Author Topic: strong side bounce  (Read 4655 times)

Offline coachnick

• Silver
  • offense dw defense gambler
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Multiple
strong side bounce
« on: February 04, 2013, 10:54:47 AM »
Now I am a 46 gambler guy. In fact,  I coach varsity football(defensive backs coach and running backs) and we run the gambler.  However, I really like this version of the split 44.  The way I see it to the strong side (of the split 44) verses a pro set the alignment is the same as the 46 (there isnt a nose in the 44).  Now in the 46 we have our lb's in 40 techniques(head up over the offensive tackles keeping outside arm free).  In the split 44 the Lbs are over the offensive guards (or stacked over the 3 techs) .  Now I realize that if you play the split, and base out of cover 3 the corner is there if the ball spills outside,  but that would be a decent gain by the offense.  In the 46 the wide lb's are there to hopefully prevent that.   My question is what specific coaching points do you teach your sam lb and your mike and or de to  stop the off tackle play from bouncing outside?  In a regular 44 the olb is off the line of scrimmage and can squeeze the off tackle play.  In the split 44 he is on the line of scrimmage........

Offline JrTitan

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: I Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
Re: strong side bounce
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
My question is what specific coaching points do you teach your sam lb and your mike and or de to  stop the off tackle play from bouncing outside?  In a regular 44 the olb is off the line of scrimmage and can squeeze the off tackle play.  In the split 44 he is on the line of scrimmage........

The same coaching points you probably use in the 46:

• DE keeps his outside arm and leg free and compresses the hole looking for the bounce.  His is the CONTAIN player.
  • SAM prevents any inside release by the TE and takes on any kick block by a puller or RB with his inside shoulder keeping his outside leg and arm free and shoulders square.  He is the C gap player and FORCE player
  • Mike scrapes B to C gap on flow.  On power, he needs to meet the puller or any down block by the tackle with his inside flipper.  Will is playing cutback and should be unblocked if the 3 tech is doing his job.  Inside LBs play CUTBACK
  • Safety is keying the TE.  If he blocks. he needs to get to the ALLEY and play inside out
  • Corners are SECONDARY CONTAIN and only provide late support

Erk Russell used to play his MIKE in a 40 tech in his Split 60 "Junkyard Dog Defense".  Split alignment to the open side and a "60"alignment (i.e., wide tackle 6) to the TE.  The man was a freaking genious!

"They call it coaching but it is teaching...You do not just tell them...you show them the reasons"

"You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important."

“…you have no bad habits to break...We either coach it or are allowing allowing it to happen.”

Offline coachnick

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:51:34 PM »

• DE keeps his outside arm and leg free and compresses the hole looking for the bounce.  His is the CONTAIN player.
  • SAM prevents any inside release by the TE and takes on any kick block by a puller or RB with his inside shoulder keeping his outside leg and arm free and shoulders square.  He is the C gap player and FORCE player
  • Mike scrapes B to C gap on flow.  On power, he needs to meet the puller or any down block by the tackle with his inside flipper.  Will is playing cutback and should be unblocked if the 3 tech is doing his job.  Inside LBs play CUTBACK
  • Safety is keying the TE.  If he blocks. he needs to get to the ALLEY and play inside out

Erk Russell used to play his MIKE in a 40 tech in his Split 60 "Junkyard Dog Defense".  Split alignment to the open side and a "60"alignment (i.e., wide tackle 6) to the TE.  The man was a freaking genious!

in the junkyard d that tackle is head up over the offensive guard correct?  2 gap?

Offline JrTitan

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:51:37 PM »
in the junkyard d that tackle is head up over the offensive guard correct?  2 gap?

He is an A Gap player
"They call it coaching but it is teaching...You do not just tell them...you show them the reasons"

"You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important."

“…you have no bad habits to break...We either coach it or are allowing allowing it to happen.”

Offline CoachDavis

• Bronze
  • Defense: 5-2
  • Offense: Pistol
  • Title: Other
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:28:42 PM »
For younger levels could you play the DT in a 1 tech instead of the 2 tech?
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything.
 -- Vince Lombardi

Offline JrTitan

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »
For younger levels could you play the DT in a 1 tech instead of the 2 tech?

Yep

Offline coachnick

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 10:57:58 AM »

coach jr titan would you recommend playing your dt in a 2i technique and moving your strong side lb to a 4 technique verses two back te?  thoughts?

Offline JrTitan

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 12:59:55 PM »
coach jr titan would you recommend playing your dt in a 2i technique and moving your strong side lb to a 4 technique verses two back te?  thoughts?

Have the SAM in a 4 tech and DT in a 2i?  NO.  The defense needs somebody in a 6 or 7 tech to prevent the inside release of the TE.  You can have the DT in a 2/2i and the MIKE in 40 - basically wide tackle six alignment.

Offline coachnick

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 01:38:06 PM »
that's what I meant..should have read 40 tech...sam stays in a 6i

Offline coachnick

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »
regular de technique/coaching points to the te side verses two backs?  the de isnt vertically taking off as we do in the gambler correct?  how far up field is he getting at the snap?  alignment?  how far outside the te is he?

Offline JrTitan

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 06:47:04 PM »
regular de technique/coaching points to the te side verses two backs?  the de isnt vertically taking off as we do in the gambler correct?  how far up field is he getting at the snap?  alignment?  how far outside the te is he?

Two pt stance outside foot back;  wide 9 or 8 technique alignment (1 to 1.5 yds off of TE); take two read steps/shuffle to near hip of near back key (do not box or get upfield); react to near back and blocking scheme.

See the thread below:

http://www.dumcoach.com/coach-marsden's-split-44-defense/defensive-end-play/msg227046/#msg227046