Author Topic: Great stuff on tonghts SKYPE. I love it when some one tells me I cant with Jack  (Read 11808 times)

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Other
Jack

I know this is going to sound crazy. We have no call for where the back aligns. He knows just by the play. I won't go into our system here, but if you are interested let me know. The other thing we do is we don't call formations to start with. Rather we tell the WR's what we want for this series unless otherwise called. So we may start with H to boundary balanced(2x2), if we get caught with a 3x1 we just roll with it. This has allowed us to go even faster.

The only thing I would consider to add to the package is Stretch/Power, for us it is consistently our best play.

Joe

My plan is one formation with the RB flipping sides based on RED/BLUE call and aligning based on STRETCH/DRIVE call.  These are 3rd graders so I want it clean and simple so we can focus on execution of the two blocking schemes for now and the calls.  I do plan on teaching the far side slot to motion so we can fake/run speed option to the far slot to the near side.  Basically run iz/oz under it or run speed and get an overload to the near side but that is something we will do later.

Jack
Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
Jack

I get you now, I didn't realize it was 3rd graders. I thought you were doing 14's.

Are you teaching 1/4 turn on the ride & crow hops? If so, let me know. We do & our rides are as smooth as glass.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
How do I keep missing these calls? Are you guys on some sort of schedule?

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
Chris

No schedule, just send me your Skype info.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
Chris

No schedule, just send me your Skype info.

Joe
Will do.

Offline Coach Correa

• Silver
  • Loved by few but Respected by All
    • generalgridiron.com
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
How do I keep missing these calls? Are you guys on some sort of schedule?
There not call's Joe put's it together and we all follow his lead on the group chat but a couple of us that have Skype will text 1st to make sure we both have a couple hour's to burn  it's real easy to lose track of time chalking it up .
Head Coach Tito Correa
Meriden Raiders 9-U
Offense-Hybrid Wing
Defense - Odd- Stack

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
There not call's Joe put's it together and we all follow his lead on the group chat but a couple of us that have Skype will text 1st to make sure we both have a couple hour's to burn  it's real easy to lose track of time chalking it up .
Look forward to joining you guys. Gotta get ready for the season.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
Jack

I get you now, I didn't realize it was 3rd graders. I thought you were doing 14's.

Are you teaching 1/4 turn on the ride & crow hops? If so, let me know. We do & our rides are as smooth as glass.

Joe

yes I am.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
Jack

I remember now you had mentioned it, I swear I am getting old.

Joe
Bill Walsh

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
Jack

I remember now you had mentioned it, I swear I am getting old.

Joe
What do you mean getting?!?  :P

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Undecided
IZ/OZ?  Now I'm interested in how Jack is doing that.  He has always found a very clean and simple approach to things. 

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
Mo

That's one of things about Jack that make him so great to learn from. He & Dave Potter are on the top my list for guys I want to meet IRL.

Joe
Bill Walsh

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Undecided
I agree. I really like Jack's stuff and would love to spend a few days with him. It appears things are very busy for him right now. I hope it slows down some for him. I also hopes he puts out a few more books. At one time there was a YDW:passing book and if this zone stuff works for him I'd love to see it. I use his stuff as the bases of our hybrid wing-t.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
I agree. I really like Jack's stuff and would love to spend a few days with him. It appears things are very busy for him right now. I hope it slows down some for him. I also hopes he puts out a few more books. At one time there was a YDW:passing book and if this zone stuff works for him I'd love to see it. I use his stuff as the bases of our hybrid wing-t.

I am actually setting down and finishing the 63 Defense book this year and I am going to work on the YDW passing game book next.  Things have started to settle down as I have new job that doesn't require me to work the crazy hours I was working or travel as much.

