Author Topic: One-Tasker (MPP) Use  (Read 4747 times)

Offline CoachSugg

• Bronze
  • Work Hard! Play Hard!!
  • Coaching: 9 & Under
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
One-Tasker (MPP) Use
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »
When running the JJ's Simple DW where would you place a "One-Tasker"?  Where would you place a 2nd "One-Tasker"?

I typically have 4-5 each year that need to be "positioned for success."  I use them in the A-Gaps on D but also need a spot to rotate them in on O.  Where would you recommend??

Thanks!!
Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
Re: One-Tasker (MPP) Use
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 09:35:31 PM »
In JJ's Simple DW I would put them at Wall G and Quick TE.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Offline Ronin

• Silver
  • Work hard! Play hard!
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 08:55:51 AM »
I put them on backside OT.  We only pull backside OG, so the OT will "Superman" block.

Offline CoachSugg

• Bronze
  • Work Hard! Play Hard!!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:48:16 AM »
I put them on backside OT.  We only pull backside OG, so the OT will "Superman" block.

I was thinking that too.  If I pulled both backside OT and OG, then put a 1-tasker at TE, no way he'd be able to keep the backside penetration at bay for even a second.

I'll see how the kids actually turn out in the fall, would be tough to get a good backside OT into the hole in time to help at this age anyways.
Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

Offline Ronin

• Silver
  • Work hard! Play hard!
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »
I'll see how the kids actually turn out in the fall, would be tough to get a good backside OT into the hole in time to help at this age anyways.

We tried to pull both early in the season and had more issues with traffic jams than anything else.  So we resorted to pulling the BSOG only and found ourselves to be way more successful.

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 02:24:11 PM »
Yeah, we started off with 2 pullers, and my single taskers (I like that) were my Wall T (protected by a nice Wall G and Wall TE) and my Pulling TE...then my C broke his leg, so I needed to adjust fire...moved my pulling T to C, so I moved my Wall T to Pulling T, and had him Down block on the back side...
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline CoachSugg

• Bronze
  • Work Hard! Play Hard!!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 02:54:24 PM »
Yeah, we started off with 2 pullers, and my single taskers (I like that) were my Wall T (protected by a nice Wall G and Wall TE) and my Pulling TE...then my C broke his leg, so I needed to adjust fire...moved my pulling T to C, so I moved my Wall T to Pulling T, and had him Down block on the back side...

Spider, was your QTE able to get his superman block effectively and consistently enough for you to not let any penetration effect the toss?  This is pre-injury of course.
Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 03:06:21 PM »
Spider, was your QTE able to get his superman block effectively and consistently enough for you to not let any penetration effect the toss?  This is pre-injury of course.

He was able to get the guy slowed down just enough...by no means was it a crushing block...he was the smallest kid on my oline, 55 pounds, but once he understood what we wanted him to do, you'd have to shoot him in order for him not to give it his best, the biggest challenge we had initially was getting him to understand we did not care about the backside DE, do no block him, do not chase him, ignore him :) and this was on both Wedge and TKO...if he had a DE lined up over him or outside shade, he wanted to go block him...took about 2 games for him to stop chasing the DE, and he didn't always chase him...that part puzzled me, sometime he would do his job, sometimes he would lose his mind and chase the DE  ::)

That said, we didn't run power out of DTDW, we ran it out of Comet (Beast), at least until the end of the season, last two games, and no, the backside pressure was not fast enough to run down the Wing Backs on Power...of course by that time, we had both the backside TE and Tackle dealing with the backside.
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 02:30:34 PM »
I sub in groupings - while not "the best" way to do it, it's the best way for me to do it so I can keep track of everything.  So I have a "first" and a "second" O.

We usually have one or two kids that have no business playing football, kids where I consider it to be "coaching them up" if we can get them to actually try to engage a defender vs. actively avoid contact.

Generally, I place those kids at QTE and QT (in that order) on the back up O. I don't pull anyone on that O, so they really only need to be a speed bump.  If we get more out of them, great.

Generally, my priority of positions on the O, from least important, is this:

QTE second O
QT second O
QTE first O
QT first O
SG second O
SG first O

If I have to seriously worry about placing more than 4 or 5 kids, then it really isn't going to matter because we will absolutely suck.

Offline CoachSugg

• Bronze
  • Work Hard! Play Hard!!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »
If I have to seriously worry about placing more than 4 or 5 kids, then it really isn't going to matter because we will absolutely suck.

I typically rotate those 4-5 kids into the same position(s) every 2 plays. (LE in UBSW for example) (A-Gapper on D)

Over my 3 years.  I typically have 18-22 kids. 

2-4 kids that are soul of team, rarely leave the field. (Heart, ability, work ethic, coach-able)  Athletic ability fairly good, but not necessarily dominant)
8-10 kids are consistent contributors (can be counted on to learn a position(s) and work hard consistently) 
3-4 that are middle area, high-end 1-Taskers, can do that One Task fairly well.  Borderline contributor.  Maybe younger kid that will be contributor next year.
4-5 legit 1-Taskers: extreme size issues, questionable want to, timid, parents make them play...

All of which can be improved by coaching, and all play and contribute.  But in general that's a fair assessment of a breakdown.
Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »
I decided not to rotate as I had trouble keeping everything straight that way.

I use the second offense both to guarantee kids get their MPR, but also to make sure I'm getting reps for kids at certain positions, and rest for two way starters. 

For instance, I had a kid starting on D that I also had playing strong T on the second O.  He didn't need plays on O, but I wanted him to learn the spot. By using him with that group, I KNOW he's getting 12 plays a game at strong T in case I need him due to injury.  Otherwise, maybe he gets a few snaps there.  Or maybe not if I don't remember.  Plus, he strengthens that second O since he's a good player.  Sometimes even better than the offensive starter...

Same idea the other way - starting FB who is also our R on D (most important position) - I know he's getting off the field for 12 plays while the back up O is on the field.

My challenge is training back ups on D, but we have enough blow-outs where I can make sure I get kids time in those spots.

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
    • Winning Youth Football Coaching Site
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 04:27:51 PM »
I typically rotate those 4-5 kids into the same position(s) every 2 plays. (LE in UBSW for example) (A-Gapper on D)

2-4 kids that are soul of team, rarely leave the field. (Heart, ability, work ethic, coach-able)  Athletic ability fairly good, but not necessarily dominant)
8-10 kids are consistent contributors (can be counted on to learn a position(s) and work hard consistently) 
3-4 that are middle area, high-end 1-Taskers, can do that One Task fairly well.  Borderline contributor.  Maybe younger kid that will be contributor next year.
4-5 legit 1-Taskers: extreme size issues, questionable want to, timid, parents make them play...

All of which can be improved by coaching, and all play and contribute.  But in general that's a fair assessment of a breakdown.

That's reality in non select- no cut, not gonna run kids off, cant send them down to B team youth football
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.

Winston Churchill

Offline CoachSugg

• Bronze
  • Work Hard! Play Hard!!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »
That's reality in non select- no cut, not gonna run kids off, cant send them down to B team youth football

Yes sir it is.  That's us to a T. 

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »

I actually think we're in better shape there.  I'd say we usually have 3-5 kids at the top rung, and only 1-2 at the bottom rung.  Maybe a few more in that second lowest rung, we usually have 5-6 kids that aren't much use this year due to size/age/timidity, but there's hope for the future.

Offline CoachSugg

• Bronze
  • Work Hard! Play Hard!!
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 10:02:56 PM »
And even with that roster we've take 2nd, 1st, and 2nd in our league. 
Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK