Author Topic: Great stuff on tonghts SKYPE. I love it when some one tells me I cant with Jack  (Read 11807 times)

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
I grant you its all good on a white board! For several pain staking hours I have watched film from last season, 15 seconds at a time because I dont have the latest and greatest computer.

I will say right here and now if kids had played their roles and done what we asked them to do.  We would have won it all.  Too much garbage! Too Much not being where we were supposed to be! Too much waiting for them to come to us.   

Yet, I hear all the Pop Warner Florida stuff and Wonder.  Still we went 7-2  that should have been 9-0 because the team that beat us isn't better than we are except in our heads!  Its like bowing to the Yankees because they have tradition.   FooK Tradition!   Lets make them earn it!   
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Coach Correa

• Silver
  • Loved by few but Respected by All
    • generalgridiron.com
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
I grant you its all good on a white board! For several pain staking hours I have watched film from last season, 15 seconds at a time because I dont have the latest and greatest computer.

I will say right here and now if kids had played their roles and done what we asked them to do.  We would have won it all.  Too much garbage! Too Much not being where we were supposed to be! Too much waiting for them to come to us.   

Yet, I hear all the Pop Warner Florida stuff and Wonder.  Still we went 7-2  that should have been 9-0 because the team that beat us isn't better than we are except in our heads!  Its like bowing to the Yankees because they have tradition.   FooK Tradition!   Lets make them earn it!   
Thanks coach for putting me on to 6-3 i won't sleep now thinking about alignment great stuff def seeing were my rules and count system will lead me so i can have some educated ?'s next Skype session.
Head Coach Tito Correa
Meriden Raiders 9-U
Offense-Hybrid Wing
Defense - Odd- Stack

Offline Joker number 8

• Bronze
  • FKA Adolphrollingover
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
I attended last nights Skype session and realize how uneducated I am.  That is why I have 2 ears and 1 mouth. What you all see as 2+2 looks like 2134x3891 to me. I can solve it, but takes more time.

Todd
Todd

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
Todd

As a coach I never stop learning. So that's the good thing about sharing idea's.

Dusty & I were the ones familiar with Jack's 6-3, I don't think anyone was saying you couldn't, it was more of a what is.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
Todd knows Jacks material. 

I had to laugh last night at the commentary on "the squatters".   A while back we played a DW team that the whole formation looked like they were trying to avoid getting any POOP on their shoes.   In fact they had a coupole of plays where they literally rolled the ball under the QB straight to the BB.  OLD SCHOOL. 

;D

Offline Joker number 8

• Bronze
  • FKA Adolphrollingover
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Offense: Single Wing
Todd knows Jacks material. 

I had to laugh last night at the commentary on "the squatters".   A while back we played a DW team that the whole formation looked like they were trying to avoid getting any POOP on their shoes.   In fact they had a coupole of plays where they literally rolled the ball under the QB straight to the BB.  OLD SCHOOL. 

;D

Joe demonstrating a squatter was even better. I wish I could have captured a screen shot.
Todd
Todd

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
Todd

I could of had one of my dogs demo :D.

I thought otherwise it went very well. I couldn't tell anything because other then taking over our computers we really didn't hear from you. I hope you didn't steal all my passwords  ::).

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Other
Todd

I could of had one of my dogs demo :D.

I thought otherwise it went very well. I couldn't tell anything because other then taking over our computers we really didn't hear from you. I hope you didn't steal all my passwords  ::).

Joe

What was the topic of discussion?

Jack
Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
Wing-T  Jack

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
Wing-T  Jack

Ah...ok.  That must have been interesting conversation.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
Jack

We would love to get you involved in a session. Very informal, a few guys don't use the camera, & others have it all going on. White boards, & demo's, in that instance we talking about the frog QB stance under center.

Your 6-3 came up from Shad, & I was commenting how well thought out it is.

I first used Skype with John Carbon, I found it an easier way to share ideas, less confusion. Now, Skype allows 10 at a time, we have had 6 or 7 & it fairly decent. The technical glitches for football coaches aren't too bad.

Joe
Bill Walsh

Offline Coach Correa

• Silver
  • Loved by few but Respected by All
    • generalgridiron.com
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
I'm free tonight if anybody is up for some healthy chalk talk was at J Wright's Hybrid Wing T clinic all weekend he's morphed the WT with pro style blocking schemes would make for good Sykpe discussion..
Head Coach Tito Correa
Meriden Raiders 9-U
Offense-Hybrid Wing
Defense - Odd- Stack

Offline CoachOCD

• Gold
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Multiple
hay Fook me no its Fook U

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
Jack

We would love to get you involved in a session. Very informal, a few guys don't use the camera, & others have it all going on. White boards, & demo's, in that instance we talking about the frog QB stance under center.

Your 6-3 came up from Shad, & I was commenting how well thought out it is.

I first used Skype with John Carbon, I found it an easier way to share ideas, less confusion. Now, Skype allows 10 at a time, we have had 6 or 7 & it fairly decent. The technical glitches for football coaches aren't too bad.

Joe

Joe.

Skype is a cool tool.  Let me know and I would love to join you.

I am moving forward on running Inside zone/Outside Zone this season.  Our entire passing game will be off of reads and so far as we get our kids together (QB/RB/SLOTS) I am finding I really like the offense.  Like I told you before it is all based on the Oregon concept of outside zone and inside zone with the RB sitting up based on IZ or OZ. 

Right now we have DRIVE (IZ) and STRETCH (OZ) installed with the read.  QB is getting his read right about 60% of the time...but I tell him if in doubt give it.  His read is being limited with him focusing on his technique right now but as it becomes more natural his reaction is speeding up.

