Author Topic: Gregory Championship Productions - Tackling / Defense  (Read 6880 times)

Offline Prodigy

• Silver
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
Gregory Championship Productions - Tackling / Defense
« on: March 30, 2015, 03:06:14 PM »
Coach Gregory,

One area where our entire program has suffered is in the fundamentals of tackling.  The method that we've been using to teach tackling, simply hasn't been working.  I went online searching for instructional videos / manuals etc. to help me learn to become a better coach to actually teach this in a way that allows the players to be successful.  At championship productions I noticed a few videos that featured you.  I watched the snippets and it looks like good material.

I wanted to ask you if you feel an investment into those videos would be worthwhile.  Is the information in the DVD's still relevant?

Semper Fidelis,

K
If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Gregory Championship Productions - Tackling / Defense
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:12:02 AM »
Coach,

I might be a little biased, but if you are talking about the video that was released about a year and a half ago, yes, it is definitely relevant. I had a first year tackle team, and we used a whole bunch of the stuff from both videos (tackling & pursuit and the defeating blocks and turnovers).

During one of our pre-season coaches meeting, we went through the video so we would have an understanding of how we wanted to teach this stuff.

Chris
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline Prodigy

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 03:01:39 PM »
Not advertising, only posting for reference...

http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/p/Football/Youth-Football-Defensive-Fundamentals-2-Pack_YFD-04472.html?crm=a-2229

It looks like the "born on date" is from 2013.  I was only asking because I stumbled upon some Cisar videos at one point and it turns out it was old / outdated information.
So you're vouching for these videos as solid?  I've been looking for some good videos on tackling because our tackling sucks, which means our coaches are doing a crappy job at coaching tackling...right?
Only response I got was the Pete Carroll video that was posted online, which is pretty darn good but I'm looking for more.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Other
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 11:58:58 PM »
Coach Gregory,

One area where our entire program has suffered is in the fundamentals of tackling.  The method that we've been using to teach tackling, simply hasn't been working.  I went online searching for instructional videos / manuals etc. to help me learn to become a better coach to actually teach this in a way that allows the players to be successful.  At championship productions I noticed a few videos that featured you.  I watched the snippets and it looks like good material.

I wanted to ask you if you feel an investment into those videos would be worthwhile.  Is the information in the DVD's still relevant?

Semper Fidelis,

K

that two dvd set is basically the stuff I teach my kids on defense (fundamental wise).  I will be honest I really like the HAWK TACKLING TECh and I plan on using it along with what I do as I think it matches up well for us.

Jack
Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 01:17:41 PM »
Not advertising, only posting for reference...

http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/p/Football/Youth-Football-Defensive-Fundamentals-2-Pack_YFD-04472.html?crm=a-2229

It looks like the "born on date" is from 2013.  I was only asking because I stumbled upon some Cisar videos at one point and it turns out it was old / outdated information.
So you're vouching for these videos as solid?  I've been looking for some good videos on tackling because our tackling sucks, which means our coaches are doing a crappy job at coaching tackling...right?
Only response I got was the Pete Carroll video that was posted online, which is pretty darn good but I'm looking for more.

Yup, those are the ones...lots of good stuff on them.
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline Prodigy

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 03:31:11 PM »
It took some time but I bought the disks and they are awesome.  I really enjoyed your experience with Judo and Aikido coming into play and some of drills that you do...they may seem dumb to someone who doesn't know better but I see a bunch of benefits to them.  Also, the Shed Blocking / Creating turnovers video is mint.  I like that one even better than the tackling video but they are both pretty darn awesome.

Just ordered the 5 set of doublewing.  I've been talking to Coach Koester and he's been trying to convince me to drink the kool aid and I think I'm going to do it.  I would love to get a copy of the book though.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 12:23:35 AM »
It took some time but I bought the disks and they are awesome.  I really enjoyed your experience with Judo and Aikido coming into play and some of drills that you do...they may seem dumb to someone who doesn't know better but I see a bunch of benefits to them.  Also, the Shed Blocking / Creating turnovers video is mint.  I like that one even better than the tackling video but they are both pretty darn awesome.

Just ordered the 5 set of doublewing.  I've been talking to Coach Koester and he's been trying to convince me to drink the kool aid and I think I'm going to do it.  I would love to get a copy of the book though.

Once you go through the book IM me and I will send you a bunch of Power points that will help as well.

If you ever need to IM me and I will send you my cell number and we can talk.

Jack
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 01:06:15 AM by coachgregory »

Offline Prodigy

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 12:31:15 PM »
Coach -

I appreciate it.  I'm going to buy the book today, even though John Koester is going to be in my neighborhood this weekend and offered to loan me his copy.  I'm sure that I'll have a need to talk to you in the near future.  I've been running Cisars single wing since 2011 and I need a change.  I'm hoping that the DW is going to offer me a better level of deception because relying heavily on power run, hasn't been working for us too well in this conference.

