Author Topic: $10.00 Solved Most of My Problems  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Seabass

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Assistant
$10.00 Solved Most of My Problems
« on: August 23, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »
I got myself into a bad situation last season. I was a first year O-line coach with no experience of any kind as a player and I was made to learn/teach zone blocking. It was so simple conceptually that I thought it would be pretty easy. I was also sold on it being easy by guys that seemed to know what they were talking about. They did understand it conceptually but paper and grass are often times very different. What I learned is that everything they told me was conceptually correct but understanding a concept and teaching it effectively are different. I was so wrong and our guys were terrible.....because I was terrible. We had some success due to some really good backs and terrible competition but we couldn't beat any of the good teams.

Part of me wanted to talk the org into changing their scheme but the competitor in me wanted to figure it out, if for nothing else other than to not admit defeat. By January I had 2 of the 3 guys that make these decisions convinced to change but I continued to try to figure it out. By April I was backpedaling and rooting to stick with zone. One major hurdle was My OC was the guy in my camp wanting to leave zone and now I was wanting to stick with it. Two things changed my mind and it only cost me $10.00 and a bunch of time that I would have spent on football anyway.

The first $5.00 I spent on Michael's clinic titled "If That's Zone Blocking Why Is It So Nasty?" it can be found on coaches-clinic.com. That progression made a lot of sense to me. We spent a few days using his drills learning "how to block". Then we moved on to "who to block", still using his drill progression. We are in week 4 now and still spend some time everyday on how to block but we are able to dedicate much more time on who to block now. I know Michael will be forever known as the "slow OK" guy but honestly, that's not really even the good stuff.

After I really got my head around how to teach our Linemen it became very apparent to me that our backs also needed help. I spent my next $5.00 on Zach's clinic "How To Train a Zone RB". Also found on coaches-clinic.com. I don't coach RB's but my son is a RB and we watched it together. He's 13 and after watching the clinic he says, "dad, this is what we need to do this year". I asked my RB coach to teach it that way and he agreed.

We haven't played an opponent or even had the chance to scrimmage anyone other than ourselves yet so I'm not saying we are awesome but here is what I do know.

1-Fasle Steps have been completely eliminated (1 board fixed that)
2-We are WAY quicker and violent to the point of attack (2 board and 3 cone fixed that)
3-We almost always eliminate first level and never get split by a DL (when you get really good at blocking 1 on 1 it makes 2 on 1 a joke)
4-Most of the time we are getting to our combos and when we miss them the kids can tell me why (2- cone fixed that)
5-The most threatening defenders are accounted for and being contacted while the play is live. (culmination of the progression)

I know there are several different approaches to blocking this scheme but Michael's approach and drilling progression has made our lineman able to play with a lot of confidence and violence. I also know that backs can be taught in various ways but Zach's reading/drilling progression has made our backs WAY more decisive because they have a pre-snap plan A & B and they are seeing a ton of different looks every day.

I won't know for another week if we are as good as our opponents but I am confident that we know how and who to block with relative simplicity.

Offline Monster

• Silver
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: I Formation
Re: $10.00 Solved Most of My Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 11:37:37 AM »
I wanted to reply to this thread just so it doesn't fade into obscurity. I think I've watched both of those clinics twice a piece now. Definitely worth the time!
Mission Statement:
To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

Offline Coach Correa

• Silver
  • Loved by few but Respected by All
    • generalgridiron.com
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:28:48 PM »
Interesting.
Head Coach Tito Correa
Meriden Raiders 9-U
Offense-Hybrid Wing
Defense - Odd- Stack

Offline Seabass

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 01:26:03 AM »
I figured I should post a progress report after my original post.

We are 4-1. We lost our first game but that was a due to a clock management issue on my part and some defensive issues. Our OL was pretty damn good in that game.  Since then we have been steam rolling our opponents. Our OL is by far and away the best OL in our league. In fair disclosure....our league is down but we can't comtrol that. We went on the road last week to play a team from 400 miles away hoping for better competition and rolled those poor kids as well.

We have drawn more flags than I would like but I'm OK with that. Our guys get warned frequently about being overly physical when it's not necessary. I'm OK with that as well. We are still 11,12 and 13 so we still do some dumb crap from time to time and I still get pissed like I'm surprised it's happening (probably never going to change). There are a few things I wish I could rewind and do over but I'm still learning and making mistakes myself.

I know we wouldn't be where we are offensively without the aid of Michael and Zach's clinics. Our guys are haviing fun playing the position that nobody else wants to play. I know that I have a few special players in my group because they aren't all equal but my bottom 3 aren't special and they win their battles more often than the guy across from them.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 07:42:48 AM »

We are 4-1. We lost our first game but that was a due to a clock management issue on my part and some defensive issues. Our OL was pretty damn good in that game.  Since then we have been steam rolling our opponents. Our OL is by far and away the best OL in our league. In fair disclosure....our league is down but we can't comtrol that. We went on the road last week to play a team from 400 miles away hoping for better competition and rolled those poor kids as well.

We have drawn more flags than I would like but I'm OK with that. Our guys get warned frequently about being overly physical when it's not necessary. I'm OK with that as well. We are still 11,12 and 13 so we still do some dumb crap from time to time and I still get pissed like I'm surprised it's happening (probably never going to change). There are a few things I wish I could rewind and do over but I'm still learning and making mistakes smyself.

I know we wouldn't be where we are offensively without the aid of Michael and Zach's clinics. Our guys are haviing fun playing the position that nobody else wants to play. I know that I have a few special players in my group because they aren't all equal but my bottom 3 aren't special and they win their battles more often than the guy across from them.
At that level size really has very little to do with one on one battles. Congrats.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 10:18:27 AM »
I need to watch those videos. My O-line didn't have their best week this week. I guess they got tired of beating up scrubs and didn't know what to do when facing a good team.

Offline Monster

• Silver
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: I Formation
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 01:54:39 PM »

We have drawn more flags than I would like but I'm OK with that. Our guys get warned frequently about being overly physical when it's not necessary. I'm OK with that as well. We are still 11,12 and 13 so we still do some dumb crap from time to time and I still get pissed like I'm surprised it's happening (probably never going to change). There are a few things I wish I could rewind and do over but I'm still learning and making mistakes myself.

Excellent news! I love hearing that an O Line is rolling.
Mission Statement:
To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 08:18:09 PM »
What would you do differently?