Author Topic: The Simplest Zone Scheme on Earth  (Read 7152 times)

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Assistant
Re: The Simplest Zone Scheme on Earth
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 08:44:22 AM »
We grab/punch and club on wide zone

So if the situation was:

B
      T   
   C  G
wide zone to the right

what would the guard do?

The DT is still the C's man because he's in the playside gap.

For us, and we really focus on the Inside Zone, the G would take a bucket "reach step" to his right with his eyes in his playside gap while throwing a shot with his backside hand to the near number of the DT.  You can call it a "club" or whatever.  He'd try to keep his hand on the DT as long as possible before climbing to the LB.

When the back presses the LOS, that will naturally bring the LB up to fill the hole.  When he's within arm's length of the G, that's when the G will come over and blow him out of the hole, fitting to the inside.

Now, if that DT loops across the face of the G into B gap, then the G will try to reach him by getting his head playside and driving and swinging his hips around.

That's basically the technique for all of the OL.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:56:04 AM by coacharnold »

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 11:16:16 AM »

For us, and we really focus on the Inside Zone, the G would take a flat "reach step" to his right with his eyes in his gap while throwing a shot with his backside hand to the near number of the DT.  You can call it a "club" or whatever.  He'd try to keep his hand on the DT as long as possible before climbing to the LB.

When the back presses the LOS, that will naturally bring the LB up to fill the hole.  When he's within arm's length of the G, that's when the G will come over and blow him out of the hole, fitting to the inside.

Now, if that DT loops across the face of the G into B gap, then the G will try to reach him by getting his head playside and driving and swinging his hips around.

Club is a wide zone technique similar to a hook in boxing except we hit your arm...although the helmet slap needs to re emerge.

Wide zone my guard better be more worried about the backer then the tackle. Tight zone... less lb more dt.
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 11:08:48 PM »
IZ, OZ, Stretch.......Wide Zone? (Same?)
Gents we are getting close to to semantics here.   :P

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »
All club is, and Zach can feel free to tell me I am wrong, is a technique that catches the defender and prevents him from going inside, AND WHEN HE HAS NO  ADJACENT HELP. When he has help, that club becomes a punch to the gut. If he clubs with adjacent he will get his fingers smashed.  If he punches with no help you will an inside slant and penetration.
All of that make COMMUNICATION amongst players, REAL TRUST from coaches essential.
(Caps is for emphasis, not screaming)
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 09:01:22 AM »
Coach Arnold needs his own column here on DumCoach.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 07:15:41 PM »
IZ, OZ, Stretch.......Wide Zone? (Same?)
Gents we are getting close to to semantics here.   :P

OZ, Stretch, and Wide Zone are the same thing.

IZ is different.  It hits inside.

In Alex Gibbs terminology, there's "Tight Zone" (Inside Zone) and "Wide Zone" (Outside Zone).

It's amazing how guys who coach the same sport can come up with 10 different names for the same thing :)

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 07:17:47 PM »
Coach Arnold needs his own column here on DumCoach.

--Dave

Aw, thanks coach.

I may start a blog sometime soon.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 09:31:34 PM »
OZ, Stretch, and Wide Zone are the same thing.

IZ is different.  It hits inside.

In Alex Gibbs terminology, there's "Tight Zone" (Inside Zone) and "Wide Zone" (Outside Zone).

It's amazing how guys who coach the same sport can come up with 10 different names for the same thing :)

I think McNally goes Inside, Stretch, Outside.  I just remember it was really different from the way I'd heard anyone else do it.  I think his Stretch is what most other people call Outside, and his Outside is that wide stretched-handoff play the Colts ran with Manning.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline flosman

• Bronze
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 11:07:11 PM »

For us, and we really focus on the Inside Zone, the G would take a flat "reach step" to his right with his eyes in his gap while throwing a shot with his backside hand to the near number of the DT.  You can call it a "club" or whatever.  He'd try to keep his hand on the DT as long as possible before climbing to the LB.

Are you meaning try to pin the DT inside or are you meaning just get your hips back to square to the LOS? I don't want guys to rotate past square. we are always preaching stay on your path.

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 11:30:44 PM »
Are you meaning try to pin the DT inside or are you meaning just get your hips back to square to the LOS? I don't want guys to rotate past square. we are always preaching stay on your path.

Square.

As I said earlier, we're more of an inside zone team.  For us, we prefer to run a Buck Sweep to pin the defense inside when we want to get to D or E gap.  Outside Zone is something we've experimented with for the past 2 years and only ran a handful of times in a few games all season.  We've used it for the "stretch" action that the Colts used to run so much of with Peyton Manning (not my favorite run, but it does set up the PAP nicely) and we've also used it for toss sweeps.

Our same basic rule for the zone holds up, though: work and reach block whatever's in your playside gap or help a backside teammate if nothing's showing immediately.  Eyes need to stay in the playside gap for threats.

The only time the G will be blocking a 2i or 1 tech DT on OZ is if that guy really loops way out wide and actually crosses face of the G, which is rare (and not a good idea defensively on a running down) but sometimes teams will try it.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 11:36:39 PM »
Mudd was Huge on Pin and Pull!  Colts did it very well.

;)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 11:35:52 AM »
Mountjoy posted... 8 pages of mudds pin pull / run game when payton was there. If interested let me know

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 09:42:08 PM »
Interested

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 11:05:41 AM »

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 11:41:38 AM »
Wha tis Michael's two board?

I missed this, or at least didn't have the energy to write it up at the time.

One-board is just a regular board drill, fully live, with a yard line or a string (between two tent stakes) instead of a board.  You win when (a) you drive the opponent back some set distance, (b) one of your opponent's feet lands on the wrong side of the line (so either getting spun or crossing over, or (c) your opponent has something other than a foot touch the ground before you have something other than a foot touch the ground.

Two-board is two of those side by side, starting at the same time, with everyone competing to be the first to win.  So it's a board drill with an extreme sense of urgency.  First to win stays, first to lose is out, guy ahead at other board goes to on-deck circle, guy behind at other board is out, guy in on-deck circle comes in to face guy who was just first to win, two new guys come in and face each other.

For zone, everyone starts with both feet to one side of the line (to the left for zone right and to the right for zone left) and the first step has to put the correct foot across the line, or you're out.  So everyone learns to step with the correct foot first, to get some actual movement out of it, and to get it down fast.  And it ends up being a short step, since a step that's longer than necessary can really hurt you.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.