Author Topic: ohhhh no Im getting that familiar "here we go again" feeling  (Read 5092 times)

Offline CoachOCD

• Gold
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Multiple
Im with a new coaching staff again, we are a zone blocking spread team. The head O line coach is a self proclaimed "power I" enthusiast, and friends with this coaching staff for some 10 to 15 plus years or so aaaaaand the oldest age group he has coached is 11-12s.

ok so 1st day of practice Im watching him run his drills and helping out as the asst O line guy. He immediately starts installing in-on-lb shoulder blocking. He has never used zone and says we dont need it.

:'(

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Title: Retired
Re: ohhhh no Im getting that familiar "here we go again" feeling
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 05:43:22 PM »
So how do you run your base running plays which probably are IZ and OZ without zone blocking? I can't imagine trying to run power without a kickout and pull. Kinda sorta makes no sense. No, never mind, that's just stupid. I have no issue with IOL blocking, in fact we ran a version wof it and did very well but we weren't trying to run OZ with those rules either. Good luck with that.

Personally, I can't teach zone. I understand it and know how it is supposed to work but I wouldn't try to install it until a spent a few weekends with my buddy Joe. That's why I use gap schemes. 

Offline CoachOCD

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 06:04:17 PM »
point being we are "suppose" to be a IZ, OZ, read option,speed option, jet sweep team...he has no idea how to block any of it. He is another "hit the guy in front of you" coach.

To answer your question he only coaches...in - on - lb. The runs outside, he says are set up by the runs in the middle, and the FB block vs the playside DE

OC

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 09:21:03 PM »
As the saying goes, the only common thread in all your failed relationships is you.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:37:39 PM »
Im with a new coaching staff again, we are a zone blocking spread team.

OK So Far

The head O line coach (Head O Line Coach ???) is a self proclaimed "power I" enthusiast, and friends with this coaching staff for some 10 to 15 plus years or so aaaaaand the oldest age group he has coached is 11-12s.

Nothing Wrong with the Power I.  It's just not what anyone would consider "Spread". What does the Head FOOTBALL Coach Say about the blocking?  If nothing, then you are a Power I team with Big on Big Rules. 

ok so 1st day of practice Im watching him run his drills and helping out as the asst O line guy. He immediately starts installing in-on-lb shoulder blocking. He has never used zone and says we dont need it.

Again what does the Header Say?

:'(

Header best get the Staff "On Point" going in the same direction.  Gunna look awful funny when he Calls OZ or Stretch and the line doesnt move correctly.   

I can hear it now... 

Header: For crying out loud why did the OT/TE go to the LB and let the DE go right by him?

Head O line Guy: We dont look outside!

Header:  Why is every linemen looking back inside when the play is going outside? That isnt OZ??

Head O Line Guy:  Ah screw Zone blocking we dont need it! 

:P  ???
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:44:01 PM by Dusty Ol Fart »
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline DKTurtle

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Pistol
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 10:09:24 PM »
He immediately starts installing in-on-lb shoulder blocking. He has never used zone and says we dont need it.
That is the standard zone rule, isn't it? ::)
Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 05:29:44 AM »
O

So, once again you find yourself in a situation less than ideal. My question to you, what is your roll? It doesn't sound like you are actually coaching or have any actual input.

What you need to do is simply ask what are we running, & what is the blocking scheme. Otherwise this sounds like the typical Youth Football cluster*%^&.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 10-1
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 10:42:22 AM »
Sounds like he's confused...let's run a zone read bc we see it on TV but block it completely opposite then wonder why it doesn't work

If all he can Coach is gap scheme...show them power read or the coconut/Harris tackle trap
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 01:10:46 PM »
Zach

It sounds like that would trading one thing he doesn't know for another. It would be better to learn or declare what they are actually doing.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 10-1
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 01:42:25 PM »
Zach

It sounds like that would trading one thing he doesn't know for another. It would be better to learn or declare what they are actually doing.

Joe

I agree...sounds like its a lack of knowledge and understanding maybe an idea like this could fix it for them was my thought
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 02:18:29 PM »
Zach

Sounds like very little is known.

Joe
Bill Walsh

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 5-3
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 02:28:30 PM »
It sounds to me that the header is not communicating with his assistants. How can a header have his oline coach installing power I IOL rules when he wants to be running zone? How can the header hire a guy who doesn't know zone if he wants to run zone? Youth zone coaches are few and far between. I would make sure I had an oline coach that can coach zone before I decided to run zone. Seems illogical not to to me.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 04:05:06 PM »
Rob

I am not exactly sure what we are hearing. It all sounds very confusing. I think there is no communication period.

Joe
Bill Walsh

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 04:35:31 PM »
Too many Chiefs?

I have never heard of a Head OL Coach on a youth team....or HS team.
Collect moments, not wins.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 04:52:16 PM »
M

It just sounds very convoluted. I think this is where staff communication is important & roles need to be defined. Unfortunately I think more Youth Staffs are like this than we realize. It really sounds like a major case of Daddy Baller's & the usual backlash that follows. I know most of us here never have these issues, perhaps different issues. The fact that this continues to happen is very disconcerting.

Joe
Bill Walsh