O

• Gold
    • Helmet Decals
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
I'm using your evaluation drills this season and I'm also using your 63. Been using the 63 since passing league and tackle practice starts July 28th. First season I don't install my own stuff. It just made more sense for me to install a defense with mass documentation. Glad to hear your team is ramping up and getting ready for battle.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »
I'm using your evaluation drills this season and I'm also using your 63. Been using the 63 since passing league and tackle practice starts July 28th. First season I don't install my own stuff. It just made more sense for me to install a defense with mass documentation. Glad to hear your team is ramping up and getting ready for battle.

Rob,

don't hesitate to call me or email me if you need something.

PM me your current email and I will send you bunch of stuff.

Jack

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 11:57:38 AM »
Very much so.

We are going to focus on the WEDGE SERIES first but we are hitting power series...  Basically POWER and POWER WIDE. 

Jack

Outstanding :)

With only 12 practices before the first game we are going to install Buck & Belly Wedge and work on Power series (out of Comet). In indies we will work on TKO and Wedge with the line and when working Pull Side, we will work the backs in there too, so they can work on the Lead through the tunnel and the DT on DEMLOS.

Our Comet Alignment, we are going to put the back side WB behind the C, bigger and faster than our QB. The QB will be between the BB and the playside Wing.

Our Power Series out of Comet will be 26 Power, 26 Power Wide, 30 Wedge and 15 Counter.

For 30 Wedge, I hope to be able to DS to the BB, I think we will have to cheat him closer to the C to get the angle reasonable...do you think that is doable?

On the 15 counter, we hope to use a "chest pass" to the QB from the Wing Back...then the Wing fakes Power or Power Wide...

I am excited...just wondering if I am being too ambitious :)

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »
Outstanding :)

With only 12 practices before the first game we are going to install Buck & Belly Wedge and work on Power series (out of Comet). In indies we will work on TKO and Wedge with the line and when working Pull Side, we will work the backs in there too, so they can work on the Lead through the tunnel and the DT on DEMLOS.

Our Comet Alignment, we are going to put the back side WB behind the C, bigger and faster than our QB. The QB will be between the BB and the playside Wing.

Our Power Series out of Comet will be 26 Power, 26 Power Wide, 30 Wedge and 15 Counter.

For 30 Wedge, I hope to be able to DS to the BB, I think we will have to cheat him closer to the C to get the angle reasonable...do you think that is doable?

On the 15 counter, we hope to use a "chest pass" to the QB from the Wing Back...then the Wing fakes Power or Power Wide...

I am excited...just wondering if I am being too ambitious :)

I will email you the ppt's for what we are doing.

Basically RED SHIFT - RAZOR WEDGE SERIES and RED/BLUE SHIFT Power Series (power / power wide/ BB wedge).  The audibles will be our misdirection game this season.

Jack

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »
Jack

This is 2nd grade ball with your son, correct?

Very excited for the both of you !
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 03:26:46 PM »
Jack

This is 2nd grade ball with your son, correct?

Very excited for the both of you !

Correct. 

He is having fun.  He hates the conditioning part but I have already seen a huge improvement in him...  I am excited as well.

Jack

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 11:14:07 AM »
Well we have been conditioning since June 28th - three days a week.  We have had plenty of kids on vacation but our average turn out is 14 kids on a 20 player roster so I am really please with the results.

This Saturday we start the eval process and we have started installing the offense and defense.  Right now we have the RED/BLUE SHIFT installed.  We have worked on PULL SIDE and BACKFIELD responsibilities in the power scheme, 63 STACK/FRONT SIX assignments, 63 BACK FIVE responsibilities.  We have placed a big focus on fundamentals; spending a lot of time on OL/DL 3 point stance, LB/RB stance, WR stance.  How to catch a ball, how to receive a hand off, and we have spent a lot time on TACKLING and BLOCKING progressions.

We have a solid mix of kids and this is the first time I have ever had a group of linemen that had really nice size and athletic ability so I am really excited about what we can do with the line.  We have one kid that we will need to really work with (mpp).  Every other kid has one or two things they are really good at and we can develop those into football skills.  The one mpp I am going to place in our 63 at DG behind a solid LB and DT so we can cover him up and let him develop.  Although we have not selected players for positions I am starting to see our roster take shape.  I have a good idea who will be our TB and FB.  Who will form our wall side and pull side line and I have a good idea who our CB's and DE's will be.

Tonight we work on our WEDGE SERIES and some more POWER SERIES install.

Jack

WE just finalized our team roster.  Since our league rules state each player must have a starting spot we sat down and went through our roster and put together a two deep roster on both sides so we can start working the boys into their spots.

