Author Topic: made second round of play-offs - now what  (Read 1855 times)

Offline northcoach

made second round of play-offs - now what
« on: November 02, 2010, 04:55:08 PM »
This is the first year my team has made it passed the first round of playoffs, we now play for the city championship and I am totally lost at what to do in practice. I am the offensive line coach.

The first hour of practice the head coach goes through either the offense or the defensive plays, I help with blocking assignments. The players do not ask alot of questions because they get zone blocking finally.

The last 1/2 hour of practice is individual time. I work on footwork and specialty blocks, been doing it for 6 days now and the players are getting bored. I'm afraid to do hitting drills because I can't aford to injure a player. Any suggestions on what I can do with the o-line during individual time will be appreciated.

Kevin

Offline COACHDAVIS79

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Other
Re: made second round of play-offs - now what
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:59:42 PM »
I would do some light hitting at the beginning of practice to loosen the boys up and keep'em fresh.  During your Indy time I would concentrate on different blocking assignments and defensive alignment of your opponet.  You can do some blocking games like King of the Board, sled or chute work, you can do 3 on 3 alley, blocking tag- many different things to do.

CoachKell

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:10:11 AM »
This is the first year my team has made it passed the first round of playoffs, we now play for the city championship and I am totally lost at what to do in practice. I am the offensive line coach.

The first hour of practice the head coach goes through either the offense or the defensive plays, I help with blocking assignments. The players do not ask alot of questions because they get zone blocking finally.

The last 1/2 hour of practice is individual time. I work on footwork and specialty blocks, been doing it for 6 days now and the players are getting bored. I'm afraid to do hitting drills because I can't aford to injure a player. Any suggestions on what I can do with the o-line during individual time will be appreciated.

Lost how coach?

If you made it this far, simply do what you've been doing all season, sounds like you are doing the right thing.

If the players are getting bored, what i do is play a little game with them, like having a race, or take them up to see films, or show them something to get them fired up.

Also we do not hitting once the regular season begins all practices are thud. 

Offline northcoach

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:51:32 AM »
Thanks,

Lost how.

I like to keep an up tempo practice, rotating between hitting drills and foot work. This last week I have been doing no hitting, lots of footwork. I am afraid there is something else I should be doing to keep these kids game ready. We are three days away from the game so I will try some light hitting tonight.
Kevin

CoachKell

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 01:04:07 PM »
How'd you make out?

Offline northcoach

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »
We won 38-7, our kids have never played better. Thanks.
Kevin

CoachKell

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 01:54:27 PM »
Good job coach