Author Topic: Shotgun or UTC Double wing  (Read 6262 times)

Offline Bruceja

• Bronze
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Shotgun or UTC Double wing
« on: December 14, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »
Some one sell me on one or the other. Or could you just do both? It seems that you would miss out on the quick hitting fullback game out of the shotgun. But I see people having a ton of success with Murphy's and Cox's stuff. Thoughts?

Offline CoachCalande

• Platinum
  • Its never been "My bad"
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Double Wing
Re: Shotgun or UTC Double wing
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 03:33:22 PM »
I have done both.  My qb isn't a big strong runner, hes more of a game manager and passer, a ball handler...so we are under center, essentially, I don't think we have to have the same kind of players on the field.  I absolutely agree, the fullback game from the under center offense is MUCH BETTER in my experience.

The shot gun stuff has some advantages and some disadvantages as well.   The under center approach has some advantages and some disadvantages as well. Think it through....
MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

Offline Bruceja

• Bronze
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 04:38:14 PM »
Couldn't you just have a call that puts you in either or? Run it from UTC sometimes and shotgun sometimes? Blocking scheme stays the same. Assuming you hav a decent runner at QB.

Offline CoachCalande

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 05:59:40 PM »
Couldn't you just have a call that puts you in either or? Run it from UTC sometimes and shotgun sometimes? Blocking scheme stays the same. Assuming you hav a decent runner at QB.

Yes, absolutely.

Practice time can be the question...now you just cut your gun snaps in half, your under center snaps in half....and you still have to develop backups...

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 07:16:24 PM »
Yes, absolutely.

Practice time can be the question...now you just cut your gun snaps in half, your under center snaps in half....and you still have to develop backups...

Exactly why I didn't go direct snap at all this year.  Stayed UTC.  I only have a week and a half TOPS before the first game starts in Pop Warner.  Thats about 20 hours total.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Offline Rjdafoe

• Copper
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 07:27:30 PM »
Exactly why I didn't go direct snap at all this year.  Stayed UTC.  I only have a week and a half TOPS before the first game starts in Pop Warner.  Thats about 20 hours total.

Don't you start August 1?

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 09:33:30 PM »
Don't you start August 1?

Yes, we can't start till August 1st.  Our first game is usually Aug 15th.  Can only go 10 hours a week for 2 weeks than the first game.  I would rather perfect the UTC instead of doing both.

What I did do however, is when we had one of our MPR players as a Center in our 2nd string offense "single wing" that center exclusively practiced shotgun and was never UTC.

Offline Rjdafoe

• Copper
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 12:05:52 AM »
Yes, we can't start till August 1st.  Our first game is usually Aug 15th.  Can only go 10 hours a week for 2 weeks than the first game.  I would rather perfect the UTC instead of doing both.

What I did do however, is when we had one of our MPR players as a Center in our 2nd string offense "single wing" that center exclusively practiced shotgun and was never UTC.

Wow our first game is not until September.   We get the entire month of August.  I am in pop warner as well.

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 07:07:13 AM »
Wow our first game is not until September.   We get the entire month of August.  I am in pop warner as well.

Really?  How many games do you play?  We play 1 "kickoff classic" like a scrimmage, 2 non conference and 6 conference games before playoffs.  2 playoff games and then the 1 region championship, 3 regional and then the state champ game before disney.

Offline Rjdafoe

• Copper
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 09:01:58 AM »
Really?  How many games do you play?  We play 1 "kickoff classic" like a scrimmage, 2 non conference and 6 conference games before playoffs.  2 playoff games and then the 1 region championship, 3 regional and then the state champ game before disney.

Time is not really an issue for us it seems like it is for you.

We play 7 regular season games before playoffs.  1 playoff game then the area championship game.  After that is regionals.  Our area seems to be a lot smaller than yours.  Btw, we are in Div 3, so we stop at regional championship.

We usually get 2 scrimmages in before our first game.

Although there is a few organ in the area that are in Div 2 and it is played the same.

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 04:51:22 PM »
We start Aug 1, our first game is the weekend after Labor Day.  So we usually get 5 weeks of practice before our first game - 4 weeks of 10 hours, the last week after Labor Day is 6 hours.  Our org usually schedules 4 scrimmages.  I'd prefer two or maybe three, hard to get what you need done when you have two practices and two scrimmages in a week. 

So it breaks down to a week with no pads, then a week in pads, then two weeks of 2 practices and two scrimmages, then three practices the week leading into our first game.  I think that's plenty of time, and have advocated to our org that we start the second week of August to try to help with recruitment and retention, since the #1 complaint I hear from parents is that they hate losing August.  I rarely hear concussions from the parents of kids not playing, it's always "too much time commitment".

We have an 8 game regular season then playoffs.  Our conference has 4 leagues with 2 teams per league making playoffs, so there are 3 playoff games to get to Region.  Then in regional playoffs there are another 2 or 3 games.  Typically the New England finals are the Saturday after Thanksgiving, so to go to Disney out of our conference you'd end up playing 12 or 13 games total.  You may have to play a mid-week playoff game in addition to a weekend game depending on numbers and the draw.

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 09:22:31 PM »
I wish we had that much time.  We get 1 week of no pads, 1 week of pads (conditioning) then the following week of full pads and that saturday is our first game.

Offline CoachCalande

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 05:09:03 AM »
Even at the hs level many of the teams that run shotgun based offenses struggle with execution due to poor snaps.  We blitz a lot and I know it bothers the centers.  We see that ball snapped high over the qbs head...or chucked to either side blowing execution on jet sweep and zone read etc.

Offline cbrm

• Bronze
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 12:15:20 PM »
Some one sell me on one or the other. Or could you just do both? It seems that you would miss out on the quick hitting fullback game out of the shotgun. But I see people having a ton of success with Murphy's and Cox's stuff. Thoughts?

My experience:

After implementing the snap demonstrated at last year's DWS, my direct snap problems went away.  Here are some similar versions (UTC snap is held and delivered in the same way):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD_CK40dnXs#t=133
http://www.coachwyatt.com/centersnap.mov
http://www.coachwyatt.com/WCCENTERSNAP/WCCENTERSNAP.mov

Except for when we needed to spike the ball this season, we were 100% shotgun or direct.

If I can effectively (and efficiently) teach UTC QB footwork, we will do both next season, because in my mind we have conquered our Center/QB exchange issues with this snap.

Brian

Do right by Him, and you'll do right by them.