As of right now we are starting to look like a football team.  Our 3 point line stances are starting to look nice we have a few boys (4 total) that need a lot of work but they can get into the stance and the potential is there for them to get out of it effectively.  Our blocking and tackling is starting to look explosive and fundamentally sound.

We have installed the RAZOR WEDGE SERIES (3 base plays) and TB and QB POWER RIGHT.  We need to a lot of work on those plays but the pull side for the starters looks solid and the wall side is coming together and with additional work on timing and techinique we will have it. 

Defense is really going to be nice I think this year.  We have some natural hitters on the team and two of our more athletic kids are playing DE and our we only have one soft spot on the defensive line and we covered him up with a really good DT, OLB, and DE. I am really excited about the potential of the defense.  Our MIKE and CB's are a nice mix of speed, aggresiveness, and hitters with smarts.

On a personal note we had a lot of back and forth with Kaden (my son)....I wanted him at center but in the end we moved him to DT and there was a lot of talk of DE and OLB but in the end we decided to move him to DT to make the DLINE even stronger as he is one of the better tacklers and more aggresive kids.  He can play DE if needed and even OLB but I think DT along with Andy and Michael who are quick twitch/big/strong kids as well gives us the ability to wreak some havoc in the backfield.  JD is our project...great kid but right now the world is spinning for him and he tends to drift.  He is about 1/2 a step behind on get offs and anything requiring get off....needs a ton of work on techinque but placing him at DG basically covers up those things and will let him develop and gain some much needed confidence.   Kaden will be the back up center and can actually back up any of the line spots.  We have a boy we drafted (first draft pick) that we will move into center and is a tough, aggressive kid and really wants to play center.  Looking forward to seeing him develop and between him, Kaden, and another boy I have played at center last year in flag we are all set at center.

Next week we hit installs hard and heavy...and start installing kick off (onside). 

My plan on offense is to install - We have already installed RAZOR WEDGE three base plays and we have already  installed TB/QB POWER.

RED SHIFT RAZOR WEDGE BB WEDGE RT (Buck wedge out of shift using Freddy Wells motion concept - brilliant addition)
RED SHIFT RAZOR WEDGE QB WEDGE RT BOOT (RUPO with PULL TE - who has nice hands and can move)
RED SHIFT RAZOR WEDGE TB WEDGE RT SWEEP

RED SHIFT TB POWER RIGHT // BLUE SHIFT TB POWER LEFT
RED SHIFT QB POWER RIGHT // BLUE SHIFT QB POWER LEFT
RED SHIFT TB POWER WIDE RIGHT // BLUE SHIFT TB POWER WIDE RIGHT
RED SHIFT BB WEDGE RIGHT // BLUE SHIFT BB WEDGE LEFT

By end of practice next Saturday I plan on having this all installed on offense.

Once we get this to point that we can scrimmage with it I will install POWER PASS RIGHT and our basic misdirection audibles (RAZZLE/WAR/SPIKE/TWISTER/SWING)

Really happy with the progress and effort the boys are putting out on the field.

Jack

Offline lakerross

• Copper
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 06:28:32 PM »
Hey Jack.  Glad to here your son is progressing and doing well.  Today was our first day of full gear (no contact for another 10 hours- rules mandate 20 hours of conditioning before any player can have live contact).  The hardest thing right now is so many equipment issues with 6-7 year olds (15 have never played football before).  Anyways, we have spent alot of time on fundamentals - just as described in your Triple B Playbook (Blocking, Tackling, Ball handling).  We have 23  players on the roster and eventhough we havent been able to hit, we have began assigning "initial' positions based on evaluations.  We have a very good tailback, a smart hardworking Qb, and a fb who is a big kid who is aggressive and eager to work hard.  We began teaching pulling and TKO back in June with all of our players from the 2pt stance and although we will not run it initially the kids have picked it very well.  We began installing the Buck and Fenton series this week and so far the players are really picking it up.  the 10 perfect plays drill at a good tempo really keeps them focused and gives me a chance to fix timing.  I use the 10 perfect plays to teach the 3 formations we are working on (DW (WE CALL IT eagle), Bear and Bull.  I have them line up in Eagle as their base and after the center says "Ready" they shift into the play call formation (Bear or bull).  In doing that, we hope to cause some confusion for the little guys on defense and their coaches and keep them reacting. 

We have spent alot of time developing the strength (upper and lower body) of our players and doing the enduro drills.  We do alot of bear crawling and tire flips in competitive races and have found that my weakest and least athletic players can better maintain their 2pt and 3 pt stance.

The biggest thing is our awards.  Today we gave out our first team awards for Most focused, Best leadership, and Most Improved.  The parents and kids loved it.

My main question is what is Razor Wedge series that you are running.

Thanks for all the tips and for a great playbook.