At the heart of what I am doing is basically running IZ and OZ.  Everything is COVERED/UNCOVERED first and foremost.  I teaching this to 3rd graders so my intent is in this order:

OL

1) Teach combo blocks using COVERED/UNCOVERED. (Joe one thing I was curious about is how do you define covered to your line?)
2) Focus on the COMBO BLOCKS first and based on DRIVE (IZ) or STRETCH (OZ) is how we move those combos.  When we DRIVE we drive the combos to the endzone when STRETCH we drive the combos to the sideline.  In this way we can open holes one of two ways vertically (DRIVE) or horizontally (STRETCH).
3) When we teach the OL to come off the first level block I am going to teach the UNCOVERED man to always take the LB that is filling his space/crossing his face.  So if an uncovered OL moves playside and he sees a LB crossing his face he blocks him...  The covered man will always block on basically.  DRIVE it is a drive block, STRETCH it is a REACH/FAN.  REACH if the DL penetrates inside or holds/FAN if he penetrates outside/feathers.  Basically I don't want a covered man coming off his block, I spent a ton of time this offseason watching film and the one thing I noticed is when the covered man came off and did it to fast and the uncovered man to rotate quickly enough to replace him it often lead to a DL getting into the backfield so I think that this will eliminate that from becoming an issue with my 3rd graders. 
4)  The OL hears only two things...the line call (DRIVE/STRETCH) and the RED/BLUE call.  The playside is always opposite of the RED/BLUE call so a RED DRIVE means DRIVE LEFT. 

RB

1) RED/BLUE is to align the RB to the QB.  RED DRIVE means inside foot aligns to the outside heel of the OG and his toes must be behind the heels of the QB the distance can vary based on the RB.  RED STRETCH the RB aligns to the OG the same manner but he align between the OL and the QB.  (using the old Chip Kelly method of IZ and OZ as like this as a reminder to the RB and how it sets who he reads)

2) DRIVE the RB is reading the FIRST BACKER INSIDE THE opposite OT.  IF HE SCRAPES YOU HIT THE FIRST HOLE INSIDE NOW. IF HE SITS/FILLS YOU GO OUTSIDE OF HIM AND HIT FIRST HOLE NOW.   It is basically one cut and get vertical now.

3) STRETCH is been the one that has been tough for the kids what I landed on has made it simpler for them and seems to be working.  The read the FIRST BACKER OUTSIDE the opposite TE.  IF HE STAYS OUTSIDE YOU HIT THE FIRST HOLE INSIDE NOW.  IF GOES INSIDE YOU GO OUTSIDE OF HIM AND HIT FIRST HOLE NOW.  So if the DE gets reached the RB knows he takes it outside.  Often the DE gets fanned and the RB cuts it inside.   

4) DRIVE (IZ) is our base once we see the LB's filling the inside gaps we call STRETCH to take the ball outside once we see the LB's filling hard. 

5) Both plays have a QB READ near side.  The QB is reading the DE on the near side. (NEAR SIDE is the RB aligned SIDE and FAR side is the side opposite the RB).  The READ is starting to look really good...a lot better than I thought it would be at this age.  We teach the QB if that DE near side comes inside take the ball step out and replace the DE and go vertical.    At first our three QB candidates were over thinking it and would mess the hand off up or go to slow.  So we took a step back and I told the QB's if in doubt hand it off...  If you are sure you can keep it take it and go nothing in between.  When we drilled this it took about 60 to 80 reps for each to get the first read right and off clean.  Once they did we got it to about 6 out 10 tries right.  We have two more Sundays and I think we can get that down to 7 out of 10 and we have not even started preseason so I am happy with that progress.   

Every weekend we have basically taken our QB/RB/SLOT/TE and aligned them to a 4 dummies seated in tires to hold them upright.  The D = upright dummy.  The D = FAR TE, OT, OG, CTR and the c = cone which are the NEAR OG, OT, TE.  I plan on getting some more dummies and tires but these are my personal equipment in my backyard so I am making due.

---------------------D--D--D--D--c--c--c------
----
--------------------------------Q

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
Basically I don't want a covered man coming off his block

Aren't you actually just running man at that point?
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.