Basically we look like this:

Drive call (IZ)
---------------------------------------E-T-G-C-G-T-E
---------------------S----------------------------------------------S
-----------------------------------------------Q
---------------------------------------------------R

Stretch call (OZ)
---------------------------------------E-T-G-C-G-T-E
---------------------S-----------------------------R----------------S
-----------------------------------------------Q
---------------------------------------------------

We doing this 100% no huddle and all we do is call RED/BLUE to tell the RB to line up on the right/left side and if we want DRIVE or STRETCH.   After that we can tag based on what we see the defense doing.

Right now we have these things installed:

SPEED - call for DRIVE to tell the QB and RB to run speed option off the near side (RB ) side if the DE is sitting on the READ...  This looked rough at first with the exchange but last Saturday the light really went on with the RB's and they get the spacing and location.  We fine tuned the footwork as well and that helped.

SWING - call for STRETCH to tell the RB to swing out on the near side if the DE is sitting on the READ.  The QB simply turns as if to read to freeze the near DE and then executes a pass to the swing RB.  This looks really good when our RB runs the swing correctly.

FOLLOW call to the QB to keep the ball and follow the RB.  Basically when the near DE and OLB are squatting on the read and we can use the RB to iso the remaining LB.  This was a hard teach but once the QB understood that the RB will cut off that First backer inside of the OT and he will take the first defender that crosses his face and to simply cut off his action it really started to pop.  This will be a big play for us because our QB /RB combo is really good (starters).  Our RB is a 95lb RB in a 100lb league and has good speed and agility and really aggressive.  He runs with a desire to run over someone so the follow call really allows us to use him as a lead blocker.  We have taught this from both DRIVE and STRETCH.

SLIP/SMOKE SCREEN - slip screen to the near side slot receiver coming inside as the near side TE peels off and takes the CB, RB fakes DRIVE/STRETCH.  So we call it when we see the NEAR DE and OLB sit on READ or sell out on RB.  SMOKE is in reverse the TE goes outside bubble and the SLOT blocks the first backer inside.  WE call this when the CB is sitting in cover 3 (small guy) or he is playing run support (QB READ).  I have a kid that is 135lbs and was one of our OT's last year and our rules allow for the overweight TE to be involved in the passing game.  we have been repping these every practice and we are starting to look good, the ball is out quick and clean and the receivers know to get vertical fast and get as many yards as possible.

Passing game - so the way identify our slots is NEAR and FAR...  NEAR SLOT is the read side slot and FAR slot is the slot opposite of the read.  So when we call BLUE the left slot is near and right slot is far.  If we call NEAR it tells the QB to take DRIVE/STRETCH and throw the ball tot he near slot.  FAR tells him to throw to the far slot.

NEAR slot runs a 3 step outside release fade. He does this every play he is the near side slot unless we tag him (example slip/smoke screen).  The release is something we are really stressing as I want the fade to be a short fade...so we have worked with the slot to make the release more horizontal on his first three steps and then climb vertically so the throw is short but extended enough up field that if the CB sinks hard (cover 3) or plays run fast the slot is in a open space.  The QB is taught to throw the ball on a line to the slot as soon as he turns and the RB crosses his face.  Last practice we had 6 total dropped passes out of about 50 passes. 

FAR slot runs a 3 step inside release aiming for a space just behind the heels of the first linebacker inside and then he cuts vertically up field for 6 to 8 steps and breaks inside attacking the first safety inside heels.  The reasoning behind this is his initial move put him in the way of a LB moving to the perimeter so it looks like run  from the get go on every play.  When we call FAR is when the SAFETY is coming down to play run and as the FAR SLOT breaks we start to see open space.  So we can call FAR and the QB throws the ball to the post.   

UP/DOWN is for the TE's.  UP tells the near side TE to release up field on a short seam and as soon as he passes the LB's heels the ball is coming to the inside over his shoulder.  we call this when the NEAR SIDE OLB/ILB are committing to run.  This is still a work in progress as both our QB's need to work on throwing the ball in the void as the LB's step up.  DOWN is to the far side TE same methodology.   Use it in both DRIVE/STRETCH and when we see COVER 2 or COVER 0.  We face on defense that runs a 56 defense and is cover 0 the entire game...so this is something I want to have in the quiver as their LB's are aggressive. 

The only other things we I want to install is BENCH, SMASH which are near side TE calls...BENCH tells the TE to run a bench route (4 to 6 steps and out).  Call this when we see the near side CB running with the near side slot and the near OLB is sitting on run.  Smash is the SLOT running/faking slip screen and the NEAR TE running the corner route.  Call this when the CB is sitting on the SLOT running slip and the near side OLB is squatting run/read.

DUMP is the only other call for pass near side slot runs his outside release but then slants inside and QB throws on his break.  Called when the near CB is bailing out deep (cover 3) and the OLB is playing run/read.   

So that is everything we are working on for calls from the sideline for the start of the season.  Big thing is I want the tempo to be fast...call RED/BLUE DRIVE/STRETCH get to the line...  Let the OC check for any other call...run the play.   

Our team seems to be made for the offense and I am really pleased with our QB/RB/SLOT/TE practices.  We have two more weekends and then I am doing a OLINE camp to get the oline spun up on IZ and OZ basics to get them ready for pre-season.

Jack

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
Jack

I know this is going to sound crazy. We have no call for where the back aligns. He knows just by the play. I won't go into our system here, but if you are interested let me know. The other thing we do is we don't call formations to start with. Rather we tell the WR's what we want for this series unless otherwise called. So we may start with H to boundary balanced(2x2), if we get caught with a 3x1 we just roll with it. This has allowed us to go even faster.

The only thing I would consider to add to the package is Stretch/Power, for us it is consistently our best play.

Joe
Bill Walsh