Author Topic: Inside Zone Combos  (Read 12547 times)

Offline coacho

• Bronze
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Undecided
Re: Inside Zone Combos
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2016, 12:28:49 PM »
Here is one thought that I would like to share when discussing OL blocking. It takes patience, patience and more patience to develop young linemen. I tell my OL, the toughest thing for a young lineman to learn is not to block a  DL that is near to him but is not his assignment. This really applies when you start to combo block or run an area blocking scheme with young lineman. Many times it's easier said than done! LOL As the kids progress through our program they getting! Just a thought I was having when reading the post!

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2016, 12:34:31 PM »
Here is one thought that I would like to share when discussing OL blocking. It takes patience, patience and more patience to develop young linemen. I tell my OL, the toughest thing for a young lineman to learn is not to block a  DL that is near to him but is not his assignment. This really applies when you start to combo block or run an area blocking scheme with young lineman. Many times it's easier said than done! LOL As the kids progress through our program they getting! Just a thought I was having when reading the post!
I have never seen an o-gel in august. That normally happens about the beginning of October. And good ones don't just gel, they dominate.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2016, 12:41:40 PM »

LB's playing downhill fast isn't what breaks the combo's so much as walk up LB's. A walk up LB is no longer a LB but a DL. The way we run Zone we are reading the ILB anyway.

We have seen great success running Zone at the Youth level, but the devil is the details. You have to be able to coach all the moving parts & this often where guys fall short. The other thing you commented on was Zone can't be your only scheme, & it seems guys forget that. Zone is only the starting point.

Joe

Joe

Couple of questions. 

1)  Your Modern Youth Offense ppt mentions that you leave playside edge defenders unblocked unless they become an issue to which you would then base block the playside.  How often does this happen?  Is it an adjustment that you move in and out of?

2)  MYO mentions that the PST calls the combo.  Why does the T make the call and not the G or C?  What is the importance of his positioning and how his block effects the IZ? 

3)  Do you move in and out of Combo calls vs the same front, or do you typically gameplan the call and stick to it. 

4)  MYO does not discuss reading the ILB.  Do you leave him unblocked?  Does the RB aiming point change if the MLB is in a 00 stack or a 20 stack? 

Thanks

Matt

What makes the grass grow?...........BLOOD!

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2016, 01:28:26 PM »

Joe

Couple of questions. 

1)  Your Modern Youth Offense ppt mentions that you leave playside edge defenders unblocked unless they become an issue to which you would then base block the playside.  How often does this happen?  Is it an adjustment that you move in and out of?There are a few different ways will adjust. First we will make a base call, now everyone simply blocks the play side gap. The other is by formation or motion, this is usually our first response so we don't lose the combo's.

2)  MYO mentions that the PST calls the combo.  Why does the T make the call and not the G or C?  What is the importance of his positioning and how his block effects the IZ?  Think of the Tackle as a hinge on a door, he is the aiming point of the back. Once he makes his call then everyone else can make a call & know where to go.

3)  Do you move in and out of Combo calls vs the same front, or do you typically gameplan the call and stick to it. If we are having a problem we will often change what we want to do during a game. The beauty is because we coach it & all talk the same language it is a simple adjustment.

4)  MYO does not discuss reading the ILB.  Do you leave him unblocked?  Does the RB aiming point change if the MLB is in a 00 stack or a 20 stack? The aiming point never changes, & we always account for the ILB's in our combo calls.

Thanks

Matt

M

WTF is MYO?

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2016, 01:32:16 PM »
No. WTF is very different from MYO.

MYO is the Modern Youth Offense and WTF is the Winged-T Flex.

Pay attention, will ya?
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »
Thanks Michael!  :)

Joe - OK the aiming point is the T, but you would be reading the ILB.  Please tell me how you coach this to the RBs and why you began to do this?  Does RB take a presnap read on DL at the POA or no?

Thanks
Matt

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »
Matt

Don't over think it. The back purely reads the first ILB to the play side. If there is a stacked Mac, that is his read.

