Author Topic: Inside Zone Combos  (Read 12548 times)

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Other
Inside Zone Combos
« on: November 26, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving All

I like teaching man blocking with the OL face to the aiming point = chest/armpit of the DL.  We get good results.  This year (4th grade team) we didn't use Combos.  Had good success.  In years past (4th - 8th), the combo was not effective for me.  It was passive when we coached 4 eyes on backers, but otherwise they never left the DL block.

In stack situations, I WANT to combo, but cant knock those chilling memories of that unblocked backer.  To which I would say every time "Johny didn't come off".

I need to hear how you successfully coached the Technique of the IZ Combo. 

Thanks

Matt
What makes the grass grow?...........BLOOD!

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Undecided
Re: Inside Zone Combos
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 10:25:26 AM »
Teach the RB to read the LB

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 10:25:37 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving All

I like teaching man blocking with the OL face to the aiming point = chest/armpit of the DL.  We get good results.  This year (4th grade team) we didn't use Combos.  Had good success.  In years past (4th - 8th), the combo was not effective for me.  It was passive when we coached 4 eyes on backers, but otherwise they never left the DL block.

In stack situations, I WANT to combo, but cant knock those chilling memories of that unblocked backer.  To which I would say every time "Johny didn't come off".

I need to hear how you successfully coached the Technique of the IZ Combo. 

Thanks

Matt
I have about different 4 versions of stacks in my head, I assume you mean 3-3 and 3-4
I assume you are using a tight end, and then I would ask what are you doing with backside tackle and the fullback type player.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 10:31:32 AM »
Teach the RB to read the LB

Morris

Thanks, I will be talking to Joe about that.  I want to study both.

Matt

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 10:36:35 AM »
I have about different 4 versions of stacks in my head, I assume you mean 3-3 and 3-4
I assume you are using a tight end, and then I would ask what are you doing with backside tackle and the fullback type player.

Coach

If its ok, would like to leave the scheme stuff out.   To keep it simple lets pretend its a stack in a 2 on 2 drill.

l.....LB...l
l...........l
l.....DL...l
l.O..O....l
l...........l
l...........l
l.RB......l

Thanks

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 10:56:41 AM »
M

The big difference for us in teaching IZ & the combo's is getting our players to understand IZ is about getting vertical movement. By this I mean knocking guys off the ball.

We start by going against a gap stack. The ideal would be to knock the DL into the LB, the most difficult thing is the "Sling Shot Effect" that occurs when a blocker leaves to go to the LB. This is where the 2 hands 4 eyes comes into play, we always need 2 hands on a defender. So we work hard on when one player leaves to go to LB the other player must reset his second hand & drop his hips.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 10:58:39 AM »
Coach

If its ok, would like to leave the scheme stuff out.   To keep it simple lets pretend its a stack in a 2 on 2 drill.

l.....LB...l
l...........l
l.....DL...l
l.O..O....l
l...........l
l...........l
l.RB......l

Thanks
I don't think you can leave out the scheme. The scheme is how you determine what and how you drill. But I will play along.  The way I learned it, that defensive tackle, I assume is the read player. Drive that tackle out with good shove. Don't get to deep, or turned too much. You must be able to square up to plug backer.   You want the ball to go back door. The pre snap play side backer should never make the play. If the bounces out, you are more than likely bleeped. That backer takes 1 step forward, the double is off. and he is on that backer right now. It happens fast. True double team it is not, according to your picture with no scheme.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 11:06:03 AM »

We start block the gap stack & then work to the head up stacks each way. We never block the read man not even a pop. The real difference in blocking the head up stacks is the direction of the play. The splits & movement really come into play when blocking IZ. We never chase a player. If the LB & DL go away we will stay on the DL & go to the next level. We identify which LB the combo goes to this also helps our guys know who to get to.

Early on we concentrate on teaching IZ combo's because everything else we do will have some element of Zone blocking to it.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
I deleted original response. I didn't get into scheme at request of OP. I just gave answer based on info given.

Offline coacho

• Bronze
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 11:11:09 AM »
I teach my linemen that if a DL is head-up it's 50/50 on which way he will slant. This is when they must be technicians. If you have a shade it 90/10 that that's his gap he's shaded in. When defenses use a true stack we will split the stack for our advantage.
Using a OG/OT combo the OT would have the C Gap and the OG the B Gap. The blocking tech would be the OT would step with his inside foot to outside number and shoot his inside hand while he looks through to the LB'er. The OG would step with his near foot, on a 45%, to the sternum of the DL. We want to create Double teams as much as we can before movement dictates going to the second level. If the DL corsets OT's vision he block him and the OG will move to the LB'er.

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 11:11:49 AM »
M

The big difference for us in teaching IZ & the combo's is getting our players to understand IZ is about getting vertical movement. By this I mean knocking guys off the ball. I like the idea of knocking the DL off the ball.

We start by going against a gap stack. The ideal would be to knock the DL into the LB, the most difficult thing is the "Sling Shot Effect" that occurs when a blocker leaves to go to the LB. This is where the 2 hands 4 eyes comes into play, we always need 2 hands on a defender. So we work hard on when one player leaves to go to LB the other player must reset his second hand & drop his hips. The sling shot effect sounds interesting.  I would like to hear more.

Joe

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 11:16:58 AM »
I teach my linemen that if a DL is head-up it's 50/50 on which way he will slant. This is when they must be technicians. If you have a shade it 90/10 that that's his gap he's shaded in. When defenses use a true stack we will split the stack for our advantage.
Using a OG/OT combo the OT would have the C Gap and the OG the B Gap. The blocking tech would be the OT would step with his inside foot to outside number and shoot his inside hand while he looks through to the LB'er. The OG would step with his near foot, on a 45%, to the sternum of the DL. We want to create Double teams as much as we can before movement dictates going to the second level. If the DL corsets OT's vision he block him and the OG will move to the LB'er.

So if you cant see the backer, you stay on the DL?  Interesting.  Like oo7, would you also have the OG drive the DL out with a good shove?

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 11:19:46 AM »

We run IZ several different ways. It isn't always a read, & we do read different players according to a call. At the Youth level I tended to be a little simpler, not because we couldn't do all the variations but we didn't have enough practice time to work them all.

Believe it or not,the head up stack is actually easier to block & teach than the gap stack. Download my Power Point I go into some detail & it's a starting point. Then if you have questions it will be easier to talk the same language.

Joe
Bill Walsh

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 11:21:30 AM »

We run IZ several different ways. It isn't always a read, & we do read different players according to a call. At the Youth level I tended to be a little simpler, not because we couldn't do all the variations but we didn't have enough practice time to work them all.

Believe it or not,the head up stack is actually easier to block & teach than the gap stack. Download my Power Point I go into some detail & it's a starting point. Then if you have questions it will be easier to talk the same language.

Joe

I appreciate your offer, but this thread is not for me.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 11:23:59 AM »

O

This is why we are always very specific which hand we punch with. I agree agree with what you are saying as far 90/10, I just don't teach it that way to keep things simple. The punch for us is always with the hand opposite the Zone call. This makes the Zone side hand ready for the re adjustment.

Joe
Bill Walsh