Author Topic: LB reading doesn't cause dancing?  (Read 11522 times)

Offline CmartCoach

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: LB reading doesn't cause dancing?
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 07:28:34 AM »
Joe.

Zone right, gun. RB Downhill to the tackles butt. Press his heels. Read PS LB nearest to the football.  Stick a foot in the ground and take the B gap if LB sits or fills A gap. LB scrapes, takes away B gap-stick foot and hit C gap.

So far is that correct? If so, I know you wait to add the "backdoor cut" what read would spell that cut? Or it's just a feel? Meaning if you don't see a Frontside crease, cut back across the grain.

Do you get any more specific than that? I ask because I really like the right/wrong nature of DLM reads and I'd love to have a right/wrong set of reads for my RB. Do you treat your lb reads as right/wrong?
Cmart

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2015, 07:41:28 AM »
Cmart

If the backer scrapes the RB replaces means he hits A or B gap when the LB scrapes. IF the LB comes downhill then he looks to C gap. Draw it up & look.

The back door is what we will progress to, don't worry about that in the beginning.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline CmartCoach

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2015, 12:38:31 PM »
Joe

I understand that. I do not plan to install that right away. Just trying to wrap my head around the whole LB read concept. I think I may be getting close...
Cmart

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »
When I first started teaching our backs to read the ILB, my coaches were thinking it was too much & would cause dancing as Cmart was asking

Ha.  I thought the OP was talking about Linebackers dancing.  lol

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2015, 12:38:42 PM »
DP

I have actually seen guys teach OLB's to take a gallop step on the snap, it's looks like the OLB's are Michael Jackson.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Ronin

• Silver
  • Work hard! Play hard!
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »
DP

I have actually seen guys teach OLB's to take a gallop step on the snap, it's looks like the OLB's are Michael Jackson.

Joe

"Kill the Bee"?

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2015, 02:19:21 PM »
Ronin

Think a Friesian galloping in place.

Joe
Bill Walsh

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2015, 09:44:46 AM »
I saw this post on another site. The guy is talking about OSU's IZ play

I actually talked to their RB coach last year about it. It's IZ Zone. They block all the DL and they look for vertical movement. The RB is responsible for the Mike. He is expected to make him wrong. He presses front side A. If the mike is caught up he stays there, if the Mike plays over the top (of the double team on the 1) then the RB jumpcuts to the opposite A.

Read more: http://coachhuey.com/thread/68642/ohio-state-dive-play#ixzz3Wj0yiuPU

Offline matt8188

• Silver
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2015, 02:32:37 PM »
Me again. Upon my venture into reading through this zone section of this awesome site, I can see the different versions of teaching RB reads.  I know that the "godfathers" of zone preach reading the hats of DLM on both IZ and OZ, and I also noticed that the "youth" coaches on here seem to favor reading LBs.  I understand the theory that DLM will be mpp types much more often than LBs and the desire to make the stud LB wrong.

My question is that I imagine a read of a LB could lead to RBs running into the backs of doubles or. worse yet, dancing to find a space, especially if the DLM is a plus player.  Also, it seems to me that youth DLM are much less dynamic than older DLM, meaning that they wont "run" or move horizontally as much and it seems that that would provide a much quicker read, promoting One cut and GO.  If the LB shows up, that is because the OL didnt come off of the combo?  I would think that eventually the OL would get good enough at coming off to give my stud a slight advantage over their stud?

I teach LB's the following:

Rule 1: If my gap opens, I fill it.

Rule 2: If my gap closes, I scrape flowside (we base flow on the RB) with my eyes on the flowside guard.

Rule 3: If the flowside guard pulls, I redirect and hit the first gap pull-side.

Rule 4: If the guard stays home, I hit the first gap flowside. 
"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

Offline durfee4

• Platinum
  • Wing-T
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2015, 09:58:15 PM »
I teach LB's the following:

Rule 1: If my gap opens, I fill it.

Rule 2: If my gap closes, I scrape flowside (we base flow on the RB) with my eyes on the flowside guard.

Rule 3: If the flowside guard pulls, I redirect and hit the first gap pull-side.

Rule 4: If the guard stays home, I hit the first gap flowside.
you run a 4-3.?
Success only comes before Work in the dictionary

Offline matt8188

• Silver
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2015, 01:28:59 PM »
"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi