Author Topic: IZ steps with shades  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
IZ steps with shades
« on: December 09, 2014, 06:03:22 PM »
Can someone clarify the RG zone steps for IZ going to the right?
I know that in the number system C takes the 1 tech, G has the B and T has the 5.
My question is if G is combo with C to B, is G's first step with his right foot towards B and then back to 1 or does he step with his left foot directly towards 1 on his first step? I guess the same question could be asked of g and his combo block with t up to M.

................M.......B
.........t...g...C...G...T...Y

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Other
Re: IZ steps with shades
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »
Ill take a crack at it, RG will step with left foot and put out the flipper and dbl the nose till he climbs to the backer.

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/g93EEqsrYBM

Check out the whole series, imo these are some if the best zone vids ive seen for free

Offline Texan

• Silver
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »

I know that in the number system C takes the 1 tech, G has the B and T has the 5.

This.

I would not introduce thinking about a guy "behind his ear hole".  If blocked right, big lane to bend back in A.  We teach our BST to cut 3-techs too both IZ and OZ.  Seems to work.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »
Here's the Deal.  You can indeed have designed Combo's in place Ace, Deuce, Trey!  However, unlike a "Proper" Zone Running Game, you are essentially dictating where the ball is going because of the Combination call.  If you aren't you're wasting a blocker in my opinion.

Texan is right I would not introduce the backside flipper right off, simply to ensure they are mastering the play side zone progressions.   I will indeed creep the backside help in (as the video suggests) after we are working the basics of zone well enough. 

Lets also remember that we DONT CHASE A BLOCK.  If after I have provided that back side flipper the LB has taken himself out of the play because of play action or motion, they must know not to chase him and simply get up field and cut off flow.  First Ugly. 
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 10-1
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 12:38:21 AM »
Rg will slip the 1 tech to lb

Mountjoy answered this for you previousley
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 09:12:59 AM »
Heres an easy way to think about who to combo with

Who is the closest def line threat to you ?

Honostly me I wouldnt slip this because now we start blocking fronts and think too much.

If we just count the 2 lanes are there.

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 10:33:16 AM »
Imo if you dont flip with the RG if its a quick 1 he can get through before the center can get on his block

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 11:10:31 AM »
Imo if you dont flip with the RG if its a quick 1 he can get through before the center can get on his block

From my experiance its not an issue. You just stretch him is all.

Thats why u only teach zone blocking one way and run two plays.

You want vertical push like these college coaches then slip a 1or g tech.

If youre a youth coach and want consistency in your zone and blocking count and square up on your guy and get in a good fit or at the very least stretch his ass.

Offline DL

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 11:53:04 AM »
Rg will slip the 1 tech to lb

Mountjoy answered this for you previousley

Define slip please.

For me, I was a zone newbie last year, I went to it mid season and did some trial and error with it as I installed it.   It was very successful for our team and reignited our offense.   I wouldn't advise anyone changing schemes mid season, but I had little choice in the matter as I tried to do some advanced and experimental stuff initially that this team and staff just wasn't mentally ready for or cut out to do.    I misread some of our kids early and tried to do too much without enough help. 

Anyway, I ended up having the RG step to him so center could get on him.   Then he quickly went to LB.

It wasn't so hard for my guards to step in and then recover to the LB.   Conversely, it was hard for my center to snap and make a block on a gap or 1 tech one on one.  Probably because my guards were just better football players than my center AND they weren't burdened with snapping.   

I tried stepping playside initially and quick kids would split that gap before center could get on him or wash him across.   If forced to block 1 on 1, he would often hold.    If the guard stepping playside were to use a flipper he would be just flippering air unless we went tighter splits or we settled like guy in video was saying which we weren't doing.   He could step into him and use a flipper or club.   I just had him use hands and one handed punch to LB.   

Stepping to the help on zone and going from there, while not technically correct according to most, solved a lot of problems for me and kept the guards more aggressive. 

I decided to cut the 3 tech as well as above poster and it worked well for me too.

If you can get a center who can snap and handle a 1 tech by himself you would have a very good O line.   That kid is rare I think.

Another benefit to a basic zone scheme is by always stepping to a DL forward on run or pass you can't read the uncovered linemen as to run or pass.   It always looks same initially.

Downside is pass protection is not all it could be against dropping LB's and outside rushing DE's.   I started telling uncovered guard or tackle (non-back side) to quickly take his step toward DL and check LB and if LB wasn't coming to drop off and take DE who usually was always coming and ride him past the QB.

I think a full season of zone I could be very successful running the ball.   We were very successful running the ball in second half of season last year.   

Probably averaged over 10 yards a carry.   Which is kind of incredible considering I installed it by myself midseason on the fly and reshuffled entire backfield and had to coach backs and Oline together.   

We were still a very average team in spite of this, why that was is a long story.   Running scheme worked very well though.   Definitely going to do it again.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »
How to Coach Offensive Line : How to do an Offens…: http://youtu.be/PPeIjCLZups

We slipped 2 years ago...we slipped this year vs one team...we always check playside dlineman when uncovered before climbing to our numbered defender.

Offline defensewins

• Bronze
  • Coaching: College
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 12:52:33 PM »
This.

I would not introduce thinking about a guy "behind his ear hole".  If blocked right, big lane to bend back in A.  We teach our BST to cut 3-techs too both IZ and OZ.  Seems to work.

we never teach a backside cut on IZ.  OZ, of course, but never IZ.  That is putting a defender in a potential cutback lane and muddying the waters for the RB.

we would combo the PSG and C to the B.  PSG steps with his LEFT foot first in this case.  This creates more movement of the NG and more room for the RB to operate in.  We actually prefer to run IZ to the shade and 5 tech side so we can get this combo.

Offline JohnM71

• Copper
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 10:45:22 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I don't see how PSG would step to the backside if this is true zone.  He should step playside, check the 5, then climb to B.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 11:43:58 AM »
John

Vs an under front (1 & 5) our guard would Zone step, but he is punching with the inside hand looking to work to the backer. We love running Zone to the Under Side, it's a win win. We get 2 combo's.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline JohnM71

• Copper
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 11:55:20 AM »
John

Vs an under front (1 & 5) our guard would Zone step, but he is punching with the inside hand looking to work to the backer. We love running Zone to the Under Side, it's a win win. We get 2 combo's.

Joe

Thanks, Joe.