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 12:08:45 AM »
Coach -

I appreciate it.  I'm going to buy the book today, even though John Koester is going to be in my neighborhood this weekend and offered to loan me his copy.  I'm sure that I'll have a need to talk to you in the near future.  I've been running Cisars single wing since 2011 and I need a change.  I'm hoping that the DW is going to offer me a better level of deception because relying heavily on power run, hasn't been working for us too well in this conference.

I will send you a link and a coupon for the EBOOK. 

jack

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 08:28:38 AM »
Coach -

I'm not trying to change your mind but if you want more deception why are you leaning so hard on power? Did you try installing some of the more deceptives series? The dw can be deceptive but only if you install the deceptive plays/series. Same with any offense.

Offline Ronin

• Silver
  • Work hard! Play hard!
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 08:55:47 AM »
I'm not trying to change your mind but if you want more deception why are you leaning so hard on power? Did you try installing some of the more deceptives series? The dw can be deceptive but only if you install the deceptive plays/series. Same with any offense.

Most of the deception is predicated off the Power, IMO.  Run Power until they stop it, then run Counter, etc... because in order to stop the Power, there must be a giant bubble waiting to be popped elsewhere in the defense.

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 11:49:30 AM »
I think Ken is looking for something to click for him, he's pretty frustrated with the SW right now. And IMO, unless you run spinner pretty well, the base DW has a better misdirection game than the base/core SW.

I'm going to sit down with him for a couple of hours on Sunday and go over the DW.  I think I've got a pretty good handle on the different versions of it as well as where coaches get stuck with it to be able to see if he has that "yes, that's it" moment.

Offline Prodigy

• Silver
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 11:00:16 AM »
I've loved spinner out of the SW since the day I saw it.  I installed it with a group of 7-9 year olds my first year as a head coach in Pop Warner.  We had some decent success with it, however, I think I would have been better off at the time focusing on the fundamentals.  The next season I ran single wing 99% power + a blast play in AYF with a group of 5-6th graders and we played some good games but most games we just got hammered.  Another coach took that team this past season and went to playoffs running a real basic power formation.

Last season I coached flag (5-7) and thought it would be cute to try some spinner so I installed that too...we had real good success with the SW at the flag level, primarily I think because we threw off-tackle at them and they were expecting sweeps and we drilled them on a cutback.

I'm moving up to 7-9 and as it stands right now, I'm ready to abandon the SW for something a little more balanced.  Every system has pros and cons and I really believe that the fundamentals are what matter the most.  However; there is the factor of your opposition, their size, strength and intelligence.  We play in a league with some really big boys who are violent and fast.  By switching to another system, it's sort of a litmus test to determine whether I suck really bad as a coach and at teaching the fundamentals or whether there are weaknesses within the SW that make it a poor choice for the kids that I have and the teams I play against.

I've had conversations with Coach Koester about all of the little factors that make up a championship team and there's so many factors that it's impossible to really name them all and some of them you don't have any control over.  I'm hoping that switching to something other than the SW is a move that will shift things into my favor just a bit more....if all else fails, I can always fall back to the SW I've been running since I started coaching.

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 11:49:40 AM »
Sounds good. There is nothing wrong with trying something new. I find that searching for a new scheme is less important than searching for good acs. Don't get me wrong, I love the dw. It can be very deceptive. I just believe the sw is more deceptive. But it is all in how you run it. You can run the base sw and be very predictable or run a 3 or 4 series and confuse the heck out of people. Same with the dw. The dw belly counter is one of the nastiest deception plays around. But you need to run belly well which few dw teams really get into and it is a tougher install than some plays. I also just saw someone post video of a great qb counter that was similar to what we run but with a bigger punch. Great play.

Offline Prodigy

• Silver
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
The best system is the one that works for the coaches and the kids against whatever opposition you may face.  It may turn out that I'm less successful running a double wing than a single wing.  It may turn out that all I needed to do was add a few adjustments to the single wing and move a few kids around and we would have been unstoppable.  Maybe I didn't rep the kids with drills that would translate well to the field...I really don't know.

I don't think the 100 series in single wing is especially deceptive.  There are some things in the Cisar implementation that make it a little more deceptive than other packages, but not by much.  I think the base DW package however; I feel offers a fair shift from power to deception out of the base series.  With every play you're looking at a QB spin, which was borne out of the SW spinner series, but you don't get that with the base SW.  Base single wing you get more blockers at the POA for off-tackle than the DW (if you count the unbalanced PT), but unless you're running the Cisar-Squat you don't get deception.  If you move into SW spinner, you actually get 2 blocks at the POA because you're sacrificing your HB and WB for deception purposes (fake first, block second assignment).  With the DW you get the spin on every play, you get a good amount of blockers to the POA.

Just what I'm seeing on paper, I could be wrong here...and often am.