Author Topic: season in review  (Read 351 times)

Offline sabot6d

• Copper
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Head Coach
season in review
« on: October 21, 2014, 12:19:26 AM »
We just had our last game. We are a small org with no national affiliation or playoffs. We play 6 games total every year and the last one gets televised locally.

We ran the R&S this year. I'm a second year coach who admittedly has a ton to learn. I moved up to 5th-6th grade this year.

This offense has great potential and I think even if you don't run it there are some great concepts that could help any team. If you decide to run it have a good and dedicated offensive line coach. My assistants took on calling them Hawaii because we had 5 little islands right in the middle. If they have a tough day then you will too.

We finished 3-3. Which should put us in a tie with 2 other teams. We have 6 teams in our division. Going into our last games we had 3 teams 3-2 and 3 at  2-3. Which is exactly what our board hopes for when drafting. 

The three games that our line played great we blew our opponents out handily. When they didn't it wasn't pretty. 2 of those were tight games because our D carried us and one we got whipped because nobody wanted to play and I couldn't find a way to fire them up. We lost tonight in double overtime. It was heartbreaking and even though I don't drink I walked off the field really wanting a shot.

We tweaked a few things from DCs manual to try and have an official run game. The first game was ugly and I felt the need to diversify. It worked well. All dedicated runs were from motion which we used quite a bit of in passing as well.

My QB was more Peyton Manning than he was Cam Newton. If he took off he wasn't going to get us 40 yards without some great downfield blocking but he could throw well and he read defenses real well for a 10 year old. I'll call it now and say as long as he doesn't have any weird growth spurts he could end up playing at a level higher that high school.

One requirement of this offense is a QB that is a multi threat player. We were in a spot with players where if I wanted legs I had to give up the arm and a kid this gifted I couldn't ignore him.

As receivers I had two that could barely catch but due to our mpp rules I couldn't place them anywhere else effectively and that spot hurt us least. My son was one of them. Great at running off coverage to help others get open but if you want to pass to him you almost need to under hand throw it and then say a prayer.

So many things on my mind looking back but it's all kind of a blur at the moment. If you have any questions about our successes or failures, problems, pit falls or points of interest feel free to ask. I'm happy to answer.

Overall feelings are this, an experienced and decent coach could probably do crazy and amazing things. A second year coach with a lot to learn will probably ride the roller coaster but it is a fun ride. Check with your doctor to see if your heart can handle it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:45:12 PM by sabot6d »

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • "What me worry? I'm not far enough behind yet!"
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: DC Wing T
Re: season in review
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:12:43 PM »
Can you tel us what plays you added to the offense that worked?
"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

Offline sabot6d

• Copper
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »
You label the tight ends as x and y I changed those labels to the two trips receivers. I called the TEs lion and ram to differentiate. I'll list the plays from wide right.

X jet sweep (average 12 yards per carry)
X jet lion reverse ( ran it 6 times, 4 tds of 40+, 1 fumbled handoff and 15 yard loss) - lion was a great runner so in open space he was gone.
Y yoyo lead (IZ with motion across then back to lead block) Y receiver was a big boy with wheels. (10 yards per carry avg.
Z sink option (Z motions behind QB sweeps till 1st unblocked defender commits then either cuts up field or pitches to Z) ran this one a lot almost always pitched and it went for no less than 5 mostly 15 and a quarter of the time it went to the house.
Z jet swing (swing pass to Z underneath Ram, X and Y on far routes)
X-Y pitch and catch ( hook and lateral play just renamed it to sound more fun with the kids) only ran it once but it worked.
X wham ram sweep (X motion to crack right TE takes handoff sweeping left.) This play went to my undersized and not aggressive son. He had wheels but wasn't a natural RB. When he caught the edge he was gone. It was a 50/50 play for us. Either 20+ or no gain. Never a loss though.

I know adding all of that in goes against the concept of the R&S. I noticed a lot of defenses make some weird adjustments to bring pressure. We played 1 3-6 inverted cover 2 that caused confusion for my boys. 3 LBs always blitzed but they mixed it up which caused the confusion for who blocked who. They played decent zone coverage which threw off my QB because most teams went man so it was easy to find the open areas.

Most teams just tried to bring pressure with 7 or 8 and pray for a bad snap or bad throw which did happen every now and again. It took quite a few reps for my QB to get his internal timer right. He was holding the ball to long at the start of the season wanting to see the open man rather than trust the system. Once I earned his trust it was much better.

The biggest problems that we had in our losses were in my opinion coaching failures either the line wasn't using proper technique or getting intimidated by the size of the man across from them or I didn't properly prepare them for some of the situations we ran into. If our opponent scored first it was a long game. If we scored first it was over before halftime and I couldn't figure out how to get them out of the funk if we started down.

Offline chucknduck

• Copper
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:06:51 AM »
Nice job coach.   I have respect for coaches that go against the grain.  Looks like a fun  offense.

Offline sabot6d

• Copper
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:54:04 AM »
Thank you. The Board was very critical at first of the offense even though they had no clue what we were doing as a whole. The just saw spread no huddle and immediately thought I was a moron. By the end of the season our middle school coach asked to see the manual because he thought there were some great things we were doing that they hadn't thought of. His son was my QB so he had a bit more knowledge of what was going on than the other more experienced coaches and board members.

I think a better coach wouldn't necessarily have to add any of the stuff we did and still be very successful. I needed to resort to a few (tricks and gimmicks) additions to help where I was not up to par.