If the ILB comes down hill right now or does nothing then the RB presses the Zone side for the first crease. If The ILB flows hard over the top he replaces where he was.

We work hard on jump cuts, & will do drills where the RB reads a coach standing where the Mac would be.

As the season progresses the RB hears the combo calls & get to understand where the alleys will be. If you start teaching him this it becomes paralysis by analysis. He only needs to learn to read the Mac & go where he isn't.

JOe 
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2016, 02:02:50 PM »
I hate to chime in on a zone thread, but our rule was just that the backside O-Lineman (the uncovered guy) heads for the double-team, and he leaves for the LB when he needs to leave for the LB. That might be before the double-team happens, it might be after the double-team happens, or it might be never. All depends on how things develop.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2016, 02:21:49 PM »
Matt, I would very careful of zone blocking. You are not going to put in one blocking scheme and have it work for everything. Doesn't work that way. You may already know, but I thought I should throw it out there. Good luck.

Actually, if you were going to build an offense around just one blocking scheme, I could see Inside Zone working for that.  The key would be using tags and multiple plays off the Inside Zone blocking to attack different areas of the field.

Base play would be Zone Read
Add a pitch back to the Zone Read and you get a Zone Triple
Read the BSDE for a sweep with the QB keep up the middle to get an Inverted Veer
Do that same thing, but with a RB logging the DE to run a Jet Sweep.
Use an H-Back and kick out the BSDE for a Zone Counter
Tag the play to have the BST base out on a DE and you get a Zone Read of the BSLB
Combine that tag with a lead blocker through the hole and you get an Iso play
Combine both those things with a draw action and you get a Lead Draw

Your passing game would have be on point to threaten the flank via swing passes, bubbles, and quick passes, but it would actually be doable at the varsity level.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2016, 02:34:05 PM »
Actually, if you were going to build an offense around just one blocking scheme, I could see Inside Zone working for that.  The key would be using tags and multiple plays off the Inside Zone blocking to attack different areas of the field.

Read the BSDE for a sweep with the QB keep up the middle to get an Inverted Veer
Tag the play to have the BST base out on a DE and you get a Zone Read of the BSLB

Your passing game would have be on point to threaten the flank via swing passes, bubbles, and quick passes, but it would actually be doable at the varsity level.
I watch it every Friday, sat and Sunday. I am impressed though, that you put that together.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2016, 02:41:33 PM »
Matt

Don't over think it. The back purely reads the first ILB to the play side. If there is a stacked Mac, that is his read.

If the ILB comes down hill right now or does nothing then the RB presses the Zone side for the first crease. If The ILB flows hard over the top he replaces where he was.

We work hard on jump cuts, & will do drills where the RB reads a coach standing where the Mac would be.

As the season progresses the RB hears the combo calls & get to understand where the alleys will be. If you start teaching him this it becomes paralysis by analysis. He only needs to learn to read the Mac & go where he isn't.

JOe 

Thanks Joe!

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2016, 02:43:08 PM »
I hate to chime in on a zone thread, but our rule was just that the backside O-Lineman (the uncovered guy) heads for the double-team, and he leaves for the LB when he needs to leave for the LB. That might be before the double-team happens, it might be after the double-team happens, or it might be never. All depends on how things develop.

I know a lot of coaches that do this playside on Doubles. 

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2016, 02:46:15 PM »

Nice Coach.  Thanks!

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2016, 07:26:02 PM »
Matt

Here is thread on Rb information you were talking about:

http://www.dumcoach.com/offense-197/rb-basics/15/

Joe
Bill Walsh

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »

Your passing game would have be on point to threaten the flank via swing passes, bubbles, and quick passes, but it would actually be doable at the varsity level. There are a number of teams that throw the ball a lot that use zone as pretty much their only scheme. If you teach zone as a count system you can do all kinds of things. Coach Arnold has put together a pretty solid list.
There are of course more. For example zone right but have the RT pull left and trap and now you have a Tackle trap. Or you can wrap the pulling T.