I would love to ask you a few questions on teaching the wedge.  Having a few concerns around personnel and maintaining the mesh.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Hey Jack.  Glad to here your son is progressing and doing well.  Today was our first day of full gear (no contact for another 10 hours- rules mandate 20 hours of conditioning before any player can have live contact).  The hardest thing right now is so many equipment issues with 6-7 year olds (15 have never played football before).  Anyways, we have spent alot of time on fundamentals - just as described in your Triple B Playbook (Blocking, Tackling, Ball handling).  We have 23  players on the roster and eventhough we havent been able to hit, we have began assigning "initial' positions based on evaluations.  We have a very good tailback, a smart hardworking Qb, and a fb who is a big kid who is aggressive and eager to work hard.  We began teaching pulling and TKO back in June with all of our players from the 2pt stance and although we will not run it initially the kids have picked it very well.  We began installing the Buck and Fenton series this week and so far the players are really picking it up.  the 10 perfect plays drill at a good tempo really keeps them focused and gives me a chance to fix timing.  I use the 10 perfect plays to teach the 3 formations we are working on (DW (WE CALL IT eagle), Bear and Bull.  I have them line up in Eagle as their base and after the center says "Ready" they shift into the play call formation (Bear or bull).  In doing that, we hope to cause some confusion for the little guys on defense and their coaches and keep them reacting. 

We have spent alot of time developing the strength (upper and lower body) of our players and doing the enduro drills.  We do alot of bear crawling and tire flips in competitive races and have found that my weakest and least athletic players can better maintain their 2pt and 3 pt stance.

The biggest thing is our awards.  Today we gave out our first team awards for Most focused, Best leadership, and Most Improved.  The parents and kids loved it.

My main question is what is Razor Wedge series that you are running.

Thanks for all the tips and for a great playbook.

I would love to ask you a few questions on teaching the wedge.  Having a few concerns around personnel and maintaining the mesh.

It is just BUCK WEDGE out of SHIFT with AWAY motion by the TB...Freddy Wells came up with it.

Jack

Offline JB

• Silver
  • "Hang Tough! Never, ever, give up"-Maj. D. Winters
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 04:47:33 PM »
Good luck Jack.
"The big lesson in life, baby, is to never be scared of anyone or anything." Frank Sinatra

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »
This week we went HELMETS and SHOULDER PADS.  Man the little guys everything can be a distraction and adding the shoulder pads with it being so hot out was a distraction.  Tuesday practice we only got about 50% of our defensive practice in as we spent a lot of time herding mice and taknig water breaks.  We did get our tackling stations in and it was our first go around with one on one tackling and it looked rough but we can clean that up.  Corners looked good in group, DE's got some solid drill time, but our DL and LB's are really struggling right now.  Saturday practice we will focus in on defense and get it all cleaned up.  We did walk through our onside kick off and the kids did really good understanding the rules and concepts we taught so that was a plus.

Thursday practice was completely different.  I tried something different and I think it helped with the boys keeping them movtivated.  We do practice at my house and at each water break I would get them lined up and hose them down with water to cool them off and it seemed to help to get their attention off the heat.  Our blocking chutes period is starting to pay off kids are really starting to hit and block violently.  Starting to get competitive with the boys which is a good sign.  We broke  up into groups (line and backs).  Line worked on wedge progression and we are now exploding into the wedge and moving consistently downt the field for 10 to 12 yards and holding the wedge.  Big coaching points at this age.....slow down....power walk...mesh your inside hip together with the man next to you..really tighens up the wedge.  Our line is a big strength this year and they are way ahead of the backs right now.  Razor Wedge Series is in (three basic plays).  The offensive line looked really good in team but we do need to tighen up on consistency as they fatigue and get tired.  Saw a big drop off in execution after the 12th play or so...  I want to get them to a point we can do 24 to 30 reps and not see a big drop off.   

We finished with a 10 minute enduro session all dynamic movements....boys did great.  One of our starting OLB's and back up QB (great athlete) was crying at the beginning of it because he played QB the entire time in group and team so we was pretty tired.  As did the routine I got down and starting pushign him and having fun...he started laughing and motivating the other boys....  We ended on a high not yelling HOOLIGANS and doing the enduro it was fun to watch.  We have been pusing them really hard physically and emotionally and it is starting to payoff.  Team is coming together and we are starting to look like a team of football players.

Saturday practice is more defense, team reps on offense, and walk through ONSIDE KO once more.  Hit the pool and BBQ some hotdogs and burgers after practice. I will say being able to have practice at the house really has helped with the team bonding.  Kids have really come together and are believing in each other.  I get to hang out with the coaches more as well so our staff has gotten really tight as well.  All around very solid group of kids and coaches.

Jack
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:56:19 AM by coachgregory »