Author Topic: Need help defending this !!  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Bruceja

• Bronze
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Need help defending this !!
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:40:38 PM »
X                        T G C G T E     
                                Q                      Y              Z
                                F

TE/Trips to the right and a serious STUD at the X position to the left. The x is like 6'2", and can jump like a beast. They had 271 yards passing last week and this is middle school. They run slant/flat with y and z. They run verticals. They run the wheel. and they also run the fullback dive left and right. I KNOW i am going to have to have 2 guys on X. maybe a press and zone behind it. What else to do??

ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME!! We run Jacks 6-3.......

Hop in here Jack if u can!

Thanks

Offline patriotsfatboy1

• Benefactors
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Offense: Double Wing
Re: Need help defending this !!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 10:22:01 AM »
Sorry if this is a day late and a dollar short, but I would run spread against this on their right and maybe come with my OLB on their left periodically (alternate coming hard and sitting into the flat to stop their X on a slant).  I would have my CB on their left be my best athlete and I would have him play with inside leverage so that they have to throw over the top.  Even with a tall guy like that, the QB still is going to have to go over you to feed his stud.

The reality is, if they have better athletes on the outside, then you have to prevent them from getting the ball, so you need to pressure them up front and have the QB scrambling for his life on every snap.  I would run some stunts with my DT's and DG's because they are going to be blocking 6 or 7 guys with 6 or 7 guys and you don't want them to know who they are going to have on each block. 

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 12:46:49 PM »
How'd you do?

I would have said primarily defend the short passes and rush enough guys to put the QB on his back before he can throw the longer ones...

Offline Bruceja

• Bronze
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 08:16:32 AM »
We actually play them in 3 weeks so we have a little wile to prepare. My brother-in-law coaches for this team so I HAVE TO WIN!!! haha. I was thinking about spread to the trips side and bump my DE to play man on the stud with corner in zone over the top and run gap to the stud side to get pressure on the QB. Thoughts?

Offline patriotsfatboy1

• Benefactors
  • Gold
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »
We actually play them in 3 weeks so we have a little wile to prepare. My brother-in-law coaches for this team so I HAVE TO WIN!!! haha. I was thinking about spread to the trips side and bump my DE to play man on the stud with corner in zone over the top and run gap to the stud side to get pressure on the QB. Thoughts?

If it were me, I would have my DE on that side ready to get in the face of the QB.  Work on the line's ball get off so that they are putting constant pressure.  If you are dropping guys into coverage on that, then you are probably playing into their hands.  There are other defenses that are more geared towards coverage, but this defense is about putting pressure in the backfield.

If you want to have someone double that spot, I would use the OLB on that side to have the underneath.  He is going to be outside of the DE on Spread and he has the flat anyway. 

Offline Joker number 8

• Bronze
  • FKA Adolphrollingover
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 01:11:59 PM »
In obvious passing downs I would move into the 50 front and put the extra standing defender in press coverage and bring max pressure.
Todd

Offline patriotsfatboy1

• Benefactors
  • Gold
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »
In obvious passing downs I would move into the 50 front and put the extra standing defender in press coverage and bring max pressure.

I have one of my DT's move to OLB and shift one of the OLB's to Mike so that I have 2 mikes. The DG on the side where the DT moved to OLB, goes to DT and the remaining DG becomes a Nose. It is essentially a 5-4 set.  Not sure that I like it enough to recommend it though. 

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 07:14:12 PM »
This is completely away from Jacks D but you may (if you really want to stop one guy) stone him at the line with 2 "splitting" him. then treat him like a gunner in a punt situation and hope your DEs hunt and kill the ball before it leaves the QBs hands.
Its a pick your poison.
My sons MS team in 7th-8th grade scored 40 points a game and killed the competition. We seen every way to try and stop them. If they are as good as you say, they will just find another way.... The good ones always do.

Always refer to Jack though as my info is no where near his.
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 08:28:43 PM »
..C..............................................................C
................................M..................
..........OLB........................................OLB.
..................DE....T.G.....G...T.....DE
X                        T G C G T E     
                                Q                      Y              Z
                                F

Put a clock on the QB with WSDE.  Zone Drop the WSOLB to cover X Under.  Gapping the G and Putting the T over the TE to delay his release.  Now its completely up to you to decide to play coverage to the trips side OR attack the backfield FB cant block both DE's.  Personally since I am going head up on the TE with a Tackle, I say head straight for the QB with Trips Side DE. 

Think Outside the Box and adjust to what is happening on the field.  Since they use X as thier big play guy I have covered over and under.  WSDE is free to attack as is the Trips side DE. 

Its all in the book, just piece parts of one and the other. The frame work remains SOUND! 

just Dusty's thoughts.   ;)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Bruceja

• Bronze
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 10:25:55 PM »
well their stud was out with a concussion. When they got in this formation we stoned TE with T and E and played press on WRs. That way we could leave two backers to help stop belly, which they ran a lot. Ended up winning pretty big despite both our teams being mangled with injuries. The DC for that team is my brother-in-law so Christmas was